Bush Loco#2 build (Twin Boiler)

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Oooh, that's different!
Was there ever a prototype for that arrangement?
Edit. Ah, just watched the video, it appears that there was indeed a prototype.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I thought some here may be interested in a recently completed scratch build of a Twin Boiler Bush Loco.
What an exquisite little dragon. Reminded me a lot of the early experiments with bodged up Mamids incorporating gears, new boiler and revisions much as you have done but to create very nicely an obscure bush prototype. Definitely fits in with your backwoods bush like line.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Oooh, that's different!
Was there ever a prototype for that arrangement?
Edit. Ah, just watched the video, it appears that there was indeed a prototype.
The very start of the video shows a prototype.

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
What was the need for 2 boilers, just to get enough steam presumably? And a bigger boiler wouldn't fit?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly, what was available, and a boiler may have been beyond 'Bush-engineering' at the time?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful

RobM-W

Registered
4 Apr 2021
Moggill, Brisbane, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What an exquisite little dragon. Reminded me a lot of the early experiments with bodged up Mamids incorporating gears, new boiler and revisions much as you have done but to create very nicely an obscure bush prototype. Definitely fits in with your backwoods bush like line.
Bushy #1 is exactly as you describe... a hodge podge of parts based on a Mamid (Mamod) TE1A.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bushy #1 is exactly as you describe... a hodge podge of parts based on a Mamid (Mamod) TE1A.

Another interesting Dragon, but I am a little confused about the Piston on top of the boiler that has a wheel the other side that changes direction at random. Is this a movie thing or is something else going on?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Another interesting Dragon, but I am a little confused about the Piston on top of the boiler that has a wheel the other side that changes direction at random. Is this a movie thing or is something else going on?

I think it is like an old cowboy movie with the cart wheels appearing to go backwards. The video frame rate is a tad faster than the RPM of the piston (or a multiple of that). It then appears to be going backward.
Like a timing light when adjusting the distributor on a car. Don't stick your fingers into the fan dunnyrail. >:)

I could perhaps assume that the piston crank is about 1500 RPM when it appears still in the video (@25FPS). That's a lot of gearing down to be done therefore all the reduction gears to the axle. :nerd:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
That's an inspiration, and very much in the spirit of the original loco!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Utterly bind-spelling!!! What an inspiration to folks who say that they could never build anything, as well. Mind you, a LOT of experience has gone in to producing that fearsum little engine*, that's for sure.

* apologies to Iain M Banks.