ECR G scale

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Just bought a load of G scale plastic track and an RC train from ECR to keep me busy in my retirement. Layout is complete now at about 500mm above the ground around a raised fish pond with a bridge. I've managed to do it by cutting and gluing rails with perspex joining bits made on my CNC router as in this plastic track kit there is only one size curve and straight (300mm) along with points. No other sizes are available so it won't join up when making random layouts. Now about to start maing accessories. 1st one I've made is buffers! Stops the train diving into the pond... No about to change the RC to longer range and control everything using arduino and chinese RC switches. I hope to enjoy this forum!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC, Micky, we'd all love to see some photos of what you're doing!

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Paint the track.. It will last longer..

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Mickey, photos are mandatory, oh and so is a sense of humour :)

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I too have this track, biggest obstacle for me was track expansion with the Florida sun.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! As you've found out plenty of advice here

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
Wow! thanks for the welcome! Track expansion... Have measured it across a 3 metre length and it's about 20mm! That's from 10 degrees C to 31 degreees C (it was that here yesterday!). So I've fixed it where it goes across the bridge (width is critical for turning rolling stock). Now puzzling out how to electrify the points that will move...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
.......Now puzzling out how to electrify the points that will move...

I believe that the Newqida/"Train" plastic points come with manual switches that look, certainly from the photos, like close copies of the standard LGB manual points switch; if that is the case, then it should be relatively easy to swap them for some LGB electric point motors, or indeed any other cross-compatible motor (eg: Piko, TL45), and then just wire them up to some suitable control switches and power supply.

Jon.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I believe that the Newqida/"Train" plastic points come with manual switches that look, certainly from the photos, like close copies of the standard LGB manual points switch; if that is the case, then it should be relatively easy to swap them for some LGB electric point motors, or indeed any other cross-compatible motor (eg: Piko, TL45), and then just wire them up to some suitable control switches and power supply.

Jon.
The newqida manual points switches are exactly like the lgbs, I have had to add some to used lgb points that were missing the switch they fit perfectly.20191201_103220.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmm - would have liked to see the train that turns into a boat :p:p

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would give them a coat of paint.. I do not believe the NQ plastics to be as UV stable as that used by LGB?

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
The newqida manual points switches are exactly like the lgbs, I have had to add some to used lgb points that were missing the switch they fit perfectly.View attachment 261045
I've stripped out the sprung loaded points switch boxes (Newquida plastic points) and using piano wire to push the rod added a servo benath my raised track - using arduino and servo controller controlled from my signal box (5 sets of points) it works a treat. The servo also flips a microswitch that changes all the bi-colour led signals around the points. Probably not the way it's done re block signals but hey it looks pretty especially at night!

Reactions: 1 user

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would give them a coat of paint.. I do not believe the NQ plastics to be as UV stable as that used by LGB?
No it's nothing compared to lgb or any other major brand. So far I have had my newqida track on my layout for almost 5 years outside in the Florida sun, so far not too bad. I finally got enough brass track to replace it (next project)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I envy your Sun! I've gotten spoiled by the mild Fall and forgotten what Winter's all about.

Reactions: 1 user

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Best answers
No it's nothing compared to lgb or any other major brand. So far I have had my newqida track on my layout for almost 5 years outside in the Florida sun, so far not too bad. I finally got enough brass track to replace it (next project)
I've stripped out the sprung loaded points switch boxes (Newquida plastic points) and using piano wire to push the rod added a servo benath my raised track - using arduino and servo controller controlled from my signal box (5 sets of points) it works a treat. The servo also flips a microswitch that changes all the bi-colour led signals around the points. Probably not the way it's done re block signals but hey it looks pretty especially at night!
Now here's an observation... If the train approaches the points and they are floating it will not derail it will just move the points to the direction it's coming from. So why did I put servos on my points cos that will now not work as they arew switched solid!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now here's an observation... If the train approaches the points and they are floating it will not derail it will just move the points to the direction it's coming from. So why did I put servos on my points cos that will now not work as they arew switched solid!
I'm not a fan of pushing through a trailing point - you've gone about it the right way IMHO :nod: :nod:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Considered 'bad practice' (forbidden?) for mainline operations, but quite common on preserved railways..

You need to research 'Omega loop', as an answer to your problem.. :nerd::)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Considered 'bad practice' (forbidden?) for mainline operations, but quite common on preserved railways..

You need to research 'Omega loop', as an answer to your problem.. :nerd::)
Hm not actually so, there are or were many installations of sprung points on BR single line Railways. Even including facing point locking, fiendishly clever those BR Signalling guys were.