Dodgy Points

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of LGB R1 points that are in need of a bit of lubrication. Any suggestions as to the best stuff to use?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Graphite power, it doesn't collect dirt.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Graphite power, it doesn't collect dirt.
Second that suggestion, mine have been outside in the Australian climate for over 12 months with no problems.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe a disassembly and clean and polish inside would work.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I like a spray with GT85, also provides some weatherproofing

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I use a PFTE spray too.

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks folks, I'll give it a proper clean atry the suggestions

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I like a spray with GT85, also provides some weatherproofing

A question. Do you spray the point rails with this, or do you spray the point motor - or both. I just wondered, because I have sprayed the point hinge rails with WD40 in the past, but not the actual motor. I have only sprayed the motor and switching bar with compressed air - to help remove dirt. I would be interested to know if you can use the GT85 on the motor and/or the sliding mechanism as well.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've been giving my dirty points a good clean, which seems to have helped. I'll be breaking out some GT85 or similar stuff, but I think one of the springs has started to fail.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So is GT85 the UK marketing of WD40? It has all the same description and features and owned by the WD40 company.

Reading more, it has teflon in it... wonder what the carrier is? Does it dry completely?

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I usually spray the point rail hinges and shoot some into the motor's throwbar rack and pinion. I don't deliberately spray the motor shaft bushings (LGB says not lubricate these) but I'm sure some overspray gets on the pinion end bushing. The carrier ends up evaporating just leaving the PFTE. I only do this if a point motor starts acting up. Also, I've learned to check the point rails carefully for debris that may be interfering before resorting to the spray. I'm using Solder Seal Gunk brand Teflon spray lubricant which, if I've read the GT85 description correctly, is basically the same stuff.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
So is GT85 the UK marketing of WD40? It has all the same description and features and owned by the WD40 company.

Reading more, it has teflon in it... wonder what the carrier is? Does it dry completely?
Don’t think so, I have both and the look, feel and smell quite different.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If you have early EPL point motors, you really should check that the ceramic permanent magnets in the rotor part of the motor haven't fractured and are restricting movement of the mechanism. You need to pull the EPL point motor completely apart to see the rotor assembly properly.

The later EPL point motors had a different rotor design which overcame that particular issue.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you have early EPL point motors, you really should check that the ceramic permanent magnets in the rotor part of the motor haven't fractured and are restricting movement of the mechanism. You need to pull the EPL point motor completely apart to see the rotor assembly properly.

The later EPL point motors had a different rotor design which overcame that particular issue.
And if you pull an EPL motor apart be very careful that you understand how it came apart so you can put it back together. Get 1 thing wrong on the rebuild and they will not work at all. Best suggestion is to take a lot of digital pics at close up if you can.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst testing my uncoupling ramps one of my point started to play up. I am using a Revolution to operate the points, and the point would only move one way with the control, so after ensuring there was no debris preventing the movement, first I swapped the wires, the point still failed in the same direction, so not the Revo (phew!). Removing the motor, and using the same power supply as I use on the Revo I tested the motor, exact same fault. Top off, and nothing looked out of place, no grit and no damp. A quick wipe around and power applied with the top removed, worked both directions, fully assembled, and still working. Back onto the point and all is fine.
I really hate it when I can't find a cause for a fault, but the fault clears, maybe it just wanted a clean :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst testing my uncoupling ramps one of my point started to play up. I am using a Revolution to operate the points, and the point would only move one way with the control, so after ensuring there was no debris preventing the movement, first I swapped the wires, the point still failed in the same direction, so not the Revo (phew!). Removing the motor, and using the same power supply as I use on the Revo I tested the motor, exact same fault. Top off, and nothing looked out of place, no grit and no damp. A quick wipe around and power applied with the top removed, worked both directions, fully assembled, and still working. Back onto the point and all is fine.
I really hate it when I can't find a cause for a fault, but the fault clears, maybe it just wanted a clean :)
Just wonder if there had been some carp under the point that got dislodged when you removed the motor? I find I get that now and again particularly after rain where some of the loose ballast get moved about.