Detailed signs

thebranchline

Registered
16 Jul 2011
Heanor ,Derbyshire
Best answers
Hello All,

First of all apologies for not posting anywhere else first, I couldn't see a 'welcome' type thread/board, if so Mods could you please move this post to a more appropiate place please.

I am just starting a small buisness/hobby making gscale accessories/signs. Whilst I dont own personally any engines or layouts, my father is an avid enthusiast owning numerous live steam gscale loco's.

My website will be at www.thebranchline.co.uk but for now I will be listing my products on the dreaded Ebay.

The first one I have made is a standard 'beware of trains' sign. In my personal opinion it looks a lot more realistic than anything I personally have seen before either for sale or on someone else's layout. It is made out of uv protected ABS plastic.

The ebay link is below,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beware-Trains...=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item19c7275c4a < Link To http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bew...mp;hash=item19c7275c4a

Thank you for reading my introduction,

John

dudley

All model railways
21 Mar 2010
lowestoft
Best answers
nice one, have bought one so will see but looking good, good luck further to this post i have received my sign and it looks great thanks.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, welcome to the asylum :rofl:
I have seen your signs, and very nice they look too, even my wife approves so your onto a good one there! :D
Will you give information here as to the painting technique involved?

thebranchline

Registered
16 Jul 2011
Heanor ,Derbyshire
Best answers
Thank you for your support, I will post instructions on here but also I am sending out information with everyone bought,

I really hope buyers are happy with what I have produced, I think they are excellent but then I might be biased of course :)

I will be making loads more stuff over the coming weeks when time allows, I have a full time engineering job so it is the usual weekends/evenings hobby at the moment.

Many thanks,

John

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
John looks great and i wish you all the best
I know how much ebay costs so can i make a couple of small cost saving surgestions, they dont appear much but in the long term it will help,
1/ Only post 1 photo........... that will be free, put any other photos in the advert with your wording, using a photo hosting site and using the "insert" tab at the top of the ebay advert making page
2/ And i know this doesnt make a lot of sence but lower the price and then charge that reduction as postage....... 2 reasons, 1 you are getting charged by evilbay on the final selling price so you are paying extra because your postage is included and also people accept that postage is normally extra and when deciding weather to buy something look at the buying price and only a secondry look at the post cost, So as long as it seems reasonable people will pay it. Dont be greedy but if you sell for £2.49 and charge 50p post you will save about 15p ad that to the 10p saving on the photo thing and that is alot over a year
hope this helps
Tony

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Looking for a sign? Can't get any further than a "Smiths Heater Handle" ?:mad:

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the posting John, they look very nice, so much so that I've just bought three! I look forward to seeing more products in the future.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
2/ And i know this doesnt make a lot of sence but lower the price and then charge that reduction as postage....... 2 reasons, 1 you are getting charged by evilbay on the final selling price so you are paying extra because your postage is included and also people accept that postage is normally extra and when deciding weather to buy something look at the buying price and only a secondry look at the post cost, So as long as it seems reasonable people will pay it. Dont be greedy but if you sell for £2.49 and charge 50p post you will save about 15p
hope this helps
Tony

Hi Tony, hasn't evilbay begun to charge 10% on postage as well? It may only be in USA at present but it will soon be here if it isn't already

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Tony said:
2/ And i know this doesnt make a lot of sence but lower the price and then charge that reduction as postage....... 2 reasons, 1 you are getting charged by evilbay on the final selling price so you are paying extra because your postage is included and also people accept that postage is normally extra and when deciding weather to buy something look at the buying price and only a secondry look at the post cost, So as long as it seems reasonable people will pay it. Dont be greedy but if you sell for £2.49 and charge 50p post you will save about 15p ad that to the 10p saving on the photo thing and that is alot over a year
hope this helps
Tony
Sort of a grey area legally. Its not considered allowable to make a profit on postage and packing and is actually illegal. Mind you you have to be caught.......
I note with some interest that in Australia our Tax Office has publically announced a crackdown on Ebay selling where some choose to Ebay as an occupation and not declare the income on their tax returns. Paypal and Banks are now required by law to provide details the the ATO of all transactions. We are desperate to make money so our Gov't has to chase every last cent in Tax revenue.

thebranchline

Registered
16 Jul 2011
Heanor ,Derbyshire
Best answers
Hi All,

I now have a few more products, one I am particularly proud of is the little wall mounted post box,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110736146867?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 < Link To http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm...ksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

All of my products are on ebay currently,

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/littlestickyfingers/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 < Link To http://myworld.ebay.co.uk...s/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

So far I have had excellent feedback from all my items sold, and I am looking to do a few more items in the near future,
If anyone has something they want me to make, either post here or pm me. If I can make it and decide its worthwhile then I post you a free one, obviously I cant make everything :)

Thanks for reading

John

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi John
Some nice detailed stuff there, and only just down the road from me as well....:D:D

thebranchline

Registered
16 Jul 2011
Heanor ,Derbyshire
Best answers
Nemo said:
Hi John
Some nice detailed stuff there, and only just down the road from me as well....:D:D
Hi Steve,

Thankyou :) are there any garden meetings/clubs around Heanor/Ilkeston. It would be nice to meet a few people. I would also like at some point to take some 'in setting photo's etc. As I dont have my own railway that is a little difficult.

Pm me if you like with details,

Cheers

John

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
PM sent.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
There is quite an active group for the g scale society east midlands area, during the winter we meet at Walesby once a month, if you are intrested i will advise you of meeting dates that you might be able to pop along to.

PM me if you wish

Steve

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Yes excellent stuff, got two from you earlier, haven't done anything with them yet but there's a long winter ahead to fill in, will certainly be ordering more items.

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Building a website is easy and many hosting packages have a shop function as well.
At the moment your paying ebay for your advertising.

Nice signs by the way.

E

Elmtree Line

thebranchline said:
Nemo said:
Hi John
Hi Steve,

Thankyou :) are there any garden meetings/clubs around Heanor/Ilkeston. It would be nice to meet a few people. I would also like at some point to take some 'in setting photo's etc. As I dont have my own railway that is a little difficult.

Pm me if you like with details,

Cheers

John

John.

I'm in Derby if you fancy visiting sometime, currently running G Scale and 16mm on two seperate lines :D