Electric Points Control (LGB/Piko)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I've often heard forum folk say that the LGB/Piko boxes for switching electrically operated points are quite expensive.

I have often posted here about a much cheaper alternative from Gaugemaster, but it seems that it is still not known about.

I used these myself when I was an analogue operator. Instructions are provided, and they can be easily fitted inside a suitable enclosure.

I commend these to the forum....

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
cheers Gizzy, from a facination point of view as a layman, what the diodes actually doing in this pack, when the switch is activated

Last edited:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Diodes rectify alternating current AC to direct current DC.

The point motors work on DC which is switched to give the direction for the point blades....

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I made my own panel. just get SPDT center off momentary switches. One side of the switch connects to a diode in series to the supply, the other side connects reversed to the other side. Now run a wire between the outer sides of the switches. center of the switch goes each EPL drive independently as well as the other power supply lead goes to the other EPL connection. SO, only 2 diodes are needed as they feed all the switches. Plus one can individually place the switches on a marked up track diagram!!

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The bits turned up today and so I had a quick go at trying out a centre off momentary switch (DPDTCO in this case). 15V DC input to 6800µF capacitor, no diodes required! Performance is impressive and probably the equal of the LGB EPL Booster I currently use. If I go ahead with next year's extension, centre off switches mounted in a diagram panel will be the way to go.
point_control_experiment.jpg

Last edited:

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
I made my own panel. just get SPDT center off momentary switches. One side of the switch connects to a diode in series to the supply, the other side connects reversed to the other side. Now run a wire between the outer sides of the switches. center of the switch goes each EPL drive independently as well as the other power supply lead goes to the other EPL connection. SO, only 2 diodes are needed as they feed all the switches. Plus one can individually place the switches on a marked up track diagram!!

i don't understand that.
i always thought, the advantage of the EPL system was to save on cables by using more diodes.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
So effectively creating a DC bus (well2 actually) that provides drive for the point motors?

This bloke has an interesting way of changing LGB points using a 12V battery to supply the DC and loops on the switches so that only 1 positive line is needed.
He is a bit long winded but gets the message across

He also uses a solar panel to keep the battery charged similar to what I do to get 12V out in the garden.