DCC Decoder for Thomas/Percy/James

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
I (er, I mean my kids, honest guv) have a Bachmann Thomas already, and he's going to be joined by Percy and James who've just been bought from Steve at Back 2 Bay 6.

I want to put a digital decoder in Thomas first, then I'll chip the two new engines at some point in the future. I'm not fussed about sound or lights or other bells and whistles, just want to be able to run them at the same time on my MTS II layout.

Can anyone recommend a suitable decoder that I could use in them? The cheaper the better, I don't fancy spending as much on the decoders as I did on the engines! :)

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Hello,
I chipped my Bachmann Percy using a standard TCS T1P-UK decoder which whilst only having a 1.3 amp rating witha 2 amp max has been a success.
I slightly re-wired Percy using a piece of verroboard as an interface between the decoder and wiring loom to give a neat installation.

Currently using LGB MTS with a 5 amp supply and no problems so far. Thinking about a smoke generator at some point although I may hard wire a 24v Massoth directly to track power giving good smoke production and avoiding any extra load on the decoder.

If you are interested i can take the loco to pieces and take a photo if that is of help.

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Hello there,
If it's not too much trouble, photo(s) of what you did would be very useful indeed, and I'd be very grateful.

Just one question - any particular reason you went for the T1P-UK decoder over one of the other varieties of T1P decoder, perhaps the wires only one?

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Just a quick reply for now as I'm heading out in a few minutes.
I'll see about sorting a photo later this evening or sometime tomorrow for you.

I chose the TCS decoder as I had a few different types 'in stock' and at around that time some of the guys on here were experimenting with them on LGB locos.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers

mikesilky

Registered
23 Mar 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
steve parberry said:
Heres one i did earlier......:clap::clap:

http://www.gscalecentral.net/m130702

Dont forget to search the history section, just set the search critiria to from the begining:D:D

Oh, that's fantastic. I'll have a read now.

Believe it or not, I did do a search. For Thomas, not Percy. And clearly didn't set the search criteria to the beginning :rolleyes: