Car bulbs for house lighting

Bredebahn

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
Anyone tried buying those solar powered garden lights that sell for around £1 each? I am very tempted when I rebuild to buy and dis-member a few of those to just the solar panel and the white LED as they will be ideal for lighting buildings a distance from any power supply. Tend to be going very cheap at this time of year as well.

bobg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
No, but I threw a load of them away last year, without thinking. One of my 'power' clearouts! :rolleyes: Even using the solar cell for battery charging would be good.

pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
The only problem is the 'solar' bit. No Sol no jip. :nerd:
Also I have had some of these solar panel powered lights in the garden for about 5 years, the plastic covering the solar panel has gone milky and so they don't charge properly.
I prefer flicking a switch. On / Off :confused:

bobg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
That bit is true; one of the reasons I chucked them. I could have course salvaged them and mounted then under glass which is cleanable. Tooooooooooooooo late!!!!

hagen

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
The only problem is the 'solar' bit. No Sol no jip. :nerd:
Also I have had some of these solar panel powered lights in the garden for about 5 years, the plastic covering the solar panel has gone milky and so they don't charge properly.
I prefer flicking a switch. On / Off :confused:
I bought a bunch of 12V garden lighting of the wired kind when the local garden centre had a clear-out at 90% off.
With out door grade 12V transformers in the set. Flip a switch, on/off :)

annieshalt

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
mathew save your self a load of money and grief, go to your local motor factors, 12v x5watt,
festoon bulbs, 12vx5watt capless bulbs, both aproximately £1.20 a pair, soldering iron £10.00, cabel £4.00 battery charger £12.00. there you go. i have all by buildings and sidings lit up this way, and have had no misshaps for the past 6 years.

its a very simple method and a lot of builders do this....... allan.

mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
mathew save your self a load of money and grief, go to your local motor factors, 12v x5watt,
festoon bulbs, 12vx5watt capless bulbs, both aproximately £1.20 a pair, soldering iron £10.00, cabel £4.00 battery charger £12.00. there you go. i have all by buildings and sidings lit up this way, and have had no misshaps for the past 6 years.

its a very simple method and a lot of builders do this....... allan.
it works for me..

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com