David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Having completed the roster of Claptowte Railway freight wagons, work has started on the passenger fleet. A start has been made on the first coach, which has been converted for some time, and is in the process of being painted. Unfortunately, since the start of the year, I have been preoccupied with the planning, and purchasing, for some fairly extensive 12” to the foot alterations to the ancestral pile. As a result there has been little or no time for modeling. This state of affairs will last into July this year, when the alterations should be complete with ‘only’ the redecorating to complete. I decided that in order to maintain interest, yours and mine, I will publish the work so far and add photographs of the finished model later.

As with the freight stock, I have collected the necessary vehicles over many years, to await modification/conversion. When finished, there will be a total of thirteen assorted bogie passenger vehicles formed up in three rakes of three assorted coaches plus a ‘floating’ buffet coach that can be added to any of the rakes, on demand. The fourth rake will comprise a 1st/3rd coach and a full brake (for papers and parcels) to which will be added the two 4-wheel freight liveried milk vans, to form the milk train.

The first conversion is based on the LGB old time US coach. I have a pair of these which will become all 3rd class coaches No6 & No7 on the Claptowte Railway, although it is anticipated that No7 will be additionally modified’ in the Claptowte Railway workshops, to become a buffet coach and re-numbered No14. The coach in the unmodified shots was obtained second hand off Ebay. I assume it was the previous owner who sprayed the black edges along the roof rather than LGB. The actual converted coach (No6) was purchased new.

Now, to describe the conversion. The object of the exercise was an attempt to Anglicise the model and to try and disguise the obvious origins as much as possible. Not sure where to begin as a lot of work has gone into this conversion.

The unmodified coach

dig 150915001.JPG

The modified coach

dig 150915006.JPG

The most obvious alteration is to the windows. The original passenger compartment has eight windows. The first thing I did was to cut out alternate side panels to create four larger windows. These were then framed out using plasticard strip to give a more British appearance. The white panels on the side of the coach are flat boards (plasticard) to take the decals for the railway name, coach numbers and third class designations. The bogies are now fitted with Al Kramer plated brass wheels, standard issue across the Claptowte Railway fleet.

The roof has been modified with the addition of GRS lamp tops and ventilators. Pipe work (brass wire) has been added that would originally have carried gas to the lamps but now forms a convenient conduit for cable to the modern electric lamps.

Before

dig 150915002.JPG

After

dig 150915007.JPG

The balcony ends have been extensively modified. The shape and position of the handrails has been altered using brass handrail wire and plastic tube. Balcony railings have been added courtesy of GRS white metal castings and additional brass wire, also GRS brass lamp irons added. Buffers and vacuum pipes have been added, salvaged from the process of mounting LGB Toytrain stock back to back, to form bogie vehicles which will be the subject of future threads.

Before

dig 150915003.JPG

After

dig 150915008.JPG

The seating has been modified. The old time wooden ends to the seats have been removed, ,they just pull off, and the peg holes filled in (it occurs to me that the discarded seat ends, with new platicard seats and backs will make excellent, cheap and unusual platform and/or waiting room seating). The wooden panels between the seat back and the head rest have been cut out and the headrests glued straight onto the seat backs. This was all intended to give the seating a lower, more modern and open appearance.

Before

dig 150915004.JPG

After

dig 150915009.JPG

Before

dig 150915005.JPG

After

dig 150915010.JPG

As with all of my conversions, the biggest alteration to appearance is down to the work carried out in the paint shop. The posting of that will have to wait until time allows..

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Neat bit of work. i like it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to lodge a protest.

Any railway that can turn out wagons and coaches at this rate can't be clapped out :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:p

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, very neat! - Depressingly so!! :eek::rolleyes:;);)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice conversion matey

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Great looking conversion,David. Looking forward to seeing it after the paint job

Rik

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I cannot believe it is nearly two years since I opened this thread and it is only now that I have got around to finishing this model. The main reasons for the delay have been a new kitchen/dining room, a refurbished bathroom and en suite shower room and several trips to the US to visit the Grandchildren. Not getting any younger I am determined to get the project finished while I am still able. This is the first of what will be a fleet of fourteen passenger coaches.

dig 180219003.JPG

dig 180219009.JPG

dig 180219011.JPG

dig 180219007.JPG

dig 180219008.JPG

David

Reactions: 14 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's a nice carriage - but fourteen?

You're sure you don't mean four :nerd::nerd::nerd:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's a nice carriage - but fourteen?

You're sure you don't mean four :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Yes fourteen and they will nearly all be different, a real narrow gauge mixture of styles.

dig 180219001.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So...............................................

When do you get the railway to run them all on?
;):p:p:giggle::giggle::giggle:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent davied...

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
IThe main reasons for the delay have been a new kitchen/dining room, a refurbished bathroom and en suite shower room This is the first of what will be a fleet of fourteen passenger coaches.
David
Crikey, that is going to be quite a squeeze in each carriage. still all the passengers will be able to take a decent evacuation after lunch :D

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country