Best Value G scale decoders?

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Are you *sure* you only need 1 Amp? - Really need to consider stall-current, not just day-to-day running.. :think:

No I am not sure about how the stall would be managed by an HO decoder (not as well as the G scale I would Hazard) A few of the HO models I have looked at state they have motor "overload" protection although no further description is given.

There are risks in going for a "value" option and I would think this is one of them. My efforts to save a few bob may well end up costing however I measure my efforts in this space by swings and roundabouts.

The way I look at it I could save around $700 going this way for 10 locos. That would pay for another 14 decoders if one or two blow up I am still ahead.

I love an excuse to pull my locos apart.....:D

Last edited:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Good logic Slawman.
Let us know how you get on.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Digtrax DH465 is made for HO and O but it takes up to 4amps and 6amp surges. I use it in Stainz and Playmobile after seeing it in another forum. Works fantastic so far and has all the features you are after with option to add more

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I guess Massoth and Digitrax pricing must be different in the US. Quick check in UK shows Massoth L £50 and Digitrax between £46 and £53. Not sure I’d want to experiment at these prices when I know the Massoth decoder works fine in my Stainzes (is that the correct plural? Doesn’t look right!) and any cost saving is minimal.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Sure, a good point. Stick with what you know, and all I’ve known is digitrax for nscale and now into gscale.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
My guess, is the Digitrax (imported) from the US, may well be a cheaper option than the Massoth (from Germany/EU)??

I use a Digitrax CS on my programming track. - Lower voltage, so 'kinder' to the kit when things are not as they should be..
But have no experience of their decoders..

1to3

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
14 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
I agree most folks on Massoth... If you wanted sound I would say piko /Soundtraxx, which has more goodies in it.
But if you don't want sound the Massoth you are already using and works well.

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Well, as soon as I write about the digitrax...literally not a day later, they blew:cry: Ah, to trust random websites on the interwebs. I’ve ordered the digitrax gscale specific...easier to find here than massoth. What a flub

JeffofSpace

Registered
19 Jul 2018
Seattle
Best answers
Digitrax has a poor reputation for decoders in G scale. They are slow to improve.
Ugh...well will utilize the warranty I suppose. I could’ve waited until you replied, but of course had to just rusho_O

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Most smaller-scale decoders will not tolerate our track-voltage!

The Zimo MX645 HO decoder is a 30 volt rated unit and has lots of features and sells for less than the 55021 or 55027 LGB units.
I use these in all my LGB single motor engines and these have 3 watt audio and can be programmed for auto uncoupling with a servo.
Basic unit comes with 2 diesel selections and 6 steam selections.

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
I went with a few ESU 53611 (LokPilot Standard). No problems so far.....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The Zimo MX645 HO decoder is a 30 volt rated unit and has lots of features and sells for less than the 55021 or 55027 LGB units.
I use these in all my LGB single motor engines and these have 3 watt audio and can be programmed for auto uncoupling with a servo.
What do you mean by 2 diesel and 6 steam - are these not digital recordings of originals?

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,
I want to DCC the rest of my locos (about 10) and I am looking for the best value options for the most basic DCC capability.
(...)
Are there better options to consider?

Just to show you some potential alternatives in €. I don't know whether all brands are easily available in your country...

ca. 40 € Massoth 8154501 eMOTION M (w/o SUSI)

ca. 48 € - I'm pretty happy with UHLENBROCK 77500 - 5 Amps max / SUSI / Pendulum-Automatic build-in etc., and
ca. 43 € UHLENBROCK 77100 - 3 Amps max. / SUSI etc. for my Bachmann-LYN.

ca. 35 € TAMS LD-G-34 incl. some basic sounds (bell / whistle etc.) . TAMS provides also a "Decoder advisor" with more alternatives

as of > 30 € Doehler&Haass - see the Decoder advisor , I think the smallest DCC decoder for 30V is the DH 10C-3

Andreas

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very useful Andreas.
Just to clarify you can have SUSI connection on Massoth M you just need some fine soldering skills to attach plug/socket to the relevant pins on the underside of the decoder. Not saying it is easy nor have I done it. See section 3.5 of the installation manual.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Very useful info, Dan - can you tell me what sort of sounds the pre-programmed selections are? Are they typical generic sound files for small and large locos? Are they Euro or US style sounds, or a mix of both?

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Dan, I've just dropped you a "conversation" about the Zimo decoders - but I will also ask the questions here in case anyone else wants to chip in (no pun intended...), and also because I think any answers may well be useful to other members.....

Working on the above recommendation, I've just received one of these decoders - an MX645 - that I ordered a couple of days ago, so I can give it a try in a single-motor loco (probably in a Stainz for testing purposes).
I've downloaded the English version of Zimo's manual, but it is just one big file for pretty much every decoder that they make - and at first glance it's about as daunting as War and Peace! I've found the basics that I need, like the wiring connection diagram,
but I wondered if anyone could offer any shortcuts to finding things like how to select which of the pre-loaded sound files to use? I can't find a listing of what the sound options are, possibly I haven't looked deeply enough yet.
I don't have one of Zimo's programmers, I will be doing all set-up with my Massoth Dimax system, I really just need to know how to select the different sound files on the decoder.

Anything in plain English, as opposed to "Manual-ese", would be great......

Any help and advice that anyone here can offer based on personal experiences of installing these in G scale locos would be very gratefully received.
Greg? I know you're a big Zimo fan, have you used any of these particular decoders in small locos, or do you stick to the bigger ones?

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, but I have specific sound files loaded, have not played with the "pre-stored" sound files...

645 in this one:

side.jpg

chassis.jpg

645 is under the seat:
back_of_seat.jpg

4 speakers in the underside of the roof:
cj_inside.jpg

The prototype is still operational in Colorado, the name of this railbus is "Casey Jones" - really

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, but I have specific sound files loaded, have not played with the "pre-stored" sound files...

645 in this one:
645 is under the seat:

4 speakers in the underside of the roof:

The prototype is still operational in Colorado, the name of this railbus is "Casey Jones" - really

Nice 'bus, Greg - couple of questions, what is the motor/gearbox unit in it, and any particular reason why you went for a four-speaker setup?

Jon.