Changing the wheels on your track cleaner

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Further information in this old thread.
http://www.gscalecentral.net/track-track-laying/replacing-cleaning-wheels-on-an-lgb-track-cleaning-loco/msg229256/#msg229256

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Keep a very careful eye on the cleaning axle after the loco has been in use for any length of time. There is a tendency for thin strands of plastic to peel off the plastic cover discs virtually unnoticed, these can and will jam the axle and burn out the motor.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
It is important to get the original LGB cleaning wheels as the plastic wears and its purpose is to raise the cleaning wheels at the plastic frogs on switches.
I alternate cleaning wheel kits, one year the Massoth, the next ear the LGB complete kit.

Reactions: 1 user

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
that old thread is superb too,
and
I will again mention, beyond keeping the machine clean and free of strands, everytime you run it, as noted

I have had huge success with reversing the polarity of the cleaning wheels so that they pull with the loco direction
I have found that on slippery rail and points this gives better performance in tracking

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
I have had huge success with reversing the polarity of the cleaning wheels so that they pull with the loco direction
I have found that on slippery rail and points this gives better performance in tracking
I have found this too. Mine also pulls a wagon with extra pickups for really filthy track and pointwork.