Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
robsmorgan said:
casey jones snr said:
Other than the splendid blue, what other colours were the Darjeeling coaches painted in?:eek:nphone:

Probably not too helpful, but I did record the BBC4 series of progs on the Indian Railways recently - If you don't get any joy, I could 'grab' some stills and post them for you.
e.g.
images

Regards
Rob

Re post No 2. I know that this was an example of a screen shot. But it should be recorded that this is of the Ooty line.
JonD

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
I have opened my mouth here and got facts wrong so I will add these few observations as a layman and will happily stand corrected on any points of detail.
I have a pic in the book "The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway" By Richard Wallace which has a colour photo taken in 1989 and has the following caption:- "For a while in 1989 the North east Frontier Zone addopted a green and cream livery for the DHR's coaches" but of corse there were pulled by a blue loco. (I will happily PM the pic across but Lisa has warned us not to post copyright images on the site, and I do not wish to cause anyone any problems.)
I would think the green loco with the original DHR green livery (before indian railways took over) would mainly have pulled umber coloured rolling stock.
I have included a couple of pics I took in the Howrah railway museum (Calcutta) earlier this month.
Not the best shots. light was difficult sorry.
165104a5c74d46a793cff8b55e43c787.jpg
9a73ebf4341940c0b0bf85afd94bf678.jpg

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
I guess the advantage of having a Loco in green if sticking to prototypical operations would be the freight rolling stock choice would be much greater. Of course the most important thing is It's your railways so do what pleases you.
As far as colour is concerned I love the blue! I am currently aspiring to aquire a roundhouse B Class and want to mod it to the " 782 Mountaineer" spec. Although I wouldnt have the heart to weather it to the extream that the real loco now enjoys!
09bf8d4d1c0e432eabc9d2e6c22d3dee.jpg
(Taken earlier this month in Darjeeling).

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
As far as colour is concerned I love the blue! I am currently aspiring to aquire a roundhouse B Class and want to mod it to the " 782 Mountaineer" spec. Although I wouldnt have the heart to weather it to the extream that the real loco now enjoys!

Thanks for this post Garry, I was beginning to think I had totally missed the point by posting the video captures from BBC FOUR :thinking:

Regards
Rob

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
It seems strange that no one has brought out an electric model of these locomotives.

I agree. Whereas I aspire to a live steam loco, I'd be happier dealing with a sparky one for the moment!

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff.:D I like the blue locomotive and coaches. One of the members of the CFR is considering a set.:clap:
I saw the green locomotive at the Roundhouse open day. I rather fancy one and whilst we run anything with anything, it is rather nice to run the correct stock now and then, especially if visiting another railway.:)