R2 Points for LGB.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone succesflly made a R2 point using an LGB R2 curved section of track and a straight track? I was thinking of having an attempt ? Making a template and cutting the sleepers to fit eachother sticking them together and cutting the track to suit may be 3D printing a frog and check rails.

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite what you're asking but I believe there are R2 point kits out there: Weiche links R2, 22,5° Kleinbahnschwellen

At very least may give a sense of the require parts. I would imagine the frog is the more unique/complex part but perhaps solvable through 3D printing?

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite what you're asking but I believe there are R2 point kits out there: Weiche links R2, 22,5° Kleinbahnschwellen

At very least may give a sense of the require parts. I would imagine the frog is the more unique/complex part but perhaps solvable through 3D printing?
Thanks, i have seen them they have a live frog as i run Track power DDC not the best. I will have to contemplate.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, i have seen them they have a live frog as i run Track power DDC not the best. I will have to contemplate.
You don't need to energise the frog.

I have some close to R2 from Train line which looked better than an R1 with a short curve I once made up on a R2 bend.

PIKO R3 is a smaller radius than LGB somewhere between LGB R2 and R3. Might be easier to modify one of these to LGB R2....

Last edited:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone successfully made a R2 point using an LGB R2 curved section of track and a straight track? I was thinking of having an attempt ? Making a template and cutting the sleepers to fit eachother sticking them together and cutting the track to suit may be 3D printing a frog and check rails.
Have a look at this site.
I have used it to make a template for a curved set of points.
Bit of a learning curve but worth it.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have used a few if the Piko R2’s. Not sure why you have issues with DCC and a live frog, it is entirely what you need. I show below how I have mount3 a micro switch using the bar to be activated spto swop the frog polarity when the point is changed. The bit of plasticard helps to keep the switch disguised and when used outside helps to keep crud off. The switches have a good life outdoirs. Here is a link to the type appear to be similar to what I have used, they are easily available at Shows.

One problem I had was occasional shorts with the rails being a bit close after the frog, I have had this issue with LGB R3 points as well, the loco skate touches both rails as it passes, bending the skate up slightly stops this issue, but best to remove the skate as they are quite strong and tricky to bend.

IMG_7865.jpeg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I thought trainline 45 in Germany made a 6 foot diameter turnout.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I thought trainline 45 in Germany made a 6 foot diameter turnout.
They make 90cm, 120cm and 210cm radius plus a 120/210cm curved switch/point.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I too have used Trainline R2 points. They're quite tricky to track down though. I don't think there are any suppliers in the UK.

Rik

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I too have used Trainline R2 points. They're quite tricky to track down though. I don't think there are any suppliers in the UK.

Rik
I think the Trainline R2 is made to order, so a little more of a commitment from a supplier?

I don't see many R2 curves offered, either.. They are out there, though.

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I think the Trainline R2 is made to order, so a little more of a commitment from a supplier?

I don't see many R2 curves offered, either.. They are out there, though.

PhilP
already have some R2 curves I will look at trainline guys GRS do an R2 point i think but the sleepers are different and the price has crept up quite a bit recently.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
what is R2 curve referd as it has 2 measurments in the LGB catalogue.
Are the measurements doubled? Radius from the centre and diameter from edge to edge of a circle through the centre.

R1 is approx 4 ft diameter (1.2 m), R2 approx 5.25 ft, Piko R3 approx 6.75 and LGB R3 approx 8 ft....

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
R2, as with R1, R3 etc as nomenclature for rail curves is pointless without the overrider of the manufacture, as Gizzy Gizzy has already pointed out, especially with the LGB/Piko R3

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
On this photo, the inside (lowest) curve is LGB R1, the middle curve is LGB R2, and the outer curve is Piko R3. Note the squarer sleepers on Piko compared to the LGB more rounded ones.

To the top left behind the post is a Trainline R2 point in parallel with an R1 curve. This point leads on to a LGB R1 point.

LGB R3 would be the next diameter if I wanted, or rather could fit, quadruple track,...

475413_thumbnail_20230221_103604.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I got my Trainline R2’s in a box so they do sell made up ones though things may have changed. My first one in Hemel was put in place exactly where an R2 curve was and fitted to perfection.