Bother, I seem to have bought another 3D printer...

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Printing at an angle prevents warping of flat surfaces due to large volume changes in the amount of resin cured in one go. If you go from the support structure to a flat surface, the outside edges are likely to warp or not be printed correctly.
Nothing to do with that empty can then?:giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent explanation, thank you. :)

PhilP

Reactions: 1 user

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing to do with that empty can then?:giggle::giggle::giggle:
Much like a toddler with a honey sandwich, the resin from the printer covers everything within a 6' radius. The can was probably stuck to me...

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
After my first successes, I've had a go at a little 009 shell. I've printed this a few times on my FDM printer and never been that happy with the finish. This one however is a lot better! Pretty much ready to paint out of the curing bin.

009 body shell.jpg

And I wanted some people, so here's Marty Mcfly, boarding the tram... Dr Brown is about 4 hours behind him, still in the printer...

Marty on tram.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
And I wanted some people, so here's Marty Mcfly, boarding the tram... Dr Brown is about 4 hours behind him, still in the printer...
You should have installed a Flux Capacitor power - buffer!

• Haha

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday was a good day and I got quite a lot printed. Following on from my current Tram theme, I'm building an LNER J70 (Toby to those of a certain age) and I found a nice design on Thingiverse.

The body is printed on the FDM printer in white ABS while the buffer beam cowcatcher and detail parts are courtesy of the resin. The design comes with a printable set of wheels and axles with gearbox, but I think that I will go with a more robust steel chassis.

Rick and Morty were for my daughter. She's just started to paint them, so more pics once she's done!

1609678392011.png

Reactions: 1 users

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm very pleased to welcome a new member to the team.

This is Natalie and she was only too pleased to squeeze into some overalls and join the lads out on the track. They all assured her that they don't make her bum look big and that she's bringing some fantastic assets to the team...

1609702839824.png

Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice! - Quality of the print, obviously.
:blush:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The possibilities are so endless, it's hard to keep abreast of them all

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I do like the tram though

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To avoid bias and ensure balance (probably the only thing Natalie struggles with), I am very pleased to introduce Dave.

Known as "Tender Dave"- less for his gentle interpersonal skills and more for his ability to consume 15 pints and stay upright, Dave is no stranger to the tea bar and has been a much loved member of the local preservation society for many years. Pictured here wearing a jumper dating from 1986, Dave's food tastes and favourite sauces are plain to see...

I now have a good library of people available to print, so if anyone would like some, I'm happy to supply. I'm also looking at a character creator package to build my own, so I should be in a position to take either commissions - or at least suggestions for new characters and poses.

1609858049625.png

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic, I need assesssets like that

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. I've slapped a bit of paint on Dave and he's looking pretty good!

20210105_195107.jpg

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Natalia looks a bit healthier as well now!!
20210105_230653.jpg

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Natalie was very easy to print. I do use a lot of supports, as I am printing in resin and you need to overcome the peeling forces from the bottom of the tank, but Dave was actually harder, due in part to the greater surface area. His "overhangs" - although not quite as well proportioned or positioned as Natalie's are actually larger and there's a hollow under his jumper that caused a few issues.

Both were printed at 45 degrees angle, head down, as this seems to give the best results all round.

Looking at the magnified images, I needed to clean up the prints a little better prior to painting and I am only using artist's acrylics which don't give the smoothest finish. At a normal viewing distance however, they look fine.

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Happy to share the STLs. I must stress I did not design them, only print them!

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I know you are all probably getting a little bored with these figures now, so just one more to share for the time being.

This is Amy. What is different about her I hear you ask? Well, she was designed and rendered entirely digitally and not from a 3D scan as Dave and Natalia were. I've used Real Illusion and tried to create something a little less cartoonesque than the software likes to by default. Poses and clothing can all be added and selected and the final result exported as an Obj file ready for printing. This gives some excellent scope for custom figures and avoids needing to find real people willing to be scanned in their bikinis... (Not that that wouldn't have been more fun!)

1610020320514.png