Blackening Brass

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I did do a search on this and could not find it mentioned..... Soooooo anyone have any good methods of blackening brass without painting it? I have made some trolley poles and they are bright and shiny and would look better more an oxide colour....

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

In addition to the ones Ross has mentioned there are the 'gun blacks' which are generally a very dark brown!

All of them need the brass to be clean - they need the inevitable oxides cleaned off the surface with emery paper, they they work fast and follow the instructions and treat the obnoxious, and dangerous stuff with care.

I usually use a 'cotton bud' to put it on, its easier than a brush.

Varnish it after to keep the finish.

Yours Peter.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
sulfur.
mix some yellow stones or powder with water and wet your brass.
when you think, it reached the right colour, wash it off with water.

edit: and what the ... is a maggy lamp?
Australian vernacular short for magnifying lamp viz: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3544&keywords=magnifying&form=KEYWORD
an absolutley essential bit of kit for the aged modeller....

Once again Ross seems to have done the trick with Google... he must have a different Google to me, when I entered how to blacken brass I got 1000's of responses none of them relevant...
This one though Ross was the true find; http://www.modelshipwrightsdatabase.com/Articles/MetalBlackening.pdf its comprehensive and practical, I'll try the vinegar and ammonia trick as I have some and a plastic bucket as well....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just take it off and leave it out in the Garden for the Winter. Job done NO COST.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
May be too many words Trev. By typing 'How to' you will get answers for those bits as well as 'blacken brass'.