More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H2]HI[/H2] i have seen the ebay selling it....it look gud.
it can make into truss bridges or either girder bridges.

i was looking for tht last yr and cudnt find it on websites,now u paste this link here....thks.tht is brillant idea to make it coz i was kitbashing a truss bridges out OF carpet grippers tht i brought from my local wilkos...but this plastic is last up to yrs!!!!!!!

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
First of all: i dont want to bother someone, but:

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.....
Those stripes have just some "here-or-there-or-somewhere" holes...doesnt look good, i think.

So, using some arrogance, i confess, i say: u can build a board for trains of them, but not a bridge.
Using aluminium-profiles is not MUCH more expensive and gives better results..in MY eyes....

But for sure..the alu-thing needs much more work to do!

Using those stripes needs carefull handling!!! often they have sharp edges on the stampings!!!!!

Frank

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H3]hi[/H3] so u mean this plastic beads have sharp edges when u are doing it?
mmmm....i can use it but need filed it off to stop sharp edges.

so wood are fine...plastic are fine,,,,,metal are good

do u have bridges tht made out of metals?

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
The aluminum beading certainly has sharp edges and needs to be handled with care but with a coat of paint I think it has possibilities for an inexpensive method of building bridges. The only reservation I have about the plastic is strength, but then most model bridges rely on the base-board to carry the weight so the rest is cosmetic.

Ade

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Someone posted a thread recently showing how they'd used galvanised bead + bolts to make a realistic truss bridge.
Yes the corners can be sharp if they are not beburred.
A couple of us have used UPVC trim to make truss bridges as well.
Screwfix sell http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A332899/Ironmongery/Brackets/Aluminium-Angle < Link To aluminium angle.
Here's a 1.8m upvc bridge of mine -
98CFECFD29264FFDB078A79585FBD33D.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Aluminium sections are often available on ebay - offcuts from greenhouse manufacture

Unequal angle and flat bar, assembled with stainless self tappers and a couple of nuts and bolts - about £45 in all :D:D

For a different a view, check my avatar :clap:

6b7becac44e54f51bfa456e5944f9184.jpg

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Nice bridge Westcott :clap: - but if your on a tight budget the plasterers beading would cost 4 times less to use than the aluminium angle - even at B&Q prices :D

Ade

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ade,
There is an alternative to angle bead - Gyproc's Dry Walling angle bead which is about 1" x 1". and it has a dimpled surface.
Screwfix (either by Mail order or your nearest store) do packs of five aluminium angle from 12mm upwards, Each length is 1200mm giving six metres in all. Certainly a lot cheaper than the DIY Sheds.
Mick

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
trammayo said:
Hi Ade,
There is an alternative to angle bead - Gyproc's Dry Walling angle bead which is about 1" x 1". and it has a dimpled surface.
Screwfix (either by Mail order or your nearest store) do packs of five aluminium angle from 12mm upwards, Each length is 1200mm giving six metres in all. Certainly a lot cheaper than the DIY Sheds.
Mick

Cheers Mick, I'll take a look. I've got to build several bridges in the coming months - I might experiment a little. Watch this space 8D

Ade

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Hi steven,

NO, plastic doesnt have sharp edges, for sure. :nerd:
But i know that those plastic-stripes are some kind of weak and i wouldnt prefer them...thats all. :thumbdown:

I just wanted to tell that the metal ones are (maybe) sharp. :Looser:

and the pics show (to ME...its MY opinion, thats ALL i want to say) taht there is a well shaped bridge (i mean the silver one in the foreground, too) but the whole impression is killed by those strange shaped metalstripes. :brokeheart:

MY opinion, nothing else! :nerd:

I have bridges made of metal, for sure, because i SELL them....LOL :happy:

Frank

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
coyote97 said:
...But i know that those plastic-stripes are some kind of weak and i wouldn't prefer them...
Hej Frank,

Yes, the upvc bridges are of course much weaker than proper German-built metal ones.
However, I load-tested mine to 20Kg with minimal deflection, did not want to do full destruction testing!
Ready if double-headed Kxxs ever run on them.
coyote97 said:
...I mean the silver one in the foreground, too...

Is that Rhinochugger's aluminium one, or the overexposed end of mine?

Hamish

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Hi Hamish,

lets hold the ball on the ground.....
...yes, i meant yours.
Rhinos profiles are a bit broad i think. The impression would have been better with smaller ones.

But at yours, for ME...(please note! ME, its just my opinion, i dont want to bother!) the broad profiles on the painted bow-truss bridge looks better than the unpainted square-hole-stamped in the foreground.
While i think the construction and basic buildingplan is VERY o.k.!!

It has nothing to do with "German-built" (eh, lets stay friends!).
its a question of philosophy and likes or dislikes to use metal, wood or plastics in the garden-RR-ing.

Everyone has to have his own values. Values are growing up with characters....i know many people who always are able to find practical solutions: fast, functoning and often enough much cheaper than that what i do.

I tend to make a plan before going on the toilett. I grew up with values of stability, authenticism and "better do it one time right".

So, once more, dont get me wrong, please (for more that i ALWAYS tumble with finding the right words):
I dont want to say that those bridge is bad.
I just saw that the use of other material would have given a (in my eyes) much better performance.

So, because this is a thread "bridge building material", i just wanted to say that ME, i would not like to have the wall-profiles for building a bridge. And i wanted to warn about the metal ones for beeing sharp.

Ashes over my head!
Just told about opinions!

Sorry, im used to have an open critical discussion. Me, i am used to stand in the critics line...its my job.

Greetings

Frank

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
adeshers said:
Has anyone used plasterers galvanised beading for building bridges?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1265748007673&isSearch=true < Link To http://www.diy.com/diy/js...7673&isSearch=true

It looks as though it might go together like Dexion shelving using pop rivets to hold it all in place.

Ade

Yes, I have used them to build Forth Bridge type structures to go across the whole of my garden in an 'aerial track' almost completed.
The structures are all attached by pop rivetting as it allows easy replacement or adjustment ( by drilling out the rivet and replacing)

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
jetomlin said:
Yes, I have used them to build Forth Bridge type structures to go across the whole of my garden in an 'aerial track' almost completed.
The structures are all attached by pop rivetting as it allows easy replacement or adjustment ( by drilling out the rivet and replacing)

Looks great from a distance (10 foot rule and all that).

Any chance of some close ups - I promise I won't 'steal' your ideas :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ade

coyote97

9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
jetomlin said:
adeshers said:
Has anyone used plasterers galvanised beading for building bridges?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1265748007673&isSearch=true < Link To http://www.diy.com/diy/js...7673&isSearch=true

It looks as though it might go together like Dexion shelving using pop rivets to hold it all in place.

Ade

Yes, details would be fine...the pic comes a bit unsharp (and sure due to the distance) so its difficult to see details.

Frank

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
No worry about ideas as I took mine from a nother Gscaler who did something similar in plastic tubing.
Hope these pcs are OK; I have plenty more.
The longer bridge was in Al angle, the shorter bridge which was much simpler was in Plasters' angle!

jetomlin

24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
jetomlin said:
No worry about ideas as I took mine from a nother Gscaler who did something similar in plastic tubing.
Hope these pcs are OK; I have plenty more.
The longer bridge was in Al angle, the shorter bridge which was much simpler was in Plasters' angle!

It looks as if all the photos did not up load, I'll try again
baaf0d47e38d4572af79fdb1525896bd.jpg

I'll have to further resize as the phots are too large!!