A question. Do you spray the point rails with this, or do you spray the point motor - or both. I just wondered, because I have sprayed the point hinge rails with WD40 in the past, but not the actual motor. I have only sprayed the motor and switching bar with compressed air - to help remove dirt. I would be interested to know if you can use the GT85 on the motor and/or the sliding mechanism as well.
Don’t think so, I have both and the look, feel and smell quite different.So is GT85 the UK marketing of WD40? It has all the same description and features and owned by the WD40 company.
Reading more, it has teflon in it... wonder what the carrier is? Does it dry completely?
And if you pull an EPL motor apart be very careful that you understand how it came apart so you can put it back together. Get 1 thing wrong on the rebuild and they will not work at all. Best suggestion is to take a lot of digital pics at close up if you can.If you have early EPL point motors, you really should check that the ceramic permanent magnets in the rotor part of the motor haven't fractured and are restricting movement of the mechanism. You need to pull the EPL point motor completely apart to see the rotor assembly properly.
The later EPL point motors had a different rotor design which overcame that particular issue.
Just wonder if there had been some carp under the point that got dislodged when you removed the motor? I find I get that now and again particularly after rain where some of the loose ballast get moved about.Whilst testing my uncoupling ramps one of my point started to play up. I am using a Revolution to operate the points, and the point would only move one way with the control, so after ensuring there was no debris preventing the movement, first I swapped the wires, the point still failed in the same direction, so not the Revo (phew!). Removing the motor, and using the same power supply as I use on the Revo I tested the motor, exact same fault. Top off, and nothing looked out of place, no grit and no damp. A quick wipe around and power applied with the top removed, worked both directions, fully assembled, and still working. Back onto the point and all is fine.
I really hate it when I can't find a cause for a fault, but the fault clears, maybe it just wanted a clean