Crushing Coal?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The French language had a major influence on the English language and, in part, is still in use in Parliament. The Royal Coat of Arms carries a French motto (Dieu Et Mon Droit).
And the French have changed their flag, they have moved back to the old pre-Bastille days flag

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Ah date, which the Americans write backwards
It depends on which group of Americans is being spoken of, for instance Dad was in the USN and their internal practice was the format of, 24 November, 2021.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I agree putting the month, then day, then year is ridiculous and prone to error.

all my dates are 2021_11_24 for example... added bonus is if you use this type of prefix on a file, they are automatically sorted in date order by Windoze... (remember 2 digits for month and day, 2020_09_11)

virtually no one would misinterpret this date... otherwise I do it like SW Forests' dad... again, no chance of confusion.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It depends on which group of Americans is being spoken of, for instance Dad was in the USN and their internal practice was the format of, 24 November, 2021.
That's cos Navy-Guys do things properly!

Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I agree putting the month, then day, then year is ridiculous and prone to error.

all my dates are 2021_11_24 for example... added bonus is if you use this type of prefix on a file, they are automatically sorted in date order by Windoze... (remember 2 digits for month and day, 2020_09_11)

virtually no one would misinterpret this date... otherwise I do it like SW Forests' dad... again, no chance of confusion.

Greg
2020_09_11 = 9th of November?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nope!
UTC and you can't go wrong..

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS

Presently, we are "Zulu-Time" (no offset) here in the UK.
More commonly known as GMT.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
People are getting fired up about this! - Just kinda getting back on track;)

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It also depends on the language you speak. I speak English but, a simple term like 'Bank Holiday Monday' translate to 'Luan Saoire an Banc' in Irish = Monday Holiday of Bank. C'est la Vie!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It also depends on the language you speak. I speak English but, a simple term like 'Bank Holiday Monday' translate to 'Luan Saoire an Banc' in Irish = Monday Holiday of Bank. C'est la Vie!
But don't a lot of languages appear to be spoken in the wrong order when translated into English?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nope!
UTC and you can't go wrong..

YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS

Presently, we are "Zulu-Time" (no offset) here in the UK.
More commonly known as GMT.
My work file are stored with that prefix but with out the hyphen YYYYMMDD "20211125-File name", and if like me you have soft records going back 25+ years, and have been copied across systems so the file has lost its original date stamp, great for sorting and finding your records.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
We are still crushing coal?

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
But don't a lot of languages appear to be spoken in the wrong order when translated into English?
English is an SVO language (Subject, Verb, Object, e.g. Mark is closing the door) while others are SOV (Mark the door is closing); the two types make up 75% of all languages. Irish (and Welsh) are VSO (closing the door is Mark). They all have their own logic, and sound 'right' to those who speak them!

Or should all the examples be 'Mark is crushing the coal', just to avoid thread drift? :D