trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Came across these two Manchester pics last night as I was looking for something else!

Metrolink Recovery (1).jpg
Metrolink Recovery (2).jpg

A bit more modern!

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Again someone from the group has come to my aide and I hope to have a suitable one item to do two jobs crane wagon in the not too distant future.

But don't stop sharing photos of tramway cranes, its interesting to see the different types.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Stanningley County Primary :D
Other side of Leeds from where I was fetched up?

Halton Moor Infants and Juniors (now sadly knocked down for housing), followed by 2 years at Crossgates Middle, then 3 years at Temple Moor High School (TMS or Teddy Boys Mental School).

My late Father lived in Pudsey and then Bramley, (next to Stanningley By Pass) for a while....

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Halton Moor Infants and Juniors (now sadly knocked down for housing), followed by 2 years at Crossgates Middle, then 3 years at Temple Moor High School (TMS or Teddy Boys Mental School).

My late Father lived in Pudsey and then Bramley, (next to Stanningley By Pass) for a while....
It is a small world indeed! We lived in Bramley and had relatives in Pudsey (off Richardshaw Lane).

Ah, Farsley County Primary for me, then Leeds Central High.
Was familiar with Farsley - school walks took us around that area! Later in life I worked at the English Electric factory there. Also knew people from Farsley Celtic. I failed my 11+ so never went to High School but my yongest brother went to Leeds High - and later, when he married, he lived in Farsley!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I was a Wakey lad till the age of fower. Moved back 78-83 at Orbury Bridge then again for 3 months in 2012. Still miss the area. But not Wakey on a Saturday night that has the atmosphere of a Wild West town.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It is a small world indeed! We lived in Bramley and had relatives in Pudsey (off Richardshaw Lane).

Was familiar with Farsley - school walks took us around that area! Later in life I worked at the English Electric factory there. Also knew people from Farsley Celtic. I failed my 11+ so never went to High School but my yongest brother went to Leeds High - and later, when he married, he lived in Farsley!
Leeds Central was a technical high school including, for example, building in its range of subjects until the Leeds College of Building opened, and I'm pretty certain it had both 11+ pupils and those who hadn't passed the 11+.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I was a Wakey lad till the age of fower. Moved back 78-83 at Orbury Bridge then again for 3 months in 2012. Still miss the area. But not Wakey on a Saturday night that has the atmosphere of a Wild West town.
Thread drift: when were you in Wakefield? I lived there '63 -'72.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Leeds Central was a technical high school including, for example, building in its range of subjects until the Leeds College of Building opened, and I'm pretty certain it had both 11+ pupils and those who hadn't passed the 11+.
I wanted to be an Egyptologist but ended up leaving school at 15 (I'd passed my 13+ at Bramley Boys School and was transferred to Cow Close Boys School at Farnley so I could take my O Levels) because my mother insisted I go out to work!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Ah, Farsley County Primary for me, then Leeds Central High.

Thread drift: when were you in Wakefield? I lived there '63 -'72.
I wanted to be an Egyptologist but ended up leaving school at 15 (I'd passed my 13+ at Bramley Boys School and was transferred to Cow Close Boys School at Farnley so I could take my O Levels) because my mother insisted I go out to work!
So enough of education Yorkshire, how about moving this to the coffee lounge to chat about, and get back to the subject: A little thread drift is expected, but I feel this is excessive:

Rant over.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
So enough of education Yorkshire, how about moving this to the coffee lounge to chat about, and get back to the subject: A little thread drift is expected, but I feel this is excessive:

Rant over.
Guilty as charged: please accept my apologies.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
By way of penance, I offer this: it isn't a crane -I can't find any evidence of the Manx Electric owning a rail-mounted crane- but it does incorporate a scissor lift. Trailer No.52, Ballaskeig, 2012
All the other photos I can find show road cranes being used for tramway maintenance.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Guilty as charged: please accept my apologies.
Cant beat a bit of excess, 48-52. You can never have enough cranes on you layout. But getting back on track, a bit of mod to the lgb offering and some other bits I reckon Manchester one in post #21 well dooable. Bit like my pw vehicle as an example.image.jpg
Am I forgiven now for drifting?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Cant beat a bit of excess, 48-52. You can never have enough cranes on you layout. But getting back on track, a bit of mod to the lgb offering and some other bits I reckon Manchester one in post #21 well dooable. Bit like my pw vehicle as an example.View attachment 307010
Am I forgiven now for drifting?
To lay back and drift is good, as I'm sure your little plastic ducks have told you. Ooops, drifting again.

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Visited Oldenburg in Germany today and saw this. Hope the photos are useful.

Martin PXL_20221127_101034635.jpgPXL_20221127_101008752.jpgPXL_20221127_100946199.jpgPXL_20221127_100927998.jpg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Someone on the forum has very kindly sold me what I believe is going to be the ideal answer to a couple of ideas.

The question now is how to make the crane operational, I posed the question to a couple of friends, one of whom suggested lego technics.
Does anyone here have any experience of lego technics and any parts I might be able to use to rotate the cab, raise and lower the jib and raise and lower the hook.

As always any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1489.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1489.JPG.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You may find these people useful, especially their Mechanisms section,