Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Good evening to you all.

I did join this site last July on the recommendation of a fellow member of the Train Collector's Society and I note that there are some other members of the TCS here as well. Over the last few years I have very slowly been collecting the odd items of G scale with the idea of starting a garden railway although the garden at our present house does not lend itself easily to that idea being on quite a slope. I will occasionally put down an oval and watch a loco and coach run round but I want more. Not just for that reason but we are now in the process of selling the house and some may say we are being foolish but we have no house to go to yet. Our idea is that we bank the money so when the house that ticks all the boxes comes on the market we can proceed without any hindrance. Last year we missed out on a couple of suitable properties because we couldn't act quick enough. Along with room for my wife's hobbies and garage for the classic car, one of the boxes that has to be ticked is a garden that will allow a reasonable layout to be built.

I have been steadily reading through the various forums and love the links to the many videos people have posted of their own layouts. There was a wonderful one I saw yesterday that was an 8 minute long on board of a single run round a garden that I watched three times trying to work out the layout plan, quite convoluted, it must have gone over or under itself as well as hoping the livestock kept off the tracks. Made me a little jealous!

Despite most of our stuff heading for storage for a while I still seem to be able to gather in the odd bit of G and today picked up some that I had bid on blind at a Norfolk auction. I really should be only acquiring more track as I have a few locos and a reasonable amount of rolling stock but this was a small mixed lot of LGB loco (LGB 2095 OBB Diesel), a coach, a van and some track. It's a nice loco and it ran well around another quick oval I made up but I will have to see if I will be keeping it as it was the track I really wanted.

OK, that's the introduction from me Paul who at present resides in a village in the Norfolk Broads area but is hoping soon to move about 8 miles away to another village in the Norfolk Broads area.

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A belated welcome to the forum, Paul! :)

Good luck with the proposed house move, hope you don't get stuck in limbo between properties for too long.

The 2095 "whizzy cranks" diesels always seem to be in reasonable demand (if sensibly priced) as they are such nice locos - if you do decide to sell it on, try it on the "For Sale" forum here first, you might get a buyer with no nasty fees to pay to evilBay or similar.... Out of interest, which colour scheme is yours in?

Jon.

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the welcome Jon.

From the little research I did I thought that they were all just red. I will use this opportunity to check that posting pix is the same here as on other forums.

I will probably need some guidance for the "sensible price" if I do decide to move it on, that probably has opened the doors to the "I'll take it off your hands for a fiver" posts!

Paul

The 2095 "whizzy cranks" diesels always seem to be in reasonable demand (if sensibly priced) as they are such nice locos - if you do decide to sell it on, try it on the "For Sale" forum here first, you might get a buyer with no nasty fees to pay to evilBay or similar.... Out of interest, which colour scheme is yours in?
Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the welcome Jon.

From the little research I did I thought that they were all just red. I will use this opportunity to check that posting pix is the same here as on other forums.

I will probably need some guidance for the "sensible price" if I do decide to move it on, that probably has opened the doors to the "I'll take it off your hands for a fiver" posts!

Paul

That looks to be quite an early one..... over the years they've come in solid red, cream over red, red with a broad white stripe, and more recently a very deep orange with cream roof. Is the left-hand driver's door in the pic missing, or just stuck open? Price will depend a lot on condition and age, yours looks like an old split (clamshell) gearbox version with the metal crank rods. All other bits and details present and correct?

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
I'll double that, and give you a tenner! ;):rofl::rofl:

No, you keep it.. I have a *RARE* one here, anyway.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Paul from another Paul :)
Glad you enjoyed my 8 minute video.
Don't let a slope put you off. Most of my line is 1:33 with 3 horseshoe bends and a spiral to gain 1.5m + in height
I have a track plan somewhere
You are not alone - a friend has just bought a house in Cornwall - had to have a garden for his railway and space for her crafts. Most of us are mad here

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Paul.

I will be coming up to the broad myself for a boating holiday at the end of next month?

Planning to visit the Model railway Exhibition at Wroxham whilst there....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings Paul, welcome and I suggest that you do not get rid of old Wizzy Cranks till you decide on a theme for your line. My line is East German Harz, but I have a Wizzy that I painted up in Blue and Converted to Battery Power as well. It is for a mythical Line that connected to a friends line, now also my line as I have just completed a set of Hidden Sidings to connect into my Harz Themed line. At least one Wizzy was known to be converted to Metre Gauge so it sort of can be justified.
image.jpeg
None to strady shot seen on a visit to Casey's CFR on the Great Central.
JonD

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul.....
Hope the aristo track you bought from me is fine.

Be worth you going to the Peterboro show next month, plenty to see..and maybe buy!

Malcolm

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Again, thanks for the welcomes. In order:

Jon - The box that the "whizzy cranks" came in certainly looks an earlier not so glossy one. The door is there, I pushed it open a couple of times and it sprung back OK but the third time it stayed open. Haven't tried to pull it back yet. It's back in its box now ready to be stored but I think that one of the windscreen wipers at each end have been broken/shortened. There was a slightly strange thing that I first tested it by placing it upside down and putting power to the wheels and pickups. The motor and wheels turned well and the directional three lights worked at both ends. I made up the oval and using the same power I ran it round in both directions. It went well but the lights didn't work. Retested static upside down and they worked again...puzzling but not a major problem and I will look in to it later.

PhilP - I have thought about your generous offer but until the door is fixed I couldn't possibly sell you a faulty item!!! Seriously, I was rather taken by the loco's action so will most likely be keeping it for a while at least.

Paul - Would like to see the track plan some time, kept seeing the house coming in to view but at different levels and angles, I was intrigued.
There are slopes and slopes. I think our present garden would need a zigzag/switchback layout and although it could be fun I do really like seeing trains just run.

Gizzy - Have fun on your Broads holiday. While we are in between main houses we will be staying at our tiny riverside holiday bungalow near Potter Heigham. Be warned about that model railway, it is expensive and although many find it fascinating there is a good percentage that think it is a bit of a rip off and poorly displayed. A friend did help with some of the building of the main layout, they relied very heavily on volunteer labour but I'm not sure that now they are up and running they have been so kind to their helpers.
Nearby to the model railway is the Bure Valley Railway where you can take an 18 mile round trip on the 15" gauge system. They have a good number of their own locos but have had visiting stock from the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch as well as the Ravenglass & Eskdale.

JonD - As mentioned above I will probably be keeping it but I do not expect a particular theme to develop when the rails finally get laid. I am now well in to my 60s and have never tried to have a particular theme to any of my model railways. There is a video I uploaded to YouTube that shows an N gauge layout I had, my first introduction to Kato track. It's all action with three separate circuits in an English village scene of shops, church and pub with the stations being pure Japanese. That was how I acquired it but I didn't mind as you can see in the video I ran US, Dutch, German, Swiss and Japanese trains at the same time! The purists would probably hate it but I will happily run almost anything and everything together, if I like it I'll run it. I do like my toys and fortunately there are others around who sort of understand my way. Here's a link to another video of mine that shows my cheap Chinese knockoff TCE train running around the superb loose lay layout at the TCS show 2013 - thank you James and Malcolm for allowing it!

Malcolm - Hello there! Not tested the track but I'm sure it is fine. It's a bit chaotic here at the moment, as well having to move out of our house by the end of April I am trying to organise a very large family celebration for my wife's 60th just four days before. If I can get over to Peterborough I will, sounds to be the place to go.

Paul

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Again, thanks for the welcomes. In order:

Gizzy - Have fun on your Broads holiday. While we are in between main houses we will be staying at our tiny riverside holiday bungalow near Potter Heigham. Be warned about that model railway, it is expensive and although many find it fascinating there is a good percentage that think it is a bit of a rip off and poorly displayed. A friend did help with some of the building of the main layout, they relied very heavily on volunteer labour but I'm not sure that now they are up and running they have been so kind to their helpers.
Nearby to the model railway is the Bure Valley Railway where you can take an 18 mile round trip on the 15" gauge system. They have a good number of their own locos but have had visiting stock from the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch as well as the Ravenglass & Eskdale.

Paul
Hullo Paul,

I know the area very well, and I have already visited the Wroxham exhibition and the BVR.

But I have always wanted to try boating on the Broads, hence my short break next month....

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
.................. although the garden at our present house does not lend itself easily to that idea being on quite a slope. ......... now in the process of selling the house and some may say we are being foolish but we have no house to go to yet............

Don't sell that house! - you don't know how lucky you are - having a sloping garden.

It means you can have a meter high table top section at the bottom end for a steaming bay and generally fiddling about - then you can have a ground level, scenic section in the middle - and then a tunnel section at the top end - gives you the best of all worlds .... :)

Oh - and welcome aboard!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say that I second that with Sloping Gardens.
JonD

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say that I second that with Sloping Gardens.
JonD
Me too. Steaming up at waist height is a positive advantage. Make the most of a slope. Gradients make driving more interesting too, IMO

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Too late! The house is sold and we have to be out by the end of next month.

Paul

owlpool

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Look for one with a slope of 1m overall;)

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Too late! The house is sold and we have to be out by the end of next month.

Paul

If you should end up 'between addresses', Mike could offer some temporary accommodation, it would certainly be large enough....

dig 160320011.JPG

David