Coupler Woes

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
So, I find the perfect coupler adapter for putting a hook and loop on my USAT 44 tonner and some fool has to go and break it! How do I find more of these. I'm cross-eyed from looking at coupler parts.

Coupler 1.JPGCoupler 2.JPGCoupler 3.JPGCoupler 4.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Most Bachmann stuff is black throughout, and the coupler parts (aside from the diecast 1:20.3 knuckles) is generally pretty flexible - it wouldn't snap like that.

The material is similar to Accucraft mouldings on their wagons, but their couplers are metal with flexible plastic buckeyes.

still a mystery :think::think::think:

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave - I am away from home at the moment so I am unable to check, but it does look like the coupler height adjustment bar made available with the Bachmann large scale Thomas the tank engine?
Regards Graham.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could try a good adhesive to fix it but looking at the size and shape it would probably not be impossible to file up a new one from a lump of brass. At least you have a master to copy.

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Possible fix.... Glue it as best you can, once it's set/dried....use a minidrill and bore through the joint at an angle, say 1mm or 16th inch. Then find a suitable pin that's a tight fit to push through with a soldering iron. I've fixed a couple of parts like this.

Malcolm

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Possible fix.... Glue it as best you can, once it's set/dried....use a minidrill and bore through the joint at an angle, say 1mm or 16th inch. Then find a suitable pin that's a tight fit to push through with a soldering iron. I've fixed a couple of parts like this.

Malcolm
I have done the glue and pin thing, though I normally use slow setting super glue to bond the pin(s).

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Where are all the offers of help from the 3D printing proponents on this forum ?

Just asking.

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
And before I read all the replies, ha ha, I had glued and pinned it back together and considered cutting out one of my own from my "master". But brass had not occurred to me. I was still thinking plastic of some sort. It came out of my coupler junk box. So, no, I don't really know where it came from. The brass idea intrigues me as I have made some cool stuff out of square and round tubing and stock before. Hmm...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
And before I read all the replies, ha ha, I had glued and pinned it back together and considered cutting out one of my own from my "master". But brass had not occurred to me. I was still thinking plastic of some sort. It came out of my coupler junk box. So, no, I don't really know where it came from. The brass idea intrigues me as I have made some cool stuff out of square and round tubing and stock before. Hmm...
Not sure that tube would be viable too many variable joints and soldering would be a real problem with so many possible parts, even if you included silver and low melt soldering into the mix.. But filing up from a solid as I said should be eminently possible if you can find a lump of brass the right size, would an old plug pin be big enough?

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Maybe the adapter for an LGB coupling for a Bachmann Lyn or something like that?

If there's someone Stateside with a printer that could help out, I would be happy to quickly knock up the file for you if you could post come measurements?

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Musket, that's very generous of you. I have attached a drawing (not to scale) with measurements indicated. Hopefully good enough with the above pictures for reference also.

Adaptor measurements.jpg

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
And, YES, I ignored the taper on the bottom as it seemed superfluous.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Musket, that's very generous of you. I have attached a drawing (not to scale) with measurements indicated...
Hi DVS,

The drawing's perfect, I'll jump on it this afternoon after work :)

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I've added a link to download the file into the resources section as STL files can't be sent directly via private message.

Coupling Adapter

If you can't find anyone to print it I could also put it up on Shapeways, I think their prices have gone up a little lately but the stuff that comes is usually very good quality and quite strong :) Let us know how you get on.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Where are all the offers of help from the 3D printing proponents on this forum ?

Just asking.

My faith in the 3D fraternity has been restored. Good team effort there guys.

DVS4G

RR Dave
25 Apr 2020
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Ricky, I'll check it out and let you know how it goes.
Dave