Chipping An Lgb/aster Ngg13 Garratt

Bob Dunlop

I Love G Scale, 16mm, 1/20.3 & 7/8ths
18 Nov 2013
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Country flag
Evening to all. Does anyone have any experience in fitting a DCC chip or two to an analog LGB/Aster NGG13 Beyer Garratt with the original factory sound on board ?

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
From memory of seeing Neil Robinson's Garratt's inwards, I think you need two LGB 55021 decoders, which plug in to the boards already provided inside.
Send a message to Neil, I'm fairly certain he may have fitted them to his loco to improve its running qualities when visiting other peoples layouts with DCC (such as mine).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I have one here, and the covers will be coming off this next week..
What do you need to know, and I will make notes and take pictures..
PhilP.

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
From memory of seeing Neil Robinson's Garratt's inwards, I think you need two LGB 55021 decoders, which plug in to the boards already provided inside.
Send a message to Neil, I'm fairly certain he may have fitted them to his loco to improve its running qualities when visiting other peoples layouts with DCC (such as mine).

If it takes 2 x 55021, then you could also use a pair of Massoth L decoders which plug in just the same as the LGB 55021 but are cheaper! I'm sure Mark (Muns) at GRO could find you a couple.....

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Bob Dunlop

18 Nov 2013
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys, thanks for your responses , I've only just been able to read your responses as my computer was in bits following a motherboard failure. Really I suppose my main question is about what is it necessary to dismantle to allow access the circuit boards, where the decoders can be mounted, as there don't appear to be any drawings available as per other LGB loco's. I wouldn't know if there are separate boards under the water tank and coal bunker, or if everything is housed in the boiler. and whichever the case is, how do you get into the required components.
Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers

Bob

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose my main question is about what is it necessary to dismantle to allow access the circuit boards, where the decoders can be mounted, as there don't appear to be any drawings available as per other LGB loco's.
Cheers
Bob

You'll only need to remove the top of the rear bunker. From memory there are six very small cross head screws securing the top to the rest of the bunker. Four are on the top with the other two near the four position switch.
I hope to run my Garratt at the East Midlands GSS group meeting tomorrow. If I remember to take my camera I'll take some pictures.
The board is indeed designed to take two LGB type chips with one controlling one motor only with the other the second motor together with the lights etc.

Bob Dunlop

18 Nov 2013
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil, thanks for that info., phew !!, that's beginning to sound a lot easier than I expected as I had visions of some sort of major dis-assembly.
Pictures would be great.

Many thanks

Bob

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
To get to the decoders is a breeze! - Considering what you see in front of you on the bench.

Now, motors et al.. That is a different story!! :(:cry::think::oops:;)

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
The remaining Aster parts of the electric powered loco's (for Frank S contact Aster directly) where bought by Modell-Land-Service, not Modell-Land! alltough there must be a link between the companies.

The exploded view HERE: http://www.modell-land-service.de/ersatzteile-aster-garrat-20922-aster-c-353_356.html

Yep, i used to own one, have replaced it with a NGG16 as i couldnt resist the live steam version! Not the best of Accucraft's offerings, as its still in bits. My next winter project.

Last edited:

Bob Dunlop

18 Nov 2013
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys, the link to the exploded drawings is very useful as I didn't know that it existed.

Cheers

Bob

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
O.K., here's how I'd do it.
Have a copy of the exploded drawing in the link already posted to hand.
Lift out the fake coal and put it to one side
Remove the six small cross point screws from the coal bunker top using a well fitting screwdriver.
The other side is similar.

IMG_0336.JPG

Remove the circlip from the cab floor and unplug the two sets of wires from the coal bunker making a note of which set goes where. Detach the rear bunker from the rest of the loco.

This allows easy access to the two remaining screws. It may be possible to get at them without separating the units but I prefer to separate them.
One of the screws is ringed in this image, Don't undo the nearby slotted screws that hold the switch in place, just the two cross points.

IMG_0338.JPG

Lift off the bunker top, unplug the switch cable from the circuit board and put the bunker top to one side.

The image below is of a detached spare circuit board.
I have taken all images myself, please feel free to copy and send them elsewhere if needs be.

IMG_0335.JPG

The following is suggested in good faith, but I haven't personally chipped mine so I recommend that you get confirmation from the supplier of your chip(s) and follow their advice.
Switch all six dip switches in the top right hand corner to OFF. They are ON in the photo.
This board was designed to take two single motor decoders with one also providing other functions
Observe the two rows of four pins (X1A and X1B) below the switches, one row for each decoder.
These are coded ge (Yellow) ws (White) br (Brown) and gn (Green).
Your decoders should have matching wires with plugs.
One decoder may also be supplied with additional wires that terminate in a plug that fits the blue socket to the left of the pins. Alternatively wires may be needed to connect to the pins below the blue socket
Both decoders need to be set to the same address, your supplier should be able to do this or just confirm its setting (most likely 3) if you're not happy to try yourself.
Double check all connections and dealer recommendations/settings, reassemble and have fun.

Last edited:

Bob Dunlop

18 Nov 2013
Milton Keynes
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil, that really covers everything I need to know, a really great set of instructions.

Many thanks

Bob

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would just add..
Beware that circlip! - Ping!!
And you may find things a little more crowded in the tender itself:

DSC00978-1.jpg

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
One thing I've always done on these twin chip installations is bridge the track pins, (brown to brown and white to white), so both units are linked for pickup. This eliminates one stopping while the other is driving if it hits a dead spot. I usually use one XL decoder as well so that saves space too.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
bridge the track pins, (brown to brown and white to white), so both units are linked for pickup. This eliminates one stopping while the other is driving if it hits a dead spot. I usually use one XL decoder as well so that saves space too.
Good idea, so would I.

Orgiva

Registered
2 Jan 2016
Alpujarras
Best answers
Country flag
A follow up please. Can I plug in one 55027 instead of 2 x 55021s to run this engine? If so, is the 55027 plug and play without any other work required?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As I just mentioned in your "other" thread, the 55027 has a 10pin interface, you would have to remove the connector and wire up a 6pin connector as well as split the track and the motor wires and use appropriate connectors for the pins.

Far easier to either,

Use a Massoth XL (8150001 @ £52) and a Massoth 6 pin interface cable (8312061 @ £5).
or
2x LGB55021 (or Massoth equivalent - eMotion L) decoders and a 6 pin interface cable.

Orgiva

Registered
2 Jan 2016
Alpujarras
Best answers
Country flag
Mark, thanks for the clarity.

Orgiva

Registered
2 Jan 2016
Alpujarras
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to revisit this thread. The instruction in the loco's manual says you need 2 x 55021s and 1 x 55026. My question is, what is the configuration for using these?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to revisit this thread. The instruction in the loco's manual says you need 2 x 55021s and 1 x 55026. My question is, what is the configuration for using these?

From what I recall, having had a couple of locos with early MTS installations like this: The two 55021 decoders are each wired to one set of the four pins (green/yellow/white/brown) on the loco main board, so each decoder is driving one power unit; the 55026 interface cable is installed with the 6-pin plug into the socket on the loco board, and the six wire ends (which should each be terminated in a standard LGB push-on spade) go to six of the pins on just ONE of the decoders (I don't think it matters which) in accordance with the instructions for the cable and decoder. The interface cable deals with functions such as lights, smoke and sound (if fitted).
Check all the instructions carefully, there will be a bank of dip switches on the loco board which MUST be set correctly when the decoders are installed, otherwise the magic smoke will escape..... from memory I think they are set ON for analogue operation, and to OFF when the decoder(s) are installed, but double-check that with the instructions rather than taking my word for it!

Jon.