DCC POINT MOTOR for Hardyard

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Thank you, Peter :clap:

I get Train Line products from FGB in Berlin. I currently I have an order pending, so I will PM you. The point motor included in my current order is for Mike for testing :D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
bunnyrabbit03 said:
I get Train Line products from FGB in Berlin. I currently I have an order pending, so I will PM you. The point motor included in my current order is for Mike for testing :D
PM sent. Sadly, still more of my retirement fund flows to a German retailer rather than a UK one! :impatient:

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Given that the first sample motor was faulty and the second required an hours fettling to work correctly, and bearing in mind the LGB will give many years service OUTSIDE, and not just indoors,.
This is the second LGB motor that I've had to repair, Gizzy did one for me, now I've just repaired a second due to the contacts rusting. So even LGB motors have there faults

Rant over

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I've not found WD40 necessary. I just use them quite a bit!
The only problem I ever had was when insects (ants I think) filled the black box with a fine dust - it was absolutely packed solid. A quick loosen with a small screwdriver and a blow to remove the dust and all was well again.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
bigjack said:
Cheeky Monkey said:
LGB will give many years service OUTSIDE, and not just indoors,.
This is the second LGB motor that I've had to repair, Gizzy did one for me, now I've just repaired a second due to the contacts rusting. So even LGB motors have there faults
Most of my LGB point motors are now over 10 years old and continue to perform pretty much faultlessly, despite a policy of benign neglect and annual submersion in snow or floodwater. Unhappily, the only two that have given problems were both recent purchases from the period 2007-2009. One failed completely and the other required all four external screws replacing after they rusted within a month. Hopefully Marklin's more recent production is back to the high standards of pre-2006 LGB.

Anyone got any experience of other motors and care to write a review? I plan to do so for the Train Line 45 DCC motor mentioned in an earlier posting when I get my paws on it.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
bigjack said:
Cheeky Monkey said:
LGB will give many years service OUTSIDE, and not just indoors,.
Most of my LGB point motors are now over 10 years old and continue to perform pretty much faultlessly, despite a policy of benign neglect and annual submersion in snow or floodwater. Unhappily, the only two that have given problems were both recent purchases from the period 2007-2009. One failed completely and the other required all four external screws replacing after they rusted within a month. Hopefully Marklin's more recent production is back to the high standards of pre-2006 LGB.

Anyone got any experience of other motors and care to write a review? I plan to do so for the Train Line 45 DCC motor mentioned in an earlier posting when I get my paws on it.
I agree with Peter that it's most certainly the motors made during 07-09 that seem to fail, no doubt due to the use of cheaper materials during that time.

The screw terminal block particular seems to be of an inferior quality compared to the pre 06 made version.

However, I've repaired these by simply removing the terminal block, and soldering a flying lead to the coil wires. I fill the void where the terminal was with black aircraft grade silicon. I also fill the redundant holes in the top plate.

As Bigjack mentioned, I've repaired one of his, and I've done 2 others, both of which were 'donated' to me by other users for spares or repair.

As I tend to use my points paired together as crossovers, it's a simple matter of connecting the flying lead to another nearby LGB point motor's terminal block, so that both points operate together as a pair.

I'm more than happy to repair/modify these motors for any GSC member for the cost of postage. Just send me a PM for details....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
very helpfull gary