Converting Bachmann 2 x K-27 & Climax to battery power with Sierra sound

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Max!
That looks a very neat job. - I especially like the proper fixings.
Many would have just 'sticky-padded' a pile of bits, or relied on excess wiring, with everything just wedged in.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Final bit getting all the bits packaged up neatly in the tender - On the ground floor, the ESC, the PWM to linear converter (SSI-9) for the Sierra, battery packs and Visaton FRS 7 speaker. Mezzanine, the RX and sound triggers. Penthouse suite, the Sierra sound card and the Bachmann's own PCB with the RCS PnP card. The mezzanine and Sierra can be lifted out. All that needs to be accessible is up top under the coal load. The main switch and charger socket are under the water tank filler flap.

Just got to tweak the Sierra, to get it the way I like, then it's out for a run on the West Well. Max

View attachment 282069View attachment 282070View attachment 282071
Nice neat installation Max, you have shamed me into thinking that I should sort some of my installations to be much tidier like this.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Were you able to fit a better speaker? Looks crowded!

Better speaker ? I sincearly hope it is The vendor told me it was the top of the range one, a German made Visaton. It's a little bit tall, hence the PCB's raised height to clear the dirty great capacitor (?) on the underside of the board. Ou should see the size of the ring magnet. It's actually slightly undersized for the moulded in appature. Used a 500 ml rattle can top, sealed in place with "fx n flex", to act as a sound box. Max

P.S. I cannot load an image at the moment - I keep on getting a message "This upload faild because a temporary file was missing. The site administrator will......". The rest of the message is obscured by the files jpg # - That's useful.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You should see the size of the ring magnet. It's actually slightly undersized for the moulded in appature. Used a 500 ml rattle can top, sealed in place with "fx n flex", to act as a sound box.
Yeah, standard practice for speakers, and I've done the same with a Vistaton (not sure what model) in the Goose, although as you say, they sit a bit higher. I also followed the same line in the C-19 but because of the reduced diameter, managed to avoid the gubbins under the Bachmann board.

It does provide for a nice round sound with a bit of volume :nod::nod:

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Final bit getting all the bits packaged up neatly in the tender - On the ground floor, the ESC, the PWM to linear converter (SSI-9) for the Sierra, battery packs and Visaton FRS 7 speaker. Mezzanine, the RX and sound triggers. Penthouse suite, the Sierra sound card and the Bachmann's own PCB with the RCS PnP card. The mezzanine and Sierra can be lifted out. All that needs to be accessible is up top under the coal load. The main switch and charger socket are under the water tank filler flap.

Just got to tweak the Sierra, to get it the way I like, then it's out for a run on the West Well. Max

View attachment 282069View attachment 282070View attachment 282071
That's Brilliant thankyou I appreciate it.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Re: speaker, thanks Max, I use Visaton almost exclusively, I went back in the thread and saw that there was a plastic cup over the speaker (good!), but I did not find mention of the speaker until your posts subsequent to my question.

I use FRS-7 speakers, and they are a very good speaker for the size, 2.5".
frs7.jpg

Not to try to "one up" you, but I shoot for speakers 3" and over, really helps the bass. I even managed to fit a 4" speaker in the tender of an accucraft/aml loco.
Below is a Lionel Atlantic (FRS-8 is about 3.5")
rj_tender.jpg

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user