Disguising unwanted backgrounds

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Picking up on an earlier topic, thanks to a suggestion from a fellow modeller, I have now invested in some camouflage netting bought cheaply (£15) on a well known auction website. What do you think?

Before ......
file.php

...... and after
file.php

Rik

Reactions: 11 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Does t' job, dunnerit? :clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great for photography. Does it look like that for real or does the 'material' show.

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
That looks much better... I may have to get some for myself!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me!

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A few shots from different distances to give you and idea of what it's like.

Extreme close-up - two layers.
IMG_8004.JPG

Two layers from about a foot away
IMG_8003.JPG

Two layers from about 2m away
IMG_8005.JPG

One layer -about a metre away
IMG_8007.JPG

One layer from about 2m away
IMG_8008-001.JPG

Not perfect, but a lot better than the plain fence

Rik

Attachments

• IMG_8007.JPG
    IMG_8007.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 users

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I created the Arrowhead Township on my layout, it was slap bang next to a fence and I wanted rid of it in the background.
So I got out some photos, played about with Photoshop and had the result blown up and printed on vinyl at 8 ft by 6 ft.
At first Arrowhead was a lumber town but now it is a coal mining establishment.
The background has stayed the same though.

arrowhead makeover  from front 1.jpg
arrowhead makeover  from front 2.jpgarrowhead makeover  from right vertical 1.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the different pics of the camo netting. I'll be ordering some too.
Your pic of the fence covered shows that it really is useful. I should be able to get some new viewing angles for pics of my trains.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Picking up on an earlier topic, thanks to a suggestion from a fellow modeller, I have now invested in some camouflage netting bought cheaply (£15) on a well known auction website. What do you think?

Before ......
file.php

...... and after
file.php

Rik
Superb out of the bix thinking Rik. Definitely works in your shot. I guess it is one if those things that is going to work in certain situations. Probably a metre or so behind the layout where you are not going to be so close will be fine. My situation is that I have a fence within 8 inches of the rear of the board so it would be too close. Have been thinking of a Bennerfor too long now. Need to sort itout but I need another trip to the Harz to get the right shots of Silberhutte and Magdesprung to be able to hang on the fences. Oh plus stiching the resultant shots together in Photo Shop to make said banner. RoundToIt time again!

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
When I created the Arrowhead Township on my layout, it was slap bang next to a fence and I wanted rid of it in the background.
So I got out some photos, played about with Photoshop and had the result blown up and printed on vinyl at 8 ft by 6 ft.
I've been considering using 'banners' printed on vinyl recently. Thanks for showing me that it is useful. Are yours left outside all the time? I've been trying to make a mockup of my ideas using HO trains, and am still having trouble getting the size of the trees on the banner to look correct. Here's a quick video

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
...... need another trip to the Harz to get the right shots of Silberhutte and Magdesprung to be able to hang on the fences.

???? Bennerfor Silberhutte Magdesprung ???

Tried Google Translate and it suggested the words were Filipino - and gave the translation as "Bennerfor Silberhutte Magdesprung" Not that helpful. So I tried German and they translated as ........ Bennerforf Silberhütte Magdesprung ......

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
???? Bennerfor Silberhutte Magdesprung ???

Tried Google Translate and it suggested the words were Filipino - and gave the translation as "Bennerfor Silberhutte Magdesprung" Not that helpful. So I tried German and they translated as ........ Bennerforf Silberhütte Magdesprung ......

Rik
I often spell them wrong and forget the German Accents which both have, they are somewhere on my iPad keyboard but I never really know how to get them! Oh found them just linger finger on the Letter and select!

Silberhütte
Mägdesprung

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Are they place names? When I put them into Google translate they re-emerge exactly the same?

Rik

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Rik - see bottom righthand side.
hsbmap.jpg

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
Bennerdorf might be a family name or a place name (dorf = village)
Silberhütte is a silvermill/processing plant for silver ore.
Magdesprung?? - i know of Magdeburg, a town or city.
Magde might be a river or creek. then Magde-sprung(sprung=jump) might be a waterfall of the river Magde. - which in turn again might be the name of a village or a town.

edit:
german wiki says:
Bennerdorf/Benndorf is a village in the Harz region.
the Silberhütte or Hüttenwerk is a silvermill/processing plant in Mägdesprung.
Mägdesprung is a small town at the spring of river Mägde(n) in the Harz region.

i say: Mägde is is old german plural for "girl", later for female serfs on farms.

Last edited:

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Very effective Rik. In fact if i had not known to look for the camo I think I would have simply seen the background as foliage.

No wonder the snipers like to wrap it around their melons.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Bennerdorf might be a family name or a place name (dorf = village)
Silberhütte is a silvermill/processing plant for silver ore.
Magdesprung?? - i know of Magdeburg, a town or city.
Magde might be a river or creek. then Magde-sprung(sprung=jump) might be a waterfall of the river Magde. - which in turn again might be the name of a village or a town.

edit:
german wiki says:
Bennerdorf/Benndorf is a village in the Harz region.
the Silberhütte or Hüttenwerk is a silvermill/processing plant in Mägdesprung.
Mägdesprung is a small town at the spring of river Mägde(n) in the Harz region.

i say: Mägde is is old german plural for "girl", later for female serfs on farms.

Many thanks for the translations of names Korm, German can be a bit tricky for some of us Brits even with Google Translate the meanings are not always apparent.

Silberhütte did indeed have some Silver Mines accesible via a 750mm Line. This closed around 1912. There was even a Funicular to connect this line to the works at the Silberhütte end of the line. On the map in the 2 part book of the Harz lines by Dirk Endish there is a map of Silberhütte area which was littered With Mines in that era. Even in the 80's it was an inportant area for Industry having a Coal Fired Power Plant supplied by the Selktalbahn. The Selke being the river that the line follows up the Valley and can be often seen delightfully flowing from the Train. Though Selke has been a problem in times of flood and I have seen pictures of Alexisbad with plenty of rubbsh and ballast loss after flooding.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been considering using 'banners' printed on vinyl recently. Thanks for showing me that it is useful. Are yours left outside all the time? I've been trying to make a mockup of my ideas using HO trains, and am still having trouble getting the size of the trees on the banner to look correct. Here's a quick video

Hi Greg
Yes it is left out all year and has been out for about 6 years now.

Your OO scale backdrop looks good. It is always a problem getting the correct sizing for background trees and fields etc. But with a bit of experimentation it soon 'pops' right.
My background behind the Arrowhead mine used to be there when it was a lumber town.
The lake could be seen then, but now the 'drift' mine is much taller and obscures it.
2 arrowhead wide 1.jpg

6 arrowhead motel from behind.jpg