Coach Lighting

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Welsh Valleys, near Newport
Best answers
Hoping someone here can help with what is possibly a simple question.

I have some bachman and aristo coaches that have been wired to pickup current off the track, pre DCC .

Can I use these coaches on my DCC system, which is powered by the MTS3 base station and 5amp transformer.

Rather know the answer first, before putting them on the track and possibly blowing every bulb in them.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A theoretical answer as I'm unsure of the voltage rating of those particular bulbs.
Provided they are bulbs, not leds, they will perform just the same on a DCC supply as on an analogue supply of the same voltage.
Naturally the DCC supply will, unlike the analogue one, be at full voltage all the time.

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
I ran my pre dcc Bachmann coaches, which sound same as yours with track pickups, and after change to dcc found that the bulbs nearly all went particularly if left coaches stationary and illuminated. So I would advise against it. Its relatively easy to replace the bulbs with leds but you will need batteries and resistors. If need any help just shout as I've done 4 now.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thought you were joking then but saw there were 11 of them!!

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
dumpy said:
I ran my pre dcc Bachmann coaches, which sound same as yours with track pickups, and after change to dcc found that the bulbs nearly all went particularly if left coaches stationary and illuminated. So I would advise against it. Its relatively easy to replace the bulbs with leds but you will need batteries and resistors. If need any help just shout as I've done 4 now.

Can understand need for resistors but why batteries?

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Because I dispensed with the coach track pick ups. I found that with 4 coaches my engines were struggling somewhat on the slight incline from bottom to top of garden. The track pick ups were creating drag. Of course you can still run with the pick ups and take power from the track.

rjstott

DIY, Photography, Electronics and Computers
8 Jan 2010
Lougratte, France
Best answers
Depending on voltage you might be ok but as pointed out earlier there is a significant drag factor as well as a current drain issue. Could I suggest two solutions, 1) coaches run as a set so why not interconnect from one to another and only use one pickup per set: shrink wrap is great to cover the interconnect and is even proto-typical (use a connector at one end to allow manual disconnection); 2) Convert the coaches to led lighting and you can then add a capacitor to eliminate flicker or even add a dcc control chip to switch the lighting on/off and perhaps include tail lights or other effects?

Richard Stott

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for the replies. I was worried about the bulbs blowing, not the drag from the coach pick ups. These all worked quite well before I went over to DCC, just been afraid to use em since.

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Just a postscript - just came back inside from running above coaches in the dark. Pure magic, and no bulbs blown. Don't intend to let em sit on the track, will take them off after each runout.
:clap:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Do you get the coaches as well!

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
My Bachmann coaches had a 9 volt battery for the lights, so I rewired them in series for 18 volts Analog track power.
This would not be good for DCC as my system is 24 volts.

I also find many older Aristo cars are 14 to 16 volt bulbs and smoke units in the coaches.
These need modifications for DCC.