ECR G scale

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Just bought a load of G scale plastic track and an RC train from ECR to keep me busy in my retirement. Layout is complete now at about 500mm above the ground around a raised fish pond with a bridge. I've managed to do it by cutting and gluing rails with perspex joining bits made on my CNC router as in this plastic track kit there is only one size curve and straight (300mm) along with points. No other sizes are available so it won't join up when making random layouts. Now about to start maing accessories. 1st one I've made is buffers! Stops the train diving into the pond... No about to change the RC to longer range and control everything using arduino and chinese RC switches. I hope to enjoy this forum!

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Welcome to GSC, Micky, we'd all love to see some photos of what you're doing!

Jon.

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Registered
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Welcome. Seconded that we love pictures.

Paul

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Paint the track.. It will last longer..

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Welcome Mickey, photos are mandatory, oh and so is a sense of humour :)

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
I too have this track, biggest obstacle for me was track expansion with the Florida sun.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome to the forum! As you've found out plenty of advice here

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Wow! thanks for the welcome! Track expansion... Have measured it across a 3 metre length and it's about 20mm! That's from 10 degrees C to 31 degreees C (it was that here yesterday!). So I've fixed it where it goes across the bridge (width is critical for turning rolling stock). Now puzzling out how to electrify the points that will move...

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
.......Now puzzling out how to electrify the points that will move...
I believe that the Newqida/"Train" plastic points come with manual switches that look, certainly from the photos, like close copies of the standard LGB manual points switch; if that is the case, then it should be relatively easy to swap them for some LGB electric point motors, or indeed any other cross-compatible motor (eg: Piko, TL45), and then just wire them up to some suitable control switches and power supply.

Jon.