Brockhampton & Umbridge Railway

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recently visited my mate down in S. Wales to visit and video his railway - which by coincidence is featured in this month's Railway Modeller. I appreciate it's 32mm gauge, but thought you might be interested as it's a masterpiece of scratchbuilding both in terms of stock and infrastructure.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Rik

A superb video of an amazing inspirational railway, second only to your own of course, thank you..

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Would that be PB's line, by any chance, Rik?

If so, I must ask him about that crane-tank loco.. :envy::inlove::inlove:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That really is amazing, Rik - loved so many bits of it, from the works train with the crane loco to the back-to-back 2CVs..... amazing modelling, and I can even forgive it being the "wrong" gauge..... ;)

Jon.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting collection of Locomotives and Stock very few of which were mentioned or seen in the RM Article. Your Vid has added great value to our information of the line. My personal favourites were the Steam Tram and Trailer plus the 2CV’s doing a Col Stephens Railcar impersonation. Great stuff. So it is 32mm, I like to think us Garden Railway types can appreciate any Garden Railway.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As an aside, I never understood the FR's 1:1 logic of marshalling the little bugboxes in front of the larger bogie stock - somehow you always wonder how the bugboxes stay on the rails :think::think::think:

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I recently visited my mate down in S. Wales to visit and video his railway - which by coincidence is featured in this month's Railway Modeller. I appreciate it's 32mm gauge, but thought you might be interested as it's a masterpiece of scratchbuilding both in terms of stock and infrastructure.

Rik
very nice well worth the viewing time

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely video, thank you for that. Excellent use of borrowed scenery.

So many narrow gauge Welsh model railways appear to have a station called Llareggub. The first time I saw it was back in the early 1960s in a Railway Modeller feature. My father explained the significance.

Paul

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think so, you both get a mention in RM
Yes. Very kind of Peter to give me an honourable mention. He was actually my first ever RC Trains customer which is why the reverse switch on his Tx22 is below the speed knob. I changed the design after I'd constructed the first half dozen as the newer layout was easier to solder-up.
Rik

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely video, thank you for that. Excellent use of borrowed scenery.

So many narrow gauge Welsh model railways appear to have a station called Llareggub. The first time I saw it was back in the early 1960s in a Railway Modeller feature. My father explained the significance.

Paul
So for us guys on the other side of the pond what is it?

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
A literary reference. It's the name of the fictional village in Dylan Thomas's 'Under Milk Wood'. A made up name with a vaguely Welsh feel to it that you should read back to front. Thomas's little joke.

Paul

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

It was the village name used as the setting for 'Under Milk Wood' by the Welsh writer Dylan Thomas. It was his sense of humour that on the face of it Llareggub was a typical unpronounceable Welsh place name, when it fact it is Bugger All spelled backwards,

David

Oops someone beat me to it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I can remember years ago, when I was an impressionable teenager, an 009 layout featured in RM, that was effectively a figure of 8 in 'over under' style with small 4w rolling stock - again, affectionately entitled Llaregub :nod: :nod:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I can remember years ago, when I was an impressionable teenager, an 009 layout featured in RM, that was effectively a figure of 8 in 'over under' style with small 4w rolling stock - again, affectionately entitled Llaregub :nod: :nod:
That was probably the one I was referring to in my post. Loved that little layout at the time.

Paul

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Superb video of an outstanding railway. Lots of detail, an interesting selection of locos and rolling stock and an interesting configuration of a level crossing.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I saw one at the old Methodist Hall exhibition in London. I too loved it. The buildings were just how I think of Welsh villages. Was it part of a set of 3 modules? I seem to think it had 3 distinct sections, the village, countryside and industrial,.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
thanks for the clarification
The book (or, rather, the play) is a great read too. Originally written as a radio play and is actually not quite complete.