Defective decoder?

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience of defects with a Trainline Mallet or Decoder defects? The sound and light functions seem OK but if I try to move the loco forward it races off uncontrollably. If I select reverse as soon as I apply any throttle there is a short and my ECOS stops.
443723BD-98AB-4866-AB32-5C6C9C6B40D1.jpegAlthough I have loads of digital locos in G and O gauges I have never had a loco go wrong until now.
Could it be anything other than the decoder? I bought the loco from Modell Land and would rather send back a decoder than the whole engine which I have done some work on.
Any advice gratefully received.
Simon

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar experience with one of my locos. The loco wouldn't go in reverse but immediately shot off when forward was selected. This decoder was returned to Massoth for repair.
Les.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Blown output transistors on the decoder..

Send it back, and see what they say?

PhilP.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar experience with one of my locos. The loco wouldn't go in reverse but immediately shot off when forward was selected. This decoder was returned to Massoth for repair.
Les.
Les

Thanks. That is what I am hoping. Have you got the decoder back from Massoth? Hopefully cured now.
Best wishes
Simon

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Worth checking which decoder do you have in it? These come with a choice of Massoth or Zimo.... my 5901 has Massoth, 5902 (green) Zimo.

Sorry to hear of the problems, but very nice weathering jobs on the locos!

Jon.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Worth checking which decoder do you have in it? These come with a choice of Massoth or Zimo.... my 5901 has Massoth, 5902 (green) Zimo.

Sorry to hear of the problems, but very nice weathering jobs on the locos!

Jon.
Jon

Mine has a Zimo MX696. I have a few 0 gauge locos with Zimo decoders I have installed and I am really pleased them.

Thanks for comments on weathering.

Regards

Simon

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Blown output transistors on the decoder..

Send it back, and see what they say?

PhilP.
Phil

Thanks. It sounds like a decoder fault which is what I hope. I have contacted Modell Land and described the Problem. I am hoping they will identify it as that as well so I only have to post back the decoder, not the whole loco.

Regards

Simon

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Les

Thanks. That is what I am hoping. Have you got the decoder back from Massoth? Hopefully cured now.
Best wishes
Simon
Yes, it came back after a few weeks. The repair was free but the postage was a bit under £20.00
It now works as it should!

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it came back after a few weeks. The repair was free but the postage was a bit under £20.00
It now works as it should!
Les

Thanks. Glad it is sorted. I contacted Modell Land who told me to get in touch with Trainline45, which I did. They replied instantly and also think it is a decoder fault. They have told me to send the decoder back to them.
As the loco is barely 2 months old, I am hoping I will nor incur any costs, but thanks for the warning.

Best wishes

Simon

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A little late, but I have found that sometimes it is a shorted diode on the input bridge which causes this issue. I fixed mine for less than a dollar for a new diode.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
A little late, but I have found that sometimes it is a shorted diode on the input bridge which causes this issue. I fixed mine for less than a dollar for a new diode.
Dan

Thanks. That sounds a bit beyond my electronics knowledge. Trainline asked me to send them the decoder and its mounting board which I have done. Hopefully they will tell me what the problem was as well as repairing it.
if I learn anything I will share it with the Forum.
Thanks again.

Simon