Do peko make an R2 curve to match the R2 LGB ??

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, do peko make an R2 curve to match the R2 LGB ??.
No, they don't.

I have it in the back of my mind is that one of the boutique G Scale makers may, but I can't recall which one.... and it is likely to be expensive.

Train Line 45 does a 900mm radius turnout which is wider than R2 (~780mm) but tighter than R3 (~1195mm)

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
No, they don't.

I have it in the back of my mind is that one of the boutique G Scale makers may, but I can't recall which one.... and it is likely to be expensive.

Train Line 45 does a 900mm radius turnout which is wider than R2 (~780mm) but tighter than R3 (~1195mm)
Interesting link, "£200.00 for 180deg" but cheaper down the LGB road.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Incidentally it is Piko, peko not at all right but often confused with Peco who do make G scale track and a few accesories to go with their track plus self build parts.

In us and other countries they sometimes say Peco for Piko which confuses the hell out of me. Piko should be pronounced Pyke o where as Peco should be Pee co. Well that is what my secondary school edumacatiun told me anyway.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Incidentally it is Piko, peko not at all right but often confused with Peco who do make G scale track and a few accesories to go with their track plus self build parts.

In us and other countries they sometimes say Peco for Piko which confuses the hell out of me. Piko should be pronounced Pyke o where as Peco should be Pee co. Well that is what my secondary school edumacatiun told me anyway.
Ah! i thought Peco "UK" & Peko "USA" was two completely different companies. With Peco UK being a pain to use on 45mm & Peko US a very good match for LGB. IE: LINK UK & Peko USA ??

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! i thought Peco "UK" & Peko "USA" was two completely different companies. With Peco UK being a pain to use on 45mm & Peko US a very good match for LGB. IE: LINK UK & Peko USA ??
Your Peko USA goes to the Piko site. See what I mean about the pronunciation, Peco the UK company do sell in the US.

RlwPowell

Registered
31 May 2022
Kenilworth, UK
Best answers
Country flag
PECO or PIKO?

MORE: Forget that - I see it's been worked out

Richard

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains and Aristo track are available in 5' radius / 10' diameter = LGB R2

"R number" is NOT standard between manufacturers..

Greg

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
USA Trains and Aristo track are available in 5' radius / 10' diameter = LGB R2

"R number" is NOT standard between manufacturers..

Greg
Hi Greg, it just seemed on LGB the suggested differance between R1 & R2 is a lot at 350mm, centres. I will have to set up a test track & see what I can get away with on R1 & R2.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
As noted earlier, the Trainline 45 medium points are 900mm radius, which is non-trivially larger than LGB R2 at ~780mm!
Sorry - missed your earlier post. However, when I installed some TL R2 points they simply dropped in where I’d previously had an LGB R2 curve - weird.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry - missed your earlier post. However, when I installed some TL R2 points they simply dropped in where I’d previously had an LGB R2 curve - weird.
Do you know I think I had that as a plan on my Railway in Hemel, bought the point after checking that they were a perfect fit for an LGB R2 curve but never got round to fitting it before the line was dismantled. But it eventually got used on my new line though not in that configuration. Silly really as it would have made the run round potentially longer at my Harzegerode Station always a thorny place to get a train reversed and shunted with the limitations on train length.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe they’re made to a revised spec these days. I’m now curious so I’ll check mine out against a new LGB R2 curve when I get a chance.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Do you know I think I had that as a plan on my Railway in Hemel, bought the point after checking that they were a perfect fit for an LGB R2 curve but never got round to fitting it before the line was dismantled. But it eventually got used on my new line though not in that configuration. Silly really as it would have made the run round potentially longer at my Harzegerode Station always a thorny place to get a train reversed and shunted with the limitations on train length.
Looks like I was wrong (again) have just taken an LGB R2 curve to compare with a TL45 R2 point, quite a difference in length as the pics below show.
D95E517E-1CCC-430E-A9BC-5A809E702E50.jpeg
2DDF43CF-F783-4A9F-B5AF-E1E6F2549B84.jpeg

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh - thanks Jon. I was going bonkers looking at where I’d taken out a TL R2 point and dropped an R2 curve in. I realise now I’d pruned the curve to the same length as the point but as I’d just reused the rail clamps that attached the point to locate the curve (as opposed to the factory fit fishplates) it all looked “normal”.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
... Piko should be pronounced Pyke o where as Peco should be Pee co. Well that is what my secondary school edumacatiun told me anyway.
Ah but Piko is a German firm, therefore the pronunciation is more like "peeco" but a short "ee". In Germany they seem to pronounce our UK firm Peco more like "pehco" or "pecko" again with a short "eh".

As a Brit it did throw me at first when I went to train shows in Germany as I'd previously been saying "Pyke-o" for decades and I thought they were talking about Peco. I find I sometimes still use that pronunciation when talking to other Brits just to clarify which firm we're talking about, but otherwise I try and remember the German pronunciation :)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ah but Piko is a German firm, therefore the pronunciation is more like "peeco" but a short "ee". In Germany they seem to pronounce our UK firm Peco more like "pehco" or "pecko" again with a short "eh".

As a Brit it did throw me at first when I went to train shows in Germany as I'd previously been saying "Pyke-o" for decades and I thought they were talking about Peco. I find I sometimes still use that pronunciation when talking to other Brits just to clarify which firm we're talking about, but otherwise I try and remember the German pronunciation :)
Indeed it is a German Company and I would not doubt what you say. But I go by what I here some German and US bods say. Tis a tricky one the correct German or US pronunciation of Peco, Piko then the wrongly mentioned Peko! I did work with a Yorkshireman once that used to pronounce Peco as Peko. So who am I to judge what is right, wrong or even wrongly typed?