ESU Loksound XL V4 Factory Reset

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all,

I've started having a problem with one of my ESU Loksound XL V4 decoders where the some of the headlights are only working intermittently. (They way in which they are failing leads me to suspect programming issues in the decoder not the wiring or bulbs.) I wanted to do a full factory reset of the decoder, and then re-upload the programming I did on the lokprogrammer software. I tried using the "reset decoder" option in the lokprogrammer software and setting CV8=8, but when I put the locomotive on the track it still plays all my sounds and doesn't appear to be truly factory reset.

Any ideas on how to get the decoder truly reset as if it was new out of the box?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
can you put up the link to the manual you are using? That way I can check it, and we can be sure you have the right command set.

Sounds like you did the motor decoder reset but not the sound reset. But I question whether you need to do this if you reload the programming... oh, you are not reloading the sound file, just your CV settings...

Sounds like you might be better off with JMRI at some point and write all the CV's....

Greg..

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Back to basics:
Headlights, intermittent.. Speed step settings?

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I was able to force a firmware update on the decoder which reset everything to factory settings, then reloaded the programming. Unfortunately the problem still persists so I'm going to try to use an unmodified original file, and then if all else fails take a look at the wiring. Any other ideas?

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I agree, a more concise definition of "intermittent"... any chance your throttle is in 14 speed step mode and the decoder is not, or vice versa?

Greg
The locomotive has three headlights in front and three in rear. Yesterday only two were working on either end. Today only one will light in front. There is no flickering or anything I just cant get them to consistently light.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most likely the extra lights are hooked to other function outputs.

Did you do the install yourself? That should give you the function outputs the lights are connected to.

Then you can test the functioning or change the programming as needed.

If you did not do the install, you could figure out where the wires go, or go to the person who did the install and get it.

You have not responded about the sound file definitions nor the stock mapping of the functions.

Greg

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I didn't do the install myself but yes they are hooked up to other functions and I know which ones. After the factory reset I reloaded all the sound files and default function mapping from ESU, but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So to continue the debugging of the lights.

the sound file will most likely have nothing to do with the lights.

So, since you know the function outputs for the lights, now you need to map the function outputs to a function key, or to forward or backward movement.

Looks like you have verified that the default mapping does not do what you want.

So, can you identify if the default mapping has anything mapped to the lights in question?

This is a concept that is difficult at first... you map a function key to a function output. also you can map some other attributes to a function output, like comes on in reverse or forwards.

If you want further help, then tell me what function output the lights are connected to, and the link to the manual for the decoder.

Regards, Greg

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Turns out the problem was simply burnt out bulbs, likely due to the LokSound XL decoders not having a regulated 12v supply for the lights. The bulbs will be replaced with LED's which are rated for a wider voltage range.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Small correction, want you to "get your mind right" (see cool hand luke movie) ;)..... LEDs have a very narrow voltage range, and need a fixed or limited current, you need a calculated resistor to restrict current... .. completely opposite thinking from incandescent bulbs which need a regulated or max voltage...

A piece of advice, if there is a regulated 5 volt common on the decoder, as opposed to "DEC +" which is normally unregulated, rectified track voltage, use the 5v, I can give you lots of reasons, but won't clutter the forum up here...

Greg

Riekus

Registered
7 May 2019
South Africa
Best answers
Country flag
Of course the XL has a regulated output for the lights. Not a dedicated 12V output on the decoder but if you couple the lights to FL or RL you can bring the voltage right down to 2V. I ran out of resistors the other day and as it was a weekend and I wanted to run my loco, I just turned the lights right down and ran the LED's without resistors. I actually think it still runs like that hehehehe.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, as you know, the voltage is not actually reduced, but just pulsed. It concerns me a bit because if someone resets the decoder back to "full voltage" your LEDs go the way of the Dodo.

Just conservative I guess...

Greg