British Rear Lamp Positions

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I understand the front lamp positions on British Steam Locos pre B.R. and what the lamp positions meant and their color, white in General. but I have a question on rear lamp positions, I know they were on the last wagon, so as the train passed a signal box if there was no red lamp the signalman knew there could have been a un-coupling and a lost piece of rolling stock in that section ?.

If I fit a red light to the rear of a Loco itself was there any conventions for their placement, like the front lamps ? or was it just stuck on the nearest bracket :) This ignores the Loco running in reverse as it would then be a white Lamp / Lamps , following the position rules. I want to hard wire a red lamp to the rear of my Stainz bash and just trying to decide where to put it. I know about rule eight :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would mount it either centrally. - Covers all situations..
OR,
To the 'off-side'.. ie. nearest to the 'six-foot'..

But that is just me.. :)

There again, just how many Stainz were/are running on the 'British' main-line? :p;)

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
You can fit it anywhere there is a lamp bracket.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would mount it either centrally. - Covers all situations..
OR,
To the 'off-side'.. ie. nearest to the 'six-foot'..

But that is just me.. :)

There again, just how many Stainz were/are running on the 'British' main-line? :p;)

Its a Stainz bash it no longer looks anything like a Stainz it's now very British :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I understand the front lamp positions on British Steam Locos pre B.R. and what the lamp positions meant and their color, white in General. but I have a question on rear lamp positions, I know they were on the last wagon, so as the train passed a signal box if there was no red lamp the signalman knew there could have been a un-coupling and a lost piece of rolling stock in that section ?.

If I fit a red light to the rear of a Loco itself was there any conventions for their placement, like the front lamps ? or was it just stuck on the nearest bracket :) This ignores the Loco running in reverse as it would then be a white Lamp / Lamps , following the position rules. I want to hard wire a red lamp to the rear of my Stainz bash and just trying to decide where to put it. I know about rule eight :)
Just reviewed a couple of vids on this. Would appear that near side IE Left facing direction of travel is the norm logical I guess as that would be the safest access in the majority of cases with a double track line.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I think it rather depends on what sort of railway you are trying to depict. Standard gauge and the big narrow gauge railways certainly have their rules on where tail lamps are fitted. On most small narrow gauge railways the use and positioning of tail lamps was or is a matter of local custom. A few railways didn’t even see the need for tail lamps.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for reply's , I sort have gone down the Standard gauge looking route now with my railway so was curious what the rules was for rear lights , I found lots of information about the front light positions and what they told a signal man as the train approached, interesting what you can learn on the internet :) but couldn't find anything about rear lamp placements so was curious before I drill holes in the cab body to get wires to a lamp :)

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for reply's , I sort have gone down the Standard gauge looking route now with my railway so was curious what the rules was for rear lights , I found lots of information about the front light positions and what they told a signal man as the train approached, interesting what you can learn on the internet :) but couldn't find anything about rear lamp placements so was curious before I drill holes in the cab body to get wires to a lamp :)
During my days working for BR the tail lamp was placed on the rear right hand side of the last vehicle. This applied to coaches and vans, Guardvans had specific rules for placement of lamps.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
During my days working for BR the tail lamp was placed on the rear right hand side of the last vehicle. This applied to coaches and vans, Guardvans had specific rules for placement of lamps.
Sorry to be pedantic Paul but looking what way And what Region? See my notes on post #5. Though the examples that I referred to were in the West Somerset Railway former GWR. We know that they did do things differently!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think I have seen a red light on a locomotive, I assume they must have been used, especially for push-pull working and light engine movements

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to be pedantic Paul but looking what way And what Region? See my notes on post #5. Though the examples that I referred to were in the West Somerset Railway former GWR. We know that they did do things differently!
Jon, London, Midland Region. If you were stood at the rear of the train facing towards the locomotive, the lamp would be positioned on the Lamp bracket bottom right of the last vehicle. However I note that at Leicester London Road Station, guards and shunters would place the rear lamp on the bracket nearest to the platform.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, London, Midland Region. If you were stood at the rear of the train facing towards the locomotive, the lamp would be positioned on the Lamp bracket bottom right of the last vehicle. However I note that at Leicester London Road Station, guards and shunters would place the rear lamp on the bracket nearest to the platform.
Interesting Paul, looks like anything goes! Though I bet there was a rule somewhere, working on the Railway I am sure that you would have come across them (not necessarily re Tail Lamps). I was glad to see the back if them even though not fully passed out for Rules and Regs.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting Paul, looks like anything goes! Though I bet there was a rule somewhere, working on the Railway I am sure that you would have come across them (not necessarily re Tail Lamps). I was glad to see the back if them even though not fully passed out for Rules and Regs.
From observations of operations at the GCR all passenger trains have the tail lamp on the right hand bracket of the rear coach.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
From observations of operations at the GCR all passenger trains have the tail lamp on the right hand bracket of the rear coach.
On loose coupled/non fitted freights there would often be lamps on the sides of brake vans
I think white forward / red to the rear
Not absolutely sure on the white
The reason for them was so that loco crews could look back to ensure the train hadn’t divided
Snapped couplings were a big risk in starting or taking up the tension on particularly heavily loaded loose couple freights
I think there were particular rules too on four track running lines on which sides/both ? Were lamped
Light engines would have a red tail lamp, I think side/centre was a matter of ease for the fireman
Station pilots at big terminals usually had four lamps a red and white on each buffer beam
In black and white photos this is often confused for express passenger positioning but clearly wasn’t seen as such in reality

dave snape

Registered
21 Dec 2014
west midlands
Best answers
Country flag
an unfitted goods train would carry 3 lamps on the guards van,1 on each side of van ,& 1 in middle , all showing red lights. if the train was put in a loop the right hand tail lamp would be changed to white.any train passing it would know that it was not on the main line.