Can a crest 5475 be made to actuate solenoids ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
John,
Would you mind if I PM'ed you on this?

PhilP.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
maxi-model maxi-model and the The Tinker The Tinker , have managed to source the relays, if it's OK with you two Gentlemen, I've gone ahead and ordered a few, to construct a working version, which I'm happy to send out to you for testing and see it will it serve the purpose to power an Air Solenoid.

Thank you John for the offer but I may now have to drop out of this as I do not seem to have a 5475 accessory decoder in my possession that can talk to a TX of the same make, generation and product line, that it is supposed to, due to an unforeseen circumstance.

See another thread I have just started - Problem binding Train Engineer 5475 RX - G Scale Central

Feeling a little annoyed and disappointed, not sure if it is just with myself ;) Max

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You say that voltage can flow through this circuit:
132870_87644abbca4a67a8b63a91eff389e49a.png

From SWA? NO WAY..... lets take the 2 possible scenarios:

SWA red is positive, swa black is negative.... and let's pretend current goes from plus to minus for convention.

So the electrons leave swa in the red wire, go through the first 1N5819, go to pin 1 of the relay, go through the coil, come out pin 10 and are STOPPED by the lower 1N5819 from the polarity.

Now how about the opposite situation, the black wire is positive. The current goes through the lower 1n5819, through the coil and is STOPPED by the upper 1N5819...

This is your circuit:
no_flow.jpg

NO CURRENT CAN FLOW FROM 1 to 2 or vice versa.......

This was my first point that you took exception to.... your schematic is flawed and impossible. Look again, your schematic shows both diodes with the cathodes in the SAME orientation...

Greg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So after the name calling and characterization, I guess it has finally gotten through that there was an error in the schematic given as above, as stated several times.

Also, apparently while busy calling me sarcastic, it was missed that I stated the small coil in the latching relay did not need a snubber diode for protecting the Crest unit. This can be seen by the small amount of current it draws (see the data sheet) and also the clear fact that the Crest unit ALREADY can drive switch motors with no further protection.
(post 32 is the complaint, post 36 indicates snubber not needed on relay coil)

So the Crest can be connected to the coil of the latching relay directly, and then whatever voltage needed for the pneumatic solenoid can be switched by only one set of contacts, and a snubber SHOULD be used across the coil of the pneumatic solenoid (they do indeed have quite an inductive kick, I know I use them)

The positive and negative pulses from the Crest will set and reset the latching relay, and then will energize or de-energize the pneumatic relay.

Max want it it simple.... one latching relay and diode per switch output. Cannot get simpler than that.

This schematic, with the revisions:

crest-pneumatic.jpg

Clearly this is so simple (be sure to locate the diode as close to the solenoid as possible) Max should try it out... keep your eyes open Max, you will find more of the Crest units on the second-hand market. Get a couple of spares.

Greg

Last edited:

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, I may have wanted it simple but now I may have to drop out of this one as I do not appear to have a 5475 RX I can use with either of my 5473 TX's. And knowing what I know now I do not see how I am going to find one with any ease. I need somebody nearish my neck of the woods, Buckingham, who has one they are willing to part with that I can go round and test bind to one of my TX's on frequency #1. Perhaps all these TE's are just getting to old to use reliably ? But thanks for the thought and all the collective brain power and time that has been brought to the "hypothetical" I posed. Max

Ah, Green Bay/Vikings game has just started. Time to go :)

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Greg that explains it clearly for me
Cheers Andy

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think Max will eventually find more Crest units, and normally at a good price, and then will succeed.

The Crest units are actually pretty rugged, just no one to repair them now.

Wanted to put a close on this if anyone uses it for reference later.

Best, Greg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Where have you been looking Jimmy ? My UK sourced 5475 RX, unused, cost £35 + postage, from Ebay. If there was not this issue, which I only now understand, with TE TX's & RX's (with non scanning receivers) apparently being prone to eventually having problems binding, all would have been well. I also picked up a very clean TE 5471 with fan & 5473 (5470) for £40 last week.

Greg it is for the above reason I think not pursuing any further with this "latching 4575" idea might be best. It seems there might be a high risk of any TX and 5475 RX employed unexpectedly and irrevocably going "out of tune" so to speak leaving an expensive solenoid switch system inoperable and a need to revert and reinstall the manual system. All a bit of a lottery so to speak. Not even a short term solution really now I think about it. But thanks for all your efforts.

I'll wait till my, now 2 TE systems, finally die and go to garden rail heaven, or I ditch track power for battery in its entirety and I install an all encompassing unified R/C system that can operate my track powered, battery and live steam locos and pneumatic switch and signal system from one handset. Yeah, and unicorns exist too :D Max