Eggliners - Do they run well at all?

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! Tonight's questions are about Eggliners. Who has 'em? Do they run well? Are the new ones that are for sale better, worse, same? I thought it might be fun to buy one of the Easter Egg ones but would like to know if it will need any work out of the box to be a serious runner (more weight, or anything really). What are your experiences with them? Are they just a whim of fluff that gets displayed more than run? Thanks!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! Tonight's questions are about Eggliners.

Who has 'em? >>> lots of people, I have one
Do they run well? >>>> sure, they use the standard Aristo Craft 2 axle diesel motor block
Are the new ones that are for sale better, worse, same? >>>> same except the shell is a single casting, not 2 glued together, a minor thing
I thought it might be fun to buy one of the Easter Egg ones but would like to know if it will need any work out of the box to be a serious runner (more weight, or anything really). >>>> nothing you need to know, they are fine.
What are your experiences with them? >>> I have one, put a TCS 501 in it, rewired the lights for front and rear .

Are they just a whim of fluff that gets displayed more than run? >>> you asked this twice already.

Thanks!

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I forgot step 1......
Silly me.......

What's Step 1? Read Greg's Website. :fubar:

Reactions: 1 user

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have three of the eggliners and have found power pickup issues as described on Greg's website in relation to the Aristo Craft 2 axle truck. After troubleshooting with my meter, I initially thought the problem was in the bearing itself, but can now see that it may be poor contact with the wire. I'll have to take another look. I do plan to convert to battery R/C, but would like better running until then. Contact problem is really only noticeable running through turnout frogs, otherwise nice and smooth. I run them solo mostly for the grandchildren, so have no idea of pulling power. I might take a look at a few egghaulers. Easy to take apart and plenty of room inside for batteries and R/C :) I will rewire the lights for direction but might wait until installing the ESC since mine have directional lighting control built-in.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The power pickup on short wheelbase locos is typical, and I did not mention it sorry.... nothing wrong with the loco, just power from some switches. I run DCC, so was able to fit nice speaker inside for beep beep the kids like!

#1Photographer

Registered
13 Jan 2022
Louisville, TN
Best answers
Country flag
I have several. All Aristo. Don't know about the Bachmann version. Have run them 100s of hours at holiday displays.. Still run well.
An interesting historical note. Seems MANY years ago Louis Polk (Aristocraft) ordered (from his Chinese manufacturer) some rear sections for an Aristocraft observation car. Well . . .something got screwed up with the order and many more pieces were shipped to Aristocraft than ordered. Rather than ship them back someone at Aristocraft (maybe Lewis) figured out two of the tail sections could be attached back to back and a drive unit stuck under it and we'll.. . the Eggliner was born. One of Aristocraft's best sellers.