Cleaning Tarnished Rail Ends. Cola, Vinegar or other lotions or potions?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having recovered a lot of track last year I have moved most of it on. But a few bits are hanging round still that I must relist but some I want for my projectedd "High Line" this will needs the ends cleaned as I do not intend to use Clamps on this indoor Automated Line. Watching varying vids on YouTube people do have success with Coka Cola on Coins.

Picture below showing the very tarnished rail ends and sleepers on an LGB R1 Curve with some of my Garden Railway outdoor track to show that this is what we get from outside exposure to both LGB or even Peco Rail.
image.jpeg
So a few weeks back I bought some Lidl Diet Cola and put some in my Paint Kettle just the other night, it has now had two overnight soakings.

Picture below shows how I propped the lengths in a good depth of the Cola. Note that the Fishplates are completely submerged.
image.jpeg
Picture below shows that there has been some effect but nothing like enough all round to make a difference. Just one of the sleepers and some rail end a bit better. Perhaps I should have used "The Real Thing"?image.jpegSo this morning the Lidl Cola has been ditched from the Kettle and some very old Sarsons Brown Vinegar replaced. I somehow have inherited a 2 Litre Plastic Container of this stuff. Let us see what this will achieve, keep watching this post. I do intend to nail this process.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Twenty odd years ago I had access to a school science lab. Their dilute sulphuric acid worked wonders. Best not to leave the rail in for too long though!

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
If you have a dishwasher, I can thoroughly recommend using it - assuming that you have the appropriate permission!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Try full strength cola, not the diet version.

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Tomato sauce

Shaun

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
White vinegar, just paint it on the rail end where the fish pate is going to go :nod::nod::nod:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
That is NOT a metal paint kettle is it? :think:

Long, long ago... My Father suggested an old (metal) biscuit tin be used for Ferric Chloride (etching printed circuit boards).

My bedroom had just had a full make-over complete with new carpet. :oops::eek::eek::eek:
Just glad it was his idea! :nod:

- The Coke will attack the metal of the kettle if it is.. Reducing the efficacy of the track-cleaning..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon
That is NOT a metal paint kettle is it? :think:

Long, long ago... My Father suggested an old (metal) biscuit tin be used for Ferric Chloride (etching printed circuit boards).

My bedroom had just had a full make-over complete with new carpet. :oops::eek::eek::eek:
Just glad it was his idea! :nod:

- The Coke will attack the metal of the kettle if it is.. Reducing the efficacy of the track-cleaning..
The metal paint kettle will be galvanised - under neath 25 coats of varying colours of dulux :devil::devil:

Reactions: 1 user

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
brick acid from any diy stockist,,, couple of hours and wash off with water

brings it back to almost new

but use gloves and goggles,,, it stings a bit on flesh,,, but you do get used to it,,,

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Having carried out some academic research, vocational research to come, it seems that "rust remover gel/paste" should be efficient, also propriety limescale remover (phosphoric acid). So I just need to get my hands on some and see.
WARNING - both of these are dangerous to use if unsure of safety requirements do NOT use.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That stuff will send you clean 'round the bend.

David

Not the best facility cleaner, I hear...

Not all its' quacked up to be!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
if you look up the ingredients in Coke, you will see the "bite" does indeed come from phosphoric acid.

Virtually any acid will work, I think by volume and strength acetic acid (vinegar) is cheapest here in the US.

Greg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Large "catering size" jars of white vinegar - also works as a very safe weedkiller for patios and block paving, although your garden does smell a bit like the local chippy for a few days....

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Toilet duck is a detergent, not an acid, so I expect results will be limited. Same with lots of modern loo cleaners.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Try Cilit Bang. Spray it on, let it do its stuff & then wash off. Good for getting flux off as well.