Critters damaging G scale layout and buildings?

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Stands about 5ft 6" like that, but taller if stretches
20210211_112008.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
Grey patch on face is something on window!

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

melph1

Registered
30 Jan 2021
UK
Best answers
He's big and cumbersome......not going anywhere near the buildings on the layout. It will be interesting (or perhaps not) to see how he reacts to the trains once they leave "the safe zone".

Gerard

Registered
26 Mar 2021
Aerdenhout Holland
Best answers
Country flag
I have chewing squirrels in my garden and they chew on the plastic hoses with the small holes in it of the water dripping system. It looks like they are in search for water. So put some low water bins in the garden and that problem is solved.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
no squirrel issues either.
i have 2 English Mastiffs (3 up until June of this year....yes that's one too many, 600lbs of dogs, that live indoors!) , but, unless its their scent, the squirrels just don't bother my things. Foxes and coyotes seem to stay clear too. Once long ago, a fox was surprised by my dog Bentley, and he climbed a 6 ft smooth fence straight up and over....

mastiff puppies otoh...my toys are their toys,(so they think). Mastiffs are very mindful of where they step, never had a mis step or damage or anything moved...my Corgi girl, clueless.

mastiffs, as pups, have shown interest in trains for the first day, it goes away on the loop then comes back, "oh elation! "then goes away ("the thrill" ........then they realize "thats all they do?! adult mastiffs, like my son, dont quite get watching roundy round....."dad youre an simpleton"....)

simply, if you think you might have an issue, take the buildings in. i too tend to think it softer plastics they like not hard styrenes.
well its like photos of kids, innit?002.JPG

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Dogs will help remove wildlife :giggle: :rofl: :rofl:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
No squirrels where I live but I do have possums eating the new plants and knocking over buildings etc.
Can't shoot them and if I trap them I have to by law release them no more that 50 metres from where they are trapped.
Hmm the swimming pool is only 5 metres from the house and 4 metres deep so if I threw a trapped possum into the pool trap and all then emptied the trap 10 minutes later does that constitute a trap and release?
But on a serious note evidently they do no like the smell of blood and bone and the fish based fertiliser so I am trying that.
For the one that wears army boots and runs around the ceiling mothball and camphor blocks are being added to the arsenal.
The neighbour has a"gel blaster" gun that discourages them when he opens up in full auto mode.
Or I can just just trap them and send them to NZ evidently they use them for clothes and boots (neighbour is a Kiwi)

Graham Hewett

Registered
4 Oct 2020
Milford
Best answers
Country flag
Round here, in darkest Surrey, we find that foxes are no respecters of catenary (pause for jokes about keeping it live at 25 kv 24/7), and rats chew power cables. There doesn't appear to be an answer to these.