Cute little Railcar

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Use a 3-6V motor, and the volume of a matchbox, and I will give you a RC, battery, and sound solution.. :)

PhilP.
I hope to start printing tomorrow, give me a couple of weeks and I will get back to you!
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using the Apple Tree railways gearboxes for my trams.. Although most of his products are for Gauge 3 - 63.5mm, the smallest units do fit G45 very nicely.

Nice and easy to hide and quite powerful for the size. I am running the 9V version from 7.4V Li-Ion packs and my trams trundle along at a good pace. It will need outside frames at G45, but I think this could be accommodated with this model!

View attachment 278045
Thanks for the recommendation. I'd spoken to Tim about one of his G45 gearboxes for another project. Given this is an outside frame, it may well be a decent contender.

He's out of stock but I think he has a test unit I could acquire..

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I've been using the Apple Tree railways gearboxes for my trams.. Although most of his products are for Gauge 3 - 63.5mm, the smallest units do fit G45 very nicely.

Nice and easy to hide and quite powerful for the size. I am running the 9V version from 7.4V Li-Ion packs and my trams trundle along at a good pace. It will need outside frames at G45, but I think this could be accommodated with this model!

View attachment 278045

Virtually prototypical as well.

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so after nearly 7 hours, this is where I start! .............ok, it’s a Ford but it’s not black! ......rule 8
have to say, I used supports, which came out easily and clean.
Dave6F55B992-C812-47C6-ADCB-815B04749C4B.jpeg

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so after nearly 7 hours, this is where I start! .............ok, it’s a Ford but it’s not black! ......rule 8
have to say, I used supports, which came out easily and clean.
DaveView attachment 278076
Looking good Dave! :)

I've had to reprint the body and tank as I ran out of filament about 75% of the way through! :D

What has printed though looks okay. I too am using supports.
20201230_185248.jpg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good Dave! :)

I've had to reprint the body and tank as I ran out of filament about 75% of the way through! :D

What has printed though looks okay. I too am using supports.
View attachment 278078

Those frames look like they would fit a big Co-Co diesel?!? Totally inappropriate for a railcar - all the ones I ever saw just had rail wheels bolted on the axles. Or maybe a tiny truck in front.

20201008_142700_sideview.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Those frames look like they would fit a big Co-Co diesel?!? Totally inappropriate for a railcar - all the ones I ever saw just had rail wheels bolted on the axles. Or maybe a tiny truck in front.

View attachment 278290
I think a bit of rule 8 applies, plus of course, there's a prototype for everything

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I think a bit of rule 8 applies, plus of course, there's a prototype for everything
I'd like to see the prototype of a 3-axle truck used under a railcar. :rofl:

• Haha

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
  • Haha

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A small amount of progress on my version of the build. I think it's the most fiddly things I've printed, made worse because i left supports turned on, which is making their removal from small, delicate parts quite challenging :)

Equally challenging is figuring out where to put everything. I've remixed the wheels to incorporate hubs for the gearbox and axles for the chassis members on the front wheels. I know PLA doesnt wear well and is less than ideal for this kind of application but its a test mule at the moment.

The remaining wheels mount on steel axles running in some tiny bearings I had spare

20210102_125329.jpg

The battery pack is a little 4.7v unit sitting underneath the seat/floor and slung between the axles.
I'm redesigning the cross members to have the front support the motor/gearbox unit and the rear hold the battery.

20210102_125139.jpg

Here's a mockup of it, without the screen, roof or rear bed
20210102_125232.jpg

I'd like to incorporate sound and remote control if possible. The speaker is no problem - a sugar cube in the engine space at the front.

I had been considering a mylocoremote mini 3b as it has a pretty optimal form factor and would suit smartphone control. Ive printed out boxes to represent the sound and non-sound versions and work out fitment. Annoyingly, I need to loose 1mm from the width of the body but if so, i think the sound version could sit above the rear axle and intrude above the bed floor by 5mm or so.

20210102_125106.jpg

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmmmm! Looks like I’ve made a boob! Am half way through printing the motor section that goes between the frames! , was wondering how you got the motor in there! ............real men don’t read instructions!!! .....oh well, it will probably make a good wagon load, so no waste just time and filament.
had to re level the bed yesterday as nothing would stick, strange, it’s been printing fine for weeks then all of a sudden started playing up.............you live and learn !
Dave

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This really shows the value of 3D printing. The ability to create a model so quickly, to re-jig parts and recreate at pace and to produce a really interesting finished design!

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmmmm! Looks like I’ve made a boob! Am half way through printing the motor section that goes between the frames! , was wondering how you got the motor in there! ............real men don’t read instructions!!! .....oh well, it will probably make a good wagon load, so no waste just time and filament.
had to re level the bed yesterday as nothing would stick, strange, it’s been printing fine for weeks then all of a sudden started playing up.............you live and learn !
Dave
Oh no!

I've had to read and re-read the build instructions several times and am having to make most of it up as I go along.

As you say though, the motor section will make for an interesting load. The remixed files do also use the central section to contain a small, geared motor at the end by the look of it. How its powered isn't clear though, so i went my own way :)

There are a few subtle differences in the remixed version - the roof for instance is now included as a quite pretty printed object. Before that it had to be made and even in the photos for the remix, it seems to show a piece of foam being used for the roof!

Last edited:

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Oy family forum and all that!!!!!
Ok, ok! “ I have made a small error!”..............but you would be surprised what you can make on a 3D printer!!
Dave

• Haha

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, ok! “ I have made a small error!”..............but you would be surprised what you can make on a 3D printer!!
Dave
Does your SW know what you are getting up to? :eek::p

:D:D:D

• Haha

Homo Habilis

Registered
16 Apr 2016
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Does this count as a prototype of a 3-axle truck used under a railcar?

Pushme-Pullyou.jpg

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
I am becoming increasingly despondent with the running gear of this project and, after some research , must agree with Greg, that the chassis is nothing like the type it should be. After mistakenly printing the motors, it is obvious that the design is from an electric powered loco and the sides are far to hefty. I am hoping that, even with my limited experience of CAD programs, I can print something more prototypical, with spoked wheels.
i have an electric motor on order and when it arrives will try to design a better set of running gear for the body...............I may be some time!!
Dave