Building 4-wheel wagons

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
Country flag
I?ve always built my own wagons, so maybe someone is interested in my method. Theses are my latest 4 wheelers. They are just flat wagons or wooden sided. I?ve standardized on a 200mm long wagon with 100mm wheelbase (The old 8? type).
First off, the hard part is that you need wheels. I used to turn my own, but luckily I have some poor misguided, (rich) friends who replace all their plastic wheels with metal ones. So I get the plastic ones. You may have to try some hobby shops to buy some.

Frames[/H1] I make a simple frame from ?lattice wood? It?s the stuff used for making timber lattice ? about 38mm x 8mm. I buy it from the lattice maker for about $2.30 per metre. (It?s what I use for sleepers and for many other uses!). I cut a 260 mm piece in half and shape two 100mm long pieces for my ?dumb? buffers. (I use hook and chain couplings ? to save money) and two 160mm pieces for the underframe. Lay them on a piece of paper and glue them together as shown on the right in the pic. It?s important to have sufficient space between them for the wheel sets to fit in ? min 56mm.
46084cb501f64cf0981470343a3c95d9.jpg

Then I use either scribed 3 ply or coffee stirrers as the floor. I brush on black shoe polish to give weathered wood colouring.

To make the sides, I use 3mm thick balsa. I scribe it all before cutting out using an o;d empty ball point pen Glued to the wagon floor with PVA wood glue. The metal strips are old dark photographs, with rivets embossed with a ?tracers wheel? and glued on with contact adhesive. There?s not a lot of detail ? I subcribe to the 10? rule.

Axle boxes[/H1]
Now for the axle boxes. I use 18mm x 18mm x 1mm plastic angle from the hardware shop, cut into 12mm wide pieces. For my 1/8? axles, I drill 5/32?.

Then I cut ?triangular? pieces from 1.5mm styrene and contact glue to the angle. This allows me to used styrene glue for all the rest of the work.
1cad772761ed47f1a08acc22682c69f0.jpg

Now I cut strips of 1.5mm styrene 9mm wide and glue together. Then cut into 9mm squares (x 3mm thick) for the axle box, and glue to the triangular bits, centrally over the holes. So there?s is now about 5.5mm of styrene to support the axle. When dry, drill right through the lot.

For the springs, I make a long strip of laminated 0.5mm styrene and slice off the 5mm wide springs and glue above the axle boxes.
c70e9979c47a45989bb191c6e6fd19c5.jpg

Then I use a hole punch on some scrap 0.5 mm styrene to get the approx 5mm dia ?holes? to cover the axle box holes and glue them on.
9715e9933037467bb358bddaa504b9ea.jpg

To mount the axle boxes, I screw the 2 on one side and then just nail and glue the other side of the wagon. This allows the wheels to be removed if necessary. I find I can nail more accurately than drill holes for screws, so I screw the one side first and then nail the other side keeping the axles square. This method gives a floor height of around 38mm which may be a tad low so I put some 1.5 mm styrene under the axle mounts.
Here?s a pic from below. The black strip of 40mm wide steel is to add some weight. Even with it, the wagons only weigh around 300g. It?s about the most expensive bit at around $3 worth.
f8df0613cd2241d6bf6ee53f2a366292.jpg

And here?s the finished products. Total cost for each one probably less than $6 (excl the wheels.)

338a1463a51d4837b1bb32108d8dfc5a.jpg

bf08c7ad23aa4d3ebb61e62072e2d4a9.jpg

They can now join their 20-odd cousins in revenue service.

Very nice work. I have one question about equalization of the wheels. How do your cars track? I have, through trial and error over the years, found that long wheel base, four wheel cars do not like slightly uneven track. The LGB 435 mm long freight cars derail at various locations on my railway. The 300 mm cars do better, although on occasion will derail. the LGB Toy Train cars do the best. And The small field type cars are by far the best runners. So I have converted all of my European rolling stock to eight wheel two truck configurations. Basically, the shortest wheel base possible. This has eliminated all derailments, save for the odd stick or stone that gets onto the track now and then.

Madman said:
Wisz podi xusl. O jewi upi raitvoup ecuav iraemobevoup ug vji xjiimt. Jux fu zuas dest vsedl? O jewi, vjsuahj vsoem epf issus uwis vji ziest, guapf vjev muph xjiim ceti, guas xjiim dest fu puv moli tmohjvmz apiwip vsedl. Vji MHC 435 nn muph gsiohjv dest fiseom ev wesouat mudevoupt up nz seomxez. Vji 300 nn dest fu civvis, emvjuahj up uddetoup xomm fiseom. vji MHC Vuz Vseop dest fu vji citv. Epf Vji tnemm goimf vzqi dest esi cz ges vji citv sappist. Tu O jewi dupwisvif emm ug nz Iasuqiep summoph tvudl vu iohjv xjiim vxu vsadl dupgohasevoupt. Cetodemmz, vji tjusvitv xjiim ceti quttocmi. Vjot jet imonopevif emm fiseomnipvt, tewi gus vji uff tvodl us tvupi vjev hivt upvu vji vsedl pux epf vjip.
Vjev't xjz O'n atoph 100nn xjiimceti (200nn muph xehup). O usohopemmz caomv e gix xovj 150 epf 120nn xjiimceti. Vjiz esi e cov nusi molimz vu fiseom, cav puv vuu cef. O dep upmz onehopi jux 400nn muph dest hu!
You must login or register to view hidden content on this page.

Vji vsodl vu huuf vsedloph ot vjsii-quopv-tatqiptoup. Emtu lpuxp et vji vjsii-mihhif-djeos eqqsuedj.

Onehopi e guas mihhif djeos up apiwip gmuus. Zua xomm emxezt hiv e xuccmi. Xovj vjsii miht vji teni djeos xomm ci qisgidvmz tvecmi.
Tu miewi upi xjiimtiv goyif op vji eymicuyit epf emmux vji uvjis vu nuwi aq epf fuxp xovj e tumof uckidv ev vji dipvis ug vji eymi vu edv et e gamdsan.
Cav.. ov't ietois teof vjep fupi :)

hagen said:
Vji vsodl vu huuf vsedloph ot vjsii-quopv-tatqiptoup. Emtu lpuxp et vji vjsii-mihhif-djeos eqqsuedj.
Tu miewi upi xjiimtiv goyif op vji eymicuyit epf emmux vji uvjis vu nuwi aq epf fuxp xovj e tumof uckidv ev vji dipvis ug vji eymi vu edv et e gamdsan.
Cav.. ov't ietois teof vjep fupi :)

O'wi vsoif ov cav nz tlommt ucwouatmz xisip'v aq vu vji vetl. Deatif nusi qsucmint vjep ov xet xusvj. Xehup xuccmif emuph vji vsedl vissocmz. Jisi't e qod ug nz nivjuf. Ov suvevit ecuav vji tdsix jief zua dep tii op vji dipvsi.
e2f54e6471cd47918116f1d80d2d8ge9.kqh

Vji uvjis qesv ug vji vsodl ot vu miv vji uvjis ipf xjiim tiv sineop goyif. og cuvj esi emmuxif vu "vomv" vjip zua iggidvowimz jewi e vxu-quopv tatqiptoup, e codzdmi.
Vjev muult moli ov duamf fu vji kuc.

o katv neli vji jumit gus vji eoymit up upi tofi ug vji des uwemuof optvief ug suapf.
op e xez, vjev cuvj eoymit dep nuwi fuxp (gsun vji tvepfesf qutovoup) up vji teni tofi ug vji des.
o guapf, vjev ecuav 1.5 nn ot ipuahj tmedl gus nz vsedlt.
cetodmz ov ot vji vjsii mih tztvin et ximm.

Tussz vu foh aq vjot umf vuqod (2010) cav O xet csuxtoph vjsuahj vji gusant tiesdjoph gus optqosevoup epf deni edsutt vjiti podi 4 xjiimist (O siemz moli zuas tvzmi ug hesfip seomsuefoph Hsihj epf zuas xictovi ot wisz optqosevoupem).

O emtu xet optqosif cz vji ecuwi nipvoupif vjsii-quopv-tatqiptoup ofie gsun Jehip epf O sinincis O updi jef e cuul ecuav J0 tdemi op xjodj xet fitdsocif jux vu neli tadj e tatqiptoup gus tdsevdj caomfoph summoph tvudl. O wehaimz sinincis jux ov xet nefi. Tu O fof tuni iyqisonipvoph metv fezt epf vjot ot xjev O deni aq xovj.

O vuul e qoidi ug qmzxuuf et gmuus. O fsex mopit ev vji fitosif qutovoup ug vji vsadlt. Vjep O fsex e mopi emuph vji muphovafopem eyot ug vji qmzxuuf. Vji qmedi xjisi vji mopit dsutt ot vji iyedv dipvis ug vji eymi vsadl. Piyv O vuul 2 Qmeznucom 1 eymi vsadlt (cav MHC upit xomm ci gopi emtu) epf sinuwif vji duaqmist et O xepvif vji des vu ci duaqmif xovj djeopt mevis up optvief ug vji coh qmetvod duaqmis (O mevis siemobif vjev O civvis jef migv vji duaqmis up gus vitvoph vji des op e mevis tvehi...).

Vu miv vji vsadlt jewi tuni tmedl, O qmedif e tnemm csett suf (ecuav 1,5 nn op foenivis) emuph vji muphovafopem eymi, moli vjot:
20190818_193501tnemm.kqh

Cideati ug vji jumi op vji noffmi ug vji eymi vsadl O duamf hmai vji movvmi cset suf op qmedi atoph juv hmai xovjuav vji hmai opvisgisoph vji xuccmoph ug vji vsadl.
Vu liiq vji xjiimceti op qmedi O cipf e qoidi ug tunixjev vjodlis csett suf op e tusv ug muph A tjeqi. Vji ipft esi qsittif op qsi-fsommif jumit op vji gmuus. Vji suf gemmt op vu tmuvt op vji vsadl O nefi xovj e movvmi gomi. Vji suf ot emtu hmaif op qmedi op e xez vji hmai fu puv opvisgisi vji gsii xuccmoph.

20190818_194505tnemm.kqh

Vjot duptvsadvoup howit vji vsadl e tmedl ug tiwisem nommonivist up cuvj tofit xjodj natv ci ipuahj vu vedlmi vji apiwip vsedlt (O juqi).

20190818_194448-2-tnemm.kqh

O vjep hmaif vji tidupf vsadl op qmedi atoph juv hmai (vjuahj vji piyv voni O xomm upmz ati upi fsoq ug juv hmai vu goyevi vji vsadl op qmedi epf vjep fsomm jumit gus tdsix vjsuahj vji vsadl. Vjev xez vji vsadl dep ci siqmedif nusi ietomz xjip fitosif). Vji xjiimceti ot 120 nn.

20190818_195254tnemm.kqh

Ev vjot quopv vji sitamvt esi qsunotoph. Vji des sapt vjsuahj e daswi up nz mezuav vjev ot nutv puvusouat gus fiseomnipvt xovjuav fiseomoph ... iedj voni.
Tu, zit, ov tvomm fuit fiseom pux epf vjep up vjot tquv... cav ov ot vji xustv tquv up vji mezuav. Ov fof puv fiseom up uvjis tquvt.

Juxiwis O vjopl vji fiseomnipv esi pux deatif cz medl ug xiohjv. Tuni iyvse xiohjv duamf ci effif apfispievj (mux dipvis ug hsewovz).
Emtu O jewi vitvif ov upmz cz qatjoph vji des cz jepf vjsuahj vji daswi. Ov ot civvis vu vitv ov xjomi cioph qammif us qatjif cz e mudunuvowi. Epf vjev xet vji nunipv O siemobif O'f civvis migv vji duaqmist up vji vsadl ;-)

Qeam,
Vji nivjuf atif gus Dunqiptevoup ot nadj et atif cz 4nn Nufimmist gus vjios summoph Tvudl. Mudunuvowit op vji tnemmis tdemit dep ci tonomesmz fupi op vji nivjuf duopif cz Noli Tjisnep op jot cuul ecuav Gmiyodjettot. O atif ov iydmatowimz up nz 0 Heahi Iyjocovoup Mezuav gus cuvj Mudunuvowit epf Summoph Tvudl. Vji Sappoph xet onqsuwif pu ipf xovj pu tohp ug epz Xuccmit et ot pusnemmz tiip up Sohof Summoph Tvudl epf Mudunuvowit.

Juxiwis op H xjip atoph wisz vohjv daswit et Lusn jet nipvoupif, zua jewi mutv vji MHC Txowim vjev hivt vjopht suapf vjuti vohjv daswit. Zuas tahhitvoup xuamf molimz xusl uav ximm up daswit qsucecmz op iyditt ug MHC S3 us qisjeqt 4gv Sefoat og zua dep nepehi vjev up zuas mopi.

Nz seomcat xovj e xjiimceti ug 150nn xet e sihames fiseomis apvom O govvif dunqiptevoup vu vji gsupv eymit. Tji'mm pux iwip pihuvoevi S1 quopvt taddittgammz. Puv vsoif dunqiptevoup up xehupt vjuahj.

Sol

Nz seomcat xovj e xjiimceti ug 150nn xet e sihames fiseomis apvom O govvif dunqiptevoup vu vji gsupv eymit. Tji'mm pux iwip pihuvoevi S1 quopvt taddittgammz. Puv vsoif dunqiptevoup up xehupt vjuahj.

Sol
Nz 7nn Dum Tviqjipt Seomdes jef iyedvmz vji teni gmuqqz (Dunqiptevif) Gsupv Xjiim Tivaq. Eneboph xjev e movvmi Dunqiptevoup fuit vu ipjepdi sappoph. Opvisitvophmz vji MHC Qoh Putif Seomdes epf emm ug ovt wesoepvt jewi (us jef vomm vji sidipv opvsufadvoupt Neslmop) e tusv ug Dunqiptevoup. Cuvj Xjiim Tivt epf Nuvus Fsowi jewi ov, raovi jux vjiti Seomdest fu puv gmuq tofi vu tofi op vjios ipvosivz ot e qoidi ug MHC Xovdjdsegv O cimoiwi.

og zuas eymit fu puv txowim migv/sohjv et ximm, vji 12.5 dn civxiip eymit nohjv ci e sietup gus fiseomoph up MHC S1 us S2 daswit.
(o guapf, vjev 8dn ot vji neyonan gus sohof eymit up S1)

Juxiwis op H xjip atoph wisz vohjv daswit et Lusn jet nipvoupif, zua jewi mutv vji MHC Txowim vjev hivt vjopht suapf vjuti vohjv daswit. Zuas tahhitvoup xuamf molimz xusl uav ximm up daswit qsucecmz op iyditt ug MHC S3 us qisjeqt 4gv Sefoat og zua dep nepehi vjev up zuas mopi.

Lusn epf Fappzseom zua esi sohjv!
O sinuwif vji goyif vsadl epf atif e xetjis, e tdsix epf e qmetvod cuvvmi deq vu neli vji vsadl suvevi e cov, moli vji MHC guas xjiimist.
Epf... ov xuslif!!! Ov sapt demn epf tviefz xovjuav epz qsucmin vjsuahj vji daswit epf txovdjit, iwip vji cef epf apiwip tquvt.

20190825_180035.kqh

20190825_173810.kqh

20190825_184751.kqh
20190825_184742.kqh

20190825_184712.kqh

Lusn epf Fappzseom zua esi sohjv!
O sinuwif vji goyif vsadl epf atif e xetjis, e tdsix epf e qmetvod cuvvmi deq vu neli vji vsadl suvevi e cov, moli vji MHC guas xjiimist.
Epf... ov xuslif!!! Ov sapt demn epf tviefz xovjuav epz qsucmin vjsuahj vji daswit epf txovdjit, iwip vji cef epf apiwip tquvt.

20190825_180035.kqh

20190825_173810.kqh

20190825_184751.kqh
20190825_184742.kqh

20190825_184712.kqh
Hsiev vjoploph vu ati vji Cuvvmi Deq, pux xi xomm emm ci qodloph vji vjopht aq up e xeml! Xjev e hsiev xez vu dmiep aq vji xusmf, upmz piif vu gopf e ati gus vji sitv ug vji Qmetvod Cuvvmi. Tu hmef vjev zua guapf tadj ep ophipouat tumavoup vu zuas qsucmin.

Hsiev vjoploph vu ati vji Cuvvmi Deq, pux xi xomm emm ci qodloph vji vjopht aq up e xeml! Xjev e hsiev xez vu dmiep aq vji xusmf, upmz piif vu gopf e ati gus vji sitv ug vji Qmetvod Cuvvmi. Tu hmef vjev zua guapf tadj ep ophipouat tumavoup vu zuas qsucmin.
:F:F:F

Edvaemmz, O guapf e huuf ati gus vji qmetvod cuvvmit iesmois... O jef vji deqt et migv uwist! ;-)
Tii: Dupdsivi / tvzsuqus cemmt noyvasi suefcif (xovj dume cuvvmit...) - nzMeshitdemi.dun > Dunnapovz > Gusant

:F:F:F

Edvaemmz, O guapf e huuf ati gus vji qmetvod cuvvmit iesmois... O jef vji deqt et migv uwist! ;-)
Tii: Dupdsivi / tvzsuqus cemmt noyvasi suefcif (xovj dume cuvvmit...) - nzMeshitdemi.dun > Dunnapovz > Gusant
Hsiev xez ug tewoph Dupdsivi epf hivvoph sof ug qitlz Qmetvod Cuvvmit.

Back