better smoke on Stainz 20212

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Chris if this is for indoor use ? only use the manufacturers fluids.
Mixed fluid as many of us use is only suitable for out side use, as it gives of an oily air born residue, which some discussions lead one to believe may be quite toxic.

Also over time it builds up and settles on surfaces, this i have seen on the glass of a display window (external to the shop) where a stainz ran regularly with the smoke on.

Because I am limited to indoor running, AND my dear sweet wife thinks that the old LGB smoke fluid has an objectionable odor, I run a reproduction of the American Flyer fluid I used in my youth. It is designed for indoor use and has worked well (for me) in various brands of large scale trains. The only smoke unit I have had fail is on an LGB 24771 Porter. It has no OFF switch for smoke and I run this particular one on analogue. It was quite spectacular when about 5 minutes after she ran out of smoke, a small poof of plastic smelling fire appeared from the stack. This was on the Marklin/LGB smoke fluid sample supplied with the engine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMERICAN-FL...hash=item1a27910dbb:m:mJpmVRCJLLLvseby0qDLykg
This is not an ad, just information.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Hope you get lots of smoke....

IMG_5449.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
While I think that Smoke is nice, just looking at AustrianNG pics over the years prooves this. I never bother as the length of time it lasts compared to running a Timetable that can take 2-3 hours to run through makes it a worthless activity to me. One could I suppose fill up in the Timetable every time that one is expected to take Water on the Engine in the schedule, this would give some added play value. But again I am not sure that many occasions exist to have smoke on the go all the time. So as I said not used by me at all.
JonD

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
. But again I am not sure that many occasions exist to have smoke on the go all the time. So as I said not used by me at all.
JonD

Arguably this is prototypical. With steam locos smoke, as opposed to exhaust steam, is discouraged as, among other reasons, it is evidence of incomplete and therefore inefficient combustion.
Exhaust steam is usually only visible in colder weather conditions and heritage lines tend to offer a limited winter service.

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
18 volt smoke unit yellow and brown wires
5 volt smoke unit white and black wires
24 volt smoke unit white and white wires use for DCC
All smoke units are made by Seuthe

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
18 volt smoke unit yellow and brown wires
5 volt smoke unit white and black wires
24 volt smoke unit white and white wires use for DCC
All smoke units are made by Seuthe

Ah, but do you know the Seuthe model numbers by any chance?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, if you really want to go all-out with fitting smoke to a Stainz, isn't the recently-released Massoth "curved" pulsed smoke unit designed to fit in the boilers of smaller steam locos like the Stainz, the Otto or the Franzburg? This unit also has optional fittings for "cylinder smoke" outlets.....

Has anyone here actually fitted one of these into anything yet?

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I thought you got 'cylinder smoke' from things like my old VW??
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, if you really want to go all-out with fitting smoke to a Stainz, isn't the recently-released Massoth "curved" pulsed smoke unit designed to fit in the boilers of smaller steam locos like the Stainz, the Otto or the Franzburg? This unit also has optional fittings for "cylinder smoke" outlets.....

Has anyone here actually fitted one of these into anything yet?

Jon.

Not an easy install with either unit. I did one once, I won't bother with another.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Not an easy install with either unit. I did one once, I won't bother with another.

Wasn't that a while back, Paul, with one of the original "square" units? Just wondering if anyone has yet tried the new curved one....?

Jon.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
It was a square unit Jon.
It was an awful job to do and compromised the integrity of the loco.
I'll stick with 24 volt units on DCC.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You would have to ditch the weight to get it in...
So it would loose a lot of its' pulling power..??

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, that would be a problem, as there are not too many other places you could stuff with replacement weights.... I wasn't actually planning to do one, just curious as to whether anyone had yet tried using the new curved Massoth unit for its intended purpose, which is to fit into the boilers of smaller locos?

Jon.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, that would be a problem, as there are not too many other places you could stuff with replacement weights.... I wasn't actually planning to do one, just curious as to whether anyone had yet tried using the new curved Massoth unit for its intended purpose, which is to fit into the boilers of smaller locos?

Jon.

When I saw the product, I grimaced...
I am sure someone will be along soon enough wanting one fitted...
Funny lot, these train nuts! ;):giggle::giggle:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers

Forgive my ignorance, but how many boxcars should a "Stainz" style locomotive pull in "normal" use?
How many should I pull with an LGB Mogul?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Lots
.21.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rule 8...

As many as you like!!!

D

Deleted member 1986

Smoke Units.png

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB of old specified 44 axles as the stainz load, but this was with traction tire and lead weights in the old engines. I assume plastic wheels also for this old spec to keep weight down for any grades as most of us do not have perfectly level track and curves will add pulling strain.