Duo shunter - compatible with MTS chipping?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Quick question for Those Who Know.....

If an analogue version of the LGB "Duo" KoF (with the powered uncouplers) is MTS chipped, will the couplers still work? Or can they be made to work with some fancy wiring into the decoder functions?

Jon.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I rewired a Duo to use on MTS using an ESU sound decoder. I fitted a pair of small relays in the cab to operate the couplers & powered them from a 12v regulator. Maybe not the best way but the bits were "in stock". It works fine. I'll see if I can find some photos.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of photos now found.

0de2f16011084b349f7f83e24a96e3b8.jpg

7dde587725e84658b266027b47bf82e4.jpg

The old wiring was removed & the duo rewired.
The 2 relays in the cab work the couplers fed from a 12v regulator on the PCB under the bonnet.
The 2 beacons on the roof are connected to pulsing outputs from the decoder.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you get it running Jon, I'd be happy to test it for you on Hardyard.... :clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
If you get it running Jon, I'd be happy to test it for you on Hardyard.... :clap:

I haven't actually got one, Gizzy - just noticed one for sale and was wondering how difficult it is MTS-chip one..... :D
I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago saying that it wasn't very straightforward, hence my question.
Thanks for the tips and pics, Mike!

Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Jon...
Its not the Kof that carries you off,
Its the coffin they carry you off in........:rofl: Sorry...I just had to write it......

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hahaha, thanks Mike, always good to give an old one an airing, as I tried to explain to the nice Policeman.... ;)

Actually, I'd always had an image in my mind of a cartoon idea, with some one looking at a very tatty and grubby LGB shunter that another enthusiast was holding, with the caption "Nasty little KoF you have there...." :rofl:

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Gizzy said:

I haven't actually got one, Gizzy - just noticed one for sale and was wondering how difficult it is MTS-chip one..... :D
I seem to remember a thread on here a while ago saying that it wasn't very straightforward, hence my question.
Thanks for the tips and pics, Mike!

Jon.
P&S models in York has a digital blue version, but it's a bit above my pay grade at the moment....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
zero-cant answer your question 'bout chipping
but i would suggest getting one if its reasonable and in great shape-and then figure it out
what i think i understand about these locos is that they use the old style EAV circuit (thats the circuit that allowed the loco to stand until about 8-9 volts were reached-this allowed a engine or railbut etc to sit, ligthed on siding while a 'regular loco shunted at lower voltage)

-except on this loco, not only does the motor have this threshold before it moves, but so do the uncoupler motors. When the threshold voltage is reached the uncoupler drops and then when a higher voltage is reached it returns to normal-so to speculate (which i know is worth zilch) one would need to be able to by pass the resistors i would think, or route 2 separate voltage levels to the wires-ie similar to bright and dim on a loco lamp

it is perhaps the single, most fun engine i own

and Mike-nice pic with the orange coated figure-very nicely done!

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
Massoth has published a schematic on their forum for chipping without relays. You will need to build 2 circuits then.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
palmerston said:
Massoth has published a schematic on their forum for chipping without relays. You will need to build 2 circuits then.

Do you have a direct link to that post on the forum please?

Thanks,

Jon.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
No,
viewing for members only :thumbdown:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman