Converting Accucraft K-27 to battery r/c

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Yes, that can happen if the battery supply is over 12 volts.
The # SSI-12v5 after market Opto coupler device I used to make for Sierra sound pcb's was designed by Sierra and permitted up to 12 volts to be fed into the Sierra pcb to replace the 6 volt battery. PDF instructions The 12 volts was provided by a proper 12 v regulator.
+ 12v on terminal # 4 and - on terminal # 2.
If you used only 6 volts you could not get a Sierra diesel sound to ramp up to notch 8.
Tony, now that is a neat solution for a work around, may even cross over from the Dark Side of DCC to have a dangle at this battery power lark!;)

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
John, Max, Tony...
John, it looks like it is the same and it seems to hook up the same but...... is this PWM/linear adapter board the same as the ones that you created, for me to go between the Revolution RX/ESC or a DCC decoder (plus RF system) under battery operation (18V)?

AND just in case I want to have the option of track power as well as battery...
Will the converter also operate if switched over to track power (DC or DCC)?... (I should imagine that DC track power will be the same as battery but need to be above the usual 8v or so for the Soundtraxx card to kick in as there would be no back-up battery.... this will mean the usual 'popping' sound until voltage reaches 8V or so.

Here is the photo showing the original Aristocraft/Crest PWM/Linear unit that they made for the Revolution system to work with Soundtraxx sound cards...
Below that, is John's fine incarnation of the same device

110219_62d12511de83ef7961eb24997dad9a35.png

Last edited:
John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Mike, the one shown in the picture is a DIY version of the original Crest Board, Pink Resistor and 817 Opto's.

The other one with the Blue Resistor and the 2501 Opto's is a DIY version for the Sierra P.N. 810111 Radio Control Adapter Board

110221_4193c0444e7b51809074fdfd4e03e661.png

This one is for use with a DCC Decoder. The small board in the above picture also goes with this.
110223_e311dda87ae1b88a68ff0f8bb78b7d0d.png

Last edited:
beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
Ahhh John .....three types.....
Am I correct in thinking that the new Revolution RF DCC system (hooks up to DCC decoder for use with battery power) will use the third type?

Is the labelling (below) of your photo correct? ..... and what about the possible use (using a DPDT switch) with track power (DC or DCC) ...what ramifications to hook up would that mean?

110233_07f1ee86db933ae77fbe481160855c35.jpg

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Almost.:)

110237_a76faa10c0408347b34cfd7183bcbb71.png

Am I correct in thinking that the new Revolution RF DCC system (hooks up to DCC decoder for use with battery power) will use the third type?

Correct, if involves connecting to a decoder, these are required.

Revolution RF Receiver connects to the Decoder, decoder out to the adapter board, which then connects to the Sierra Card.
110239_8dcd0fdcba8d3c6b0c83e42f1ee977f6.png

This is the converter for PWM to Linear, for instance on Track Power with a PWM Controller, converts the Output to Linear to enable a Loco fitted with a Sierra Sound Card to operate correctly.

Smaller version, could well be fitted to individual loco's to be used on other owners of Garden Railways that use PWM controllers.

110241_8fc98c05ae276a00f6c5220624e27411.png

Last part of your query,
"and what about the possible use (using a DPDT switch) with track power (DC or DCC) ...what ramifications to hook up would that mean?"

Substitute Battery Input, for DC Track Input, PWM or Linear.... will have to give this some further thought, depends on which adapter board is fitted...................

DCC, Central Station using the Analogue facility, gut feeling this will be a non starter, mainly due to the way DCC Central Stations "stretch" the Analogue Output as DC, it has a peculiar waveform when you look at with measuring equipment, guess it would confuse the hell out of anything connected to it.

Which leads me to interesting thought, wonder what would occur if the "stretched" DCC signal was fed into a Linear Converter.........guess I'll have to find out !;)

Last edited:
beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
So if using a DCC decoder (track or Revolution DCC battery powered) with the Sierra board, you will need the three extra boards:
A. 1 x simple PWM to Linear converter (top left in photo)
B. 1 x the larger square board (middle of photo)
C. 1 x very small function interface board (in the photo in post 64)

I am being really thick I know, but still not quite sure what board 'B' does, compared to the DIY board (pink resistor) which I think has this circuitry on board already???)

Are either the DIY board or the PN810111 boards a combination of board 'A' and board 'B'?

Can the DIY crest board be used on its own with the sierra sound card but then a 6v back-up battery (and associated charging system) would still be needed?

in your photo..what is the fourth board just below the multimeter... is it an adjustable DC regulator?

110243_e311dda87ae1b88a68ff0f8bb78b7d0d.png

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
Mike, I'm off to do the day job, I'll post a picture, probably in the morning as "block" diagram on what connects to where.

beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
Hi John
Many thanks for that.
I can see that in the top diagram you show the regulator as half of the DIY board as the other half of the board is redundant with DCC as the DCC decoder supplies the 'speed' info to pins 8&7 on the Sierra board.

As far as the info on use of each board type with the Sierra soundboard:
The Aristocraft original 57090 (and your DIY version ) are for use with the Aristocraft (Crest) Train engineer Revolution DC (analogue) RX boards.
But...
...you also say that the Sierra PN 81011 can be used with Aristocraft Train Engineer.... does this mean that both types of boards are okay to use with the DC (analogue) Crest Revolution RX?

110289_107c51d3e34a8885881eced095765f2b.jpg

John S

John S

Registered
5 Nov 2017
Exeter, Devon, UK
As far as the info on use of each board type with the Sierra soundboard:
The Aristocraft original 57090 (and your DIY version ) are for use with the Aristocraft (Crest) Train engineer Revolution DC (analogue) RX boards.
But...
...you also say that the Sierra PN 81011 can be used with Aristocraft Train Engineer.... does this mean that both types of boards are okay to use with the DC (analogue) Crest Revolution RX?

View attachment 245588

Mike, as you are aware most of the info that has been collected was interspersed with contradictory and an often irrelevant load of old tosh!

I'd say yes, fundamentally each version of the various boards all perform the same identical function, in that the PWM in voltage/signal, is reduced to safe voltage level and is Linear for the Sierra Card to operate correctly.

The components differ slightly across all the variants, to do with how the PWM input voltage/signal is "fed" in, and based on the that, the output is adjusted accordingly to deal with this, and for the Sierra Card to operate correctly.

When you are installation mode, try a few combinations to see which one works best, it will either operate correctly or the infamous "popping" sound will occur!

The Sierra PN 81011 is the most expensive to replicate, about 10x more than the 57090 DIY version.

Last edited:
beavercreek

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
John could I order some more of the Sierra DCC adapter boards to go with the PWM/linear boards that you have already sent?