Blocking with Current-sensing Train Detection

JamesS

Registered
7 Apr 2018
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm looking into use of the Massoth Train Detection Modules with a new layout and considering my options. Initially I want to make sure that I install sufficient cabling or conduits for future implementation but ultimately use the modules to influence signalling for a degree of operational autonomy.

I'm interested to hear if it's something you're using, your successes or otherwise with it and how extensively you've implemented detection around your layout...

Reading the manual, it's not obvious about how to connect multiple units in layouts - Can the sensing sections abut each other for proper blocking or do they need to be separated by short non-sensed sections for lines with heavier traffic? Or, are they better used for just sensing key locations like platform occupancy?

JamesS

Registered
7 Apr 2018
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Outside

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Do you have a rough diagram of your empire that yourn trying to build.
This will help the members with there ideas..
Sorry I do not have any solutions .... But ... but these would be the questions asked.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I haven't used Massoth current detection modules but I have used other vendor modules on various of my indoor and outdoor layouts, for signalling and point setting and controlling trains. I use Lenz command station and LDT current detection modules which feedback to some software called Rocrail. I don't know how much you can do with Massoth modules without software as well. If you just want signalling you can probably use one detection output per block, if you want to control trains you may need one detector for entry and another for exit per block.

JamesS

Registered
7 Apr 2018
UK
Best answers
Country flag
@Sean, A rough sketch of the intention attached although scale may be off and the detection wiring may influence some adjustments.

idlemarvel idlemarvel , Thanks. And agree, will need to implement one of the software options - another decision needed!

Attachments

• Garden Layout Option.JPG
    Garden Layout Option.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's some size of layout. You're going to need a lot of wire to install one or more detectors in all those potential block sections, thick wire at that as it has to carry the track current if you use current detection. But at least that solves the problem of voltage drop through bad track connections. :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would think a better design just route sensor wires back, not all power lines, like the NCE BD20, then no froced increasing runs of high current wire, and the sensor wires can be light gauge.

Greg