Computer Control Video

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I was bored the last couple of weekends so I made a film!

This is especially for insomniacs. Anyone who views the film and gets to the end still awake gets a special prize from me!

Access the film via the link below.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
By Heck Cliff....excellent little layout. I look forward to seeing it at Roxwell.
A really good video explanation too. :clap:
I still think that one needs a brain the size of a planet.....you just have one already!!:happy:

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
wow!!!
that's great work....both the layout, operation......and the video.
That is one for my playlist on Youtube......thank you.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Cliff,

Enjoyed the video....impressive little demo layout.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i only lasted 6 minutes,,,,, then i had to put underpants on my head and sit in a darkened room for 20 minutes slowly rocking forwards and back,,,,,

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Cliff great video just what I need for the tram layout :clap::clap::clap:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Fascinating - you're the master (through your computer) of all you survey! Honestly though, you exhibit a mental dexterity that I might wish to emulate but, sadly, I haven't a hope. Well done and well presented - even I grasped what you were saying!

steinz

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Best answers
Brilliant - was that the rest of the family playing the brass instruments in the background?

Mousey

Registered
1 Nov 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Fantastic video and explanation Cliff.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Stainzmeister said:
The great advantage at an exhibition with your set up is you can talk freely to onlookers withour having to keep one eye on the trains.
Also with a small but complex layout that you have, the number of train movements and variations are many providing much interest to the visitors.

Paul, Cliff has a large garden layout as well which works on the same system. The points work with compressed air and the whole layout runs like clockwork (digital clockwork that is!)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Am I right in thinking that the advantage of the computer over the handset is that in theory one can set down a series of events which could be operated by the press of one button on the computer rather than the everytime set up neccessary with the handset?
That is one side of it, but to achieve what Cliff has done would also require some form of feedback into the system so that the computer then "knows" when a train reaches a certain point and the next action can be carried out.
Nicely demonstrated. It's the sort of thing I could easily get involvedwith if my line were actually complex enough to warrant it!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
55.5 said:
Am I right in thinking that the advantage of the computer over the handset is that in theory one can set down a series of events which could be operated by the press of one button on the computer rather than the everytime set up neccessary with the handset?
That is one side of it, but to achieve what Cliff has done would also require some form of feedback into the system so that the computer then "knows" when a train reaches a certain point and the next action can be carried out.
Nicely demonstrated. It's the sort of thing I could easily get involvedwith if my line were actually complex enough to warrant it!
Yes Nick he uses 'presence' detectors for the feedback. His outside line is even more complex but very rarely has any problems..usually when there is a manually controlled train or the computer 'glitches'

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Very good Cliff!

As you know, I have dabbled with the LGB MTS 6.0 software and LGB PC Interface, but only to change points and set routes.

I haven't felt the need to go for total automation of the trains as yet, and I don't see me purchasing any LGB detection units in the future.

I look forward to seeing this demonstrated, hopefully at Roxwell....

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, my head has swelled to even bigger proportions!

Sorry about the lack of quick response had a day job to do, and been on a course this evening to be educated about school finance (and boy if you thought computer control was complex!!!!)

Steinz said:
Brilliant - was that the rest of the family playing the brass instruments in the background?

No, but I did play tenor horn in a brass band for many years, so I do like brass music.

Stainzmeister said:
Where do you exhibit ?

G Scale Society Essex Area Group indoor meeting at Roxwell 25th November.

I had a layout at the same meeting last year.

55.5 said:
....... what sort of prices are we talking about for software?

The particular software used in the video can be obtained from here: http://www.freiwald.com

There are other alternatives, some free.

Nick is correct for automatic operation you need some kind of feedback. The occupancy detectors used in the video come from here: http://www.ldt-infocenter.com/english/home_frame_e.htm

Thanks again guys. If you have any questions do ask.

ExeterGeek

Registered
30 May 2011
Exeter
patiorails.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff,
Excellent video.
Would love to see where you intend exhibiting...
And if I can get along will buy you some beers (or whatever).
My current challenge is to see if I can manually change a signal via DCC as a beginner... (I did points a few months ago)
Ultimately I'd like to have a couple of things on automation (like the railbus) that move - stop (at stations) - make announcements - move - whilst I (and perhaps others) get to manually drive trains...
Chris

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, my head has swelled to even bigger proportions!

Sorry about the lack of quick response had a day job to do, and been on a course this evening to be educated about school finance (and boy if you thought computer control was complex!!!!)

Steinz said:

No, but I did play tenor horn in a brass band for many years, so I do like brass music.

Excellent video mate, and ideal music choice for the speeded up bit.

[Brass nerd hat on] Was that Ray Farr on the Flugelhorn in Peer Gynt [/Brass nerd hat off]

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
[Brass nerd hat on] Was that Ray Farr on the Flugelhorn in Peer Gynt [/Brass nerd hat off]
[Train nerd hat off][Brass nerd hat on]
Yes Gareth that was Ray Farr on the Flugel. It came off a 1980 LP recorded by the National Brass Band (select members of Black Dyke, Brighouse, Grimethorpe and Besses) called Golden Melodies. I had trouble deciding between Peer Gynt and Largo from the New World Symphony with a Gordon Higginbottom tenor horm solo.
[/Brass nerd hat off][/Train nerd hat on]

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
[Train nerd hat off][Brass nerd hat on]
[/Brass nerd hat off][/Train nerd hat on]

Error: unable to parse markup - start of element tag "[Train nerd hat off]" not matched by closing tag "[/Train nerd hat off]"
Error: unable to parse markup - start of element tag "[Brass nerd hat on]" not matched by closing tag "[/Brass nerd hat on]"

[Computer nerd hat on]
Sorry, couldn't resist 8|
[/Computer nerd hat on]