Crushing Coal?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
I like Greg's idea of using a vice or maybe something of a similar nature. It's kind of like a controlled explosion.....:wasntme:

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Country flag
I would have put it in a burlap or canvas bag... the key again is that the vise jaws will not "follow through" once they crack the lump like a walnut.

Using a hammer, you cannot stop the "follow through", which normally causes more crushing and finer shards than is desired.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it, ha ha!

Greg

David Palmeter

Registered
7 Dec 2017
Noblesville IN
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried several but this Virginia USA coal was only about another week from being compressed into diamonds when it was mined. As mentioned earlier, hitting it hard enough to break it made a mess.

So I wandered though our local chain giant 'Hobby Lobby" (mostly crafts for the ladies) and found the suggested canvas pouch for less than a quid. (Note the coal bucket in the background; I did more damage to bucket than I did to the 1000 carat coal lumps.)
IMG_2134px1024.jpg

Starting with a full lump, I went through several squeeze cycles:
IMG_2507px1024.jpg

I then sorted the chunks though a 4" diameter 'training' sieve (from Amazon, about 5 quid, they called it a 'training sieve' because of the large number of complaints bout the 'uselessly small size'). I had to put an finely crafted extension on the sides to keep the coal in the sieve during vigorous shaking:
IMG_2519px1024.jpg

The result was three grades -
Fines - engine house ballast
Medium - a little small but useable
Larger - a bit larger than ideal but still useable:
IMG_2509px1024.jpg

By the time I crushed the coal shown above plus one more round, the bag became divinely holy. Since all my tenders have a platform for the coal, I have a decent supply for the time being. Maybe I will lay on a few more canvas bags while they are available, a buck twenty-nine plus 7% tax fits the coal crushing budget - and I end up with genuine 1:24 scale Chesapeake and Ohio coal!

Thanks again.....

Attachments

• IMG_2134px1024.jpg
    IMG_2134px1024.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2507px1024.jpg
    IMG_2507px1024.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0