Connecting Smoke Generators Direct to Track Power

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks,

I've seen a couple of threads recently where people have mentioned connecting smoke genny's direct to track power on DCC equipped loco's.

Any chance of a how to guide on this if it hasn't been done already?

After reading the Stainzmaster's recent posts I suppose the first requirement is 24v smoke genny's, but all advice and guideance very gratefully received.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
err... one wire from the smoke genny to one track pickup wiring, via an on-off switch preferably, the other wire to the other track pickup wiring.
Can't get much simpler than that. As you say, make sure you use a genny that can handle the full DCC voltage.

All of my smoke gennys are wired that way unless they're in a DCC factory-fitted loco
that already has the genny controlled by a DCC function. I really don't see the need to have the smoke controlled by a function, a good old on-off switch in the cab or smokebox is fine. The vast majority of locos with a smoke genny have such an on-off switch already, so use that. If the loco currently has a low-voltage genny then the on-off switch will be connected to a voltage regulator etc. on the main board circuitry, and depending on how that's wired you may still be able to use it as-is.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
err... one wire from the smoke genny to one track pickup wiring, via an on-off switch preferably, the other wire to the other track pickup wiring.

Cheers Nick, I'd sort of thought (and hoped) it was that simple but wanted to check that there were no other considerations or things to look out for/avoid.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Gareth,
as Nick has stated, an on/off switch is required. When programming the decoder, obviously the smoke unit would need to be deactivated.