chipping a new Lgb Kof

welsh wizard

Registered
29 Oct 2009
south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Just got hold of one of the new KoF Locos and after some info on fitting a chip anybody done one yet? Thanks Merv from a very wet n dark S Wales coast....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Merv - do you mean one of the 0-6-0 diesels from the Wangerooge set? At first I thought you meant one of the HSB or DB/DR 4-wheel KoFs, but those are all chipped already as far as I know....

Also, do you want a sound decoder or just a motor-control chip in it?

Jon.

welsh wizard

Registered
29 Oct 2009
south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon yes its on those wangerooge loco,s from the set,got it separately secondhand so was wondering if anyone has taken it to bits to fit a chip,would just be fitting a motor control chip for now but possibly going sound later, just wondering if its a hard wire or plug jobbie and what chip people have used.Merv from a still wet and dark S Wales coast....

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

welsh wizard

Registered
29 Oct 2009
south wales
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for all the swift help !! outstanding! as usual from the forum... will be ordering a chip tomorrow !!! Merv from a wet and dark S wales coast....:clap::clap::clap:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just a suggestion, if you think there is a strong likelihood of you wanting sound in this in the future then I'd go for it now, by installing an LS chip (I think the XLS would be physically too large, and would also be much more powerful than you need for this loco). Using an L or XL now and then deciding to fit sound later will cost you more in the long run than an LS will now. As we've been discussing at length in another thread today (on the DCC section), if you ask him nicely then Mark (Muns) at GRO will supply you an LS fitted with a wiring harness ready to plug straight into the 10-pin DCC socket in the loco!

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Just a suggestion, if you think there is a strong likelihood of you wanting sound in this in the future then I'd go for it now, by installing an LS chip (I think the XLS would be physically too large, and would also be much more powerful than you need for this loco). Using an L or XL now and then deciding to fit sound later will cost you more in the long run than an LS will now. As we've been discussing at length in another thread today (on the DCC section), if you ask him nicely then Mark (Muns) at GRO will supply you an LS fitted with a wiring harness ready to plug straight into the 10-pin DCC socket in the loco!

Jon.

Alternatively, if you do decide to go to an LS, it would be simple to remove the existing loco main board and cab on/off switch entirely, then connect the loco's lighting leads to mate with the 4-way mini-CT cable supplied with the LS. That way you won't be struggling to find room for everything.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Zerogee said:

Jon.

Alternatively, if you do decide to go to an LS, it would be simple to remove the existing loco main board and cab on/off switch entirely, then connect the loco's lighting leads to mate with the 4-way mini-CT cable supplied with the LS. That way you won't be struggling to find room for everything.

Good point, Peter, and that is probably the way I'd do it if I were to be doing one for myself - I was suggesting the other route in case Merv preferred a simple plug'n'play install job, which it would be once the suitable wiring harness was sorted out.
Going the strip-it-out-and-start-from-scratch way would certainly give more room, as you say, and probably allow for a set of Micro Powercaps (if desired) to be fitted where the original factory circuit board was - freeing up the space behind the radiator for the intended speaker, which of course would be needed if going for sound! If the bonnet of the Wangerooge version is the same as my old red/cream OBB liveried one was, then a 40mm square-mount speaker is a simple fit in here with four screws and washers.

Jon.