Building roads

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Gentlemen; I'm about to lay out my first town on my railway. Any ideas on doing dirt/gravel roads would be appreciated. Keeping in mind minimal maintenance. don't want to have to "trim" my roads. Thanks in advance pictures always appreciated.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Worth seeking out old tiles. I've used some left over from my kitchen floor, though for the town roads I was after a concrete road finish rather than dirt or gravel. But I will also be using some old riven stone tiles elsewhere in a farm setting, sourced free from a Facebook group giveaway, which could pass for compacted earth.

With good support beneath, they are good to walk on too, for access, and are very effective at keeping weeds at bay.
OpenGarden11July2015%20004.JPG
stone_tile.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Or if you want rougher roads use concrete, do not forget some foundation before on well tamped earth. This option give the possibility of meandering roads with a slightly uneven edge if that iwps what you need. This and Via’s suggestion can give you 2 great solutions.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
One other suggestion, though certainly not cheap and requiring a lot of preparation of the area beneath, is resin-bonded gravel. I've used this myself only for 1:1 footpaths and steps rather than in the model railway itself, but I've seen photos of a truly excellent garden railway (forgotten where, unfortunately) where it was used for platforms and roads.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used shed roofing felt...the more finer grit varieties, which can be spray painted for creating new tarmac, older grey or dusty tracks using a mask to give difference between the central area and where the tyres contact etc.
It is cheap and can be easily cut to shape like curves etc.
Good tamped earth is all that is required underneath.

Reactions: 1 user