CRE-55470 problem

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
Evening all I have a problem with my train engineer when I connect it all up it will only work if I stand next to the RECIVER if I move more than a foot away it will not work
any help would be gratefully recived
Les

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe a silly question, but are the batteries in the transmitter OK? Sounds like you only have a very, very low signal strength!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I'd put some fresh batteries in the handset as Zerogee says....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar problem, I'd put one of the four batteries in the wrong way round, cancelling out another so the nominal voltage was only 3 instead of 6! Very little range!
If you've not already done so it's worth fully extending the base station aerial and setting it up as vertical as practical. Also check the screw connection between hand held unit and its aerial for tightness and lack of corrosion, also fully extend this if its the telescopic type.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well, of course batteries was the first thing I said to Les when he phoned me. He assured me they're brand new batteries. He says it works when transmitter and receiver arials are touching or if he holds in each hand, but can't get any real range out of it.

This is his second TE (recent ebay purchase), so I've suggested he tries linking the new transmitter with the old receiver and v.v.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
.. I'd put one of the four batteries in the wrong way round, cancelling out another so the nominal voltage was only 3 instead of 6! Very little range!
Now that wouldn't surprise me!

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
Sorry late answering. work plus new carpet computer unpluged , right I have put new batteries in I then tuned the handset in to my other receiver still not working,I then tuned
my other handset to both recievers that worked fine still baffled

LES

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
doverles said:
Sorry late answering. work plus new carpet computer unpluged , right I have put new batteries in I then tuned the handset in to my other receiver still not working,I then tuned
my other handset to both recievers that worked fine still baffled

LES
Definitely the handset is at fault then, and the receiver is working fine.

Could be a loose antenna screw perhaps? Do you have the telescopic aerial or the 'rubber duck' one?

I would try to swap the aerial around and see if this improves the range first. If this doesn't help then plan B....

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
Hi Gizzy I have the telescopic aerial, I will swop them over and test .will post results
thanks Les

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
doverles said:
Hi Gizzy I have the telescopic aerial, I will swop them over and test .will post results
thanks Les
Okay Les,

I'll be out later so if plan A doesn't work, my plan B is to swap the batteries between your handsets.
I realise that you told Nick that you had fitted fresh ones, but there might be a chance that one of the 'new' batteries is a dud.
When you swap them over, check that the contact springs are shiny, and that there is no signs of corrosion from any old batteries. If there is then clean up the contacts.

Sorry if this appears to be teaching you to suck eggs, but this is exactly what I'd be doing if I had sight of the unit, and I need to eliminate the simple things first....

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
thanks for that Gizzy, what I have done is put new batteries in, cleaned contacts
swoped aerials but still no joy,it only works if I wrap the aerial wire from the receiver
around the aerial on the hand set, it seems to me that there is no range on it at all
from the handset if that makes sence to you
Les

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
doverles said:
thanks for that Gizzy, what I have done is put new batteries in, cleaned contacts
swoped aerials but still no joy,it only works if I wrap the aerial wire from the receiver
around the aerial on the hand set, it seems to me that there is no range on it at all
from the handset if that makes sence to you
Les
PM sent....

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought. Has the TE decided to change its frequency. They have been known to do that. Worth a check.

doverles

Les
25 Oct 2009
kent
Best answers
Thanks Mike tried that no joy

Les

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi les
You have tried swapping the handsets to estabblish that the receiver is fine and you have also tries all the obvious stuff; new batts, aerial, frequency etc. This only leaves the fact that the handset is on the blink as Gizzy said.
If you have a strong magnifier or some strong reading glasses, have a close look at the pcb board in the transmitter. Corrossion can lurk and cause resistance in circuits. This could lead to lower power being received by the transmiiter stage and it not being able to get a good range.
A 'dry' joint would lead to intemittant fault but yours seems to be a constant one.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Hi les
You have tried swapping the handsets to estabblish that the receiver is fine and you have also tries all the obvious stuff; new batts, aerial, frequency etc. This only leaves the fact that the handset is on the blink as Gizzy said.
If you have a strong magnifier or some strong reading glasses, have a close look at the pcb board in the transmitter. Corrossion can lurk and cause resistance in circuits. This could lead to lower power being received by the transmiiter stage and it not being able to get a good range.
A 'dry' joint would lead to intemittant fault but yours seems to be a constant one.
Mike,
Les has posted it to me.
I'll have a look at it at in my workshop next week....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
Mike,
Les has posted it to me.
I'll have a look at it at in my workshop next week....

'Tis in good hands then