Bimodal loco conversion

Neil Holiday

Registered
20 Jul 2018
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
is it possible to have a bimodal loco conversion, so that it can run independently on track and battery power?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
is it possible to have a bimodal loco conversion, so that it can run independently on track and battery power?

Yes..
At its' most simple, a DPDT switch connects EITHER the track pickups, OR the battery supply, into the rest of the electronics in the loco.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
There was an article in the US Model Railway Magazine that just showed such a conversion in HO, but the teck involved is not readily available in the UK so Phils option mentoned above is the best we can do so far. I did list it all some time back in one of the Battery Forums, just don't ask me to find it now!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon (Zerogee) has done a couple :nod::nod::nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yep easy to do, just choose the loco carefully as squeezing in the battery and wiring can be a challenge,

I have a lgb USA shorty loco with a battery and manual speed controller in the tender, and a dpdt switch in the loco to choose track or battery power

Dan

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My recent Aristo and Fosworks DCC Battery Forums show the setup used to Test out both systems. The DPDT to change between Battery and Track is located in an old Film Canister in the pics.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

What is the reasoning behind doing that?

If you have insulated the wheels and remove any pickups then you should be able to just run on battery regardless of what potential is across the rails.

I am at a loss as to why this is done is there a logical explanation that I am missing?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

If you have insulated the wheels and remove any pickups then you should be able to just run on battery regardless of what potential is across the rails.

I am at a loss as to why this is done is there a logical explanation that I am missing?

Well, in my case the reasoning was simple - I wanted to have a battery loco that I could take to run when visiting lines that had dead rails, but also to retain the ability to run it on track powered DCC (or DC for that matter) at home, or visiting lines that had track power. While I removed the skates from both converted locos, I left all the wheel pickups in place, they are simply connected through the DPDT track/battery selector switch.
Sometimes I simply want to be able to drive the locos on my regular Massoth DCC control system rather than having to use a separate radio handset.

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

With my testing rigs I wanted to be able to check out the Sounds on Track and then switch to Battery Only to compare Functions. It convinced me that I will leave the option of Track Pickups for pretty well the same reason that Jon has. But it also allows access to reprogramming of the Chip if required, though this can be done via the Aristo DCC Battery Kit it cannot be with the Fosworks Battery kit. Though being used to Massoth reprogramming (well some of it anyway) it made sense to leave this option rather than faffing to learn a new system. Not enough Ram in me bonce you see!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, in my case the reasoning was simple - I wanted to have a battery loco that I could take to run when visiting lines that had dead rails, but also to retain the ability to run it on track powered DCC (or DC for that matter) at home, or visiting lines that had track power. While I removed the skates from both converted locos, I left all the wheel pickups in place, they are simply connected through the DPDT track/battery selector switch.
Sometimes I simply want to be able to drive the locos on my regular Massoth DCC control system rather than having to use a separate radio handset.

Jon.
I think it's easier to have two locos :devil::devil::devil::devil:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
But certainly more expensive, without going down the Battery/Track powered discussion again I think it logical to provide for both if that is ones wish.
PEDANTIC MODE OFF
HUMOUR MODE BACK ON

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

I realise that was (mostly?) a joke, hence the emojis..... but being serious, it was a case of the difference being one DPDT switch that cost about 60p.... so why NOT have the option of either power source?

As JonD said, the track/battery debate is getting about as contentious and polarising as politics and religion, so let's keep off it if we can.
I don't know, maybe using both on one loco labels me a "heretic" to the True Believers on BOTH sides of the argument......?

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I realise that was (mostly?) a joke, hence the emojis..... but being serious, it was a case of the difference being one DPDT switch that cost about 60p.... so why NOT have the option of either power source?

As JonD said, the track/battery debate is getting about as contentious and polarising as politics and religion, so let's keep off it if we can.
I don't know, maybe using both on one loco labels me a "heretic" to the True Believers on BOTH sides of the argument......?

Jon.
Yes, slightly facetious, but I'm not into the argument - I do both, track and battery - to suit my mood :cool::cool::cool::cool:

How you get there - well, there's 101 ways of killing a cat :p

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, slightly facetious, but I'm not into the argument - I do both, track and battery - to suit my mood :cool::cool::cool::cool:

How you get there - well, there's 101 ways of killing a cat :p

Absolutely! There is room in the hobby for all methods of propelling your locos (and indeed several combinations of such, as we've been discussing here), depending on personal preference, circumstances and needs.... and long may it stay like that!

Jon.

Wistow vale rlwy

Registered
20 Feb 2010
WISTOW NORTH YORKSHIRE
Best answers
Country flag
I converted a Bachmann TTT engine to switchable battery power, using Peter Spoerer's radio control and sound, with a jack-socket for onboard charging of the batteries - so all granny has to do is put it on charge after use. I also fitted a Seuthe smoke unit with a toggle switch in the cab to turn it off when the smoke oil has run out. My reason was mainly so that my granddaughters can use the railway while I am overseas working, without the risk of damage to my DCC controller, shock, etc. When I am home it is a simple flick of 2 toggle switches underneath and it's ready for DCC operation (yes, l fitted a decoder as well!)
I also did the conversion because . . . . I wanted to! It was a good wintertime project.
I would post pics of the conversion, but I am away again in the coal mine in Utah, and pics are on my pc back home.
Regards, WVRlwy.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Had to think about that one for a minute, Greg - I do know what you mean by a marquee (and we do use it as such), but on this side of the pond the word is more commonly used to mean a big tent..... ;):rofl::rofl:

Joking aside, my two conversions ARE actually tri-mode - because when switched to track power they will happily run on either DC or DCC.... :D

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely! There is room in the hobby for all methods of propelling your locos (and indeed several combinations of such, as we've been discussing here), depending on personal preference, circumstances and needs.... and long may it stay like that!

Jon.
I think I still had in mind one of the earlier comments about availability of space in a loco for all of the R/C gizzmos - some (locos) have got it, some ain't. But then again, there are trailer (wagon) options so, as you say it depends on personal preference, circumstances and needs...

At the moment, I'm an either / or man, but that's through accident rather than planning - I'm coming round to the way of thinking that if a loco won't behave itself on track power, then it gets the battery conversion - even without going the Li-po or Li-on route, modern battery packs can deliver four hours of playtime >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Now, having said that, we have to go back to an earlier topic about track cleaning, and we need to remember that I am on the most troublesome end of the spectrum (for track cleanliness) being DC and skate-free. My big locos with sprung drivers and tender pick-ups are fine over less than perfick track, but my 10-wheeler (based on an Annie chassis) and my Rogers require perfectly clean track, and so suffer from dew at dusk syndrome - therefore battery plans are being formulated :cool::cool::cool:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
What about quad mode........
DC, DCC, Battery and....... live steam (both coal and gas fired of course) .....
facetious... moi?.......... >:)

But to be fair... I run all four but not on the same loco but I do have two locos that are DC,DCC and Batt.