CHIPS

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Been up to Acadia today with a view to purchasing an LGB 55027 MTS chip Price £82.00. Thought that it was expensive. Came home and rang Glendale Junction. Asked for a Massoth XL Price £55.00 Including P&P. It really pays to shop around:wits:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Alec I also wanted track cleaning wheels. He didn't have any, told him Massoth were doing them so I dropped him a link to their site. May be this time he may take notice:holdon::rolleyes:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I found these queries and answers of interest. However I am into SOUND and have looked at the following link to find what appears to be Sound Chips at under £60.00. Yes maybe American sounds, but with loads of programmable whistles etc do they cut the mustard for us in the UK. Over to someone with experience please?
JonD

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommer...s/large-gauge/large-gauge-steam-sound-decoder < Link To http://www.digitrains.co....eam-sound-decoder

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have just looked at their site. They appear to be ok. But I've no experience of them. Perhaps other members have. Also they are american so won't fit in with my RHB outline

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Unfortunately MRC decoders aren´t great, they are pretty low quality and I have read quite a few reports on various forums about their unreliability. They are very cheap that is true, but if you´re getting a sound decoder for around the 50 pound mark then you can?t really expect anything more. I would personally advise to stay away as if you are in the market for a DCC decoder then a little extra cash would be better spent on more quality products. Or at least in my case I`ll try and save up untill I can afford the sound boards that I really want!

All the best,
Gavin

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
If you are short of cash, but want sound I would recommend first going for a good quality decoder with a SUSI interface. Then it will be possible to upgrade to sound later when the cash is available.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
If you are short of cash, but want sound I would recommend first going for a good quality decoder with a SUSI interface. Then it will be possible to upgrade to sound later when the cash is available.

Thats exactly why I went for Massoth

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
MMM chips! :rofl:

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Phil said:
MMM chips! :rofl:

YOu know exactly what I meant. Remind me at the next meeting to give you a thick ear:crying::D

Phil

Trains, Just Trains.
25 Oct 2009
Oldham, Manchester.
Best answers
Country flag
Well you knew somebody would do it didn't you?
and i did it first :rofl:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
MRC decoders while rated for Gscale, have a 21 volt input rating.

Nice feature is GYRO and Strobe light capability built in.

I have a non sound 324 series and it makes the motor sing. Also, unit has 3 amp capability.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Dan said:
MRC decoders while rated for Gscale, have a 21 volt input rating.

Nice feature is GYRO and Strobe light capability built in.

I have a non sound 324 series and it makes the motor sing. Also, unit has 3 amp capability.

Ah but Philbahn's yodels.. :rofl: