Beck zillertall/helene locomotive (circ 1980 ish)

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stephen said:
Hi Paul,
did not see the anna on evil bay. Though it does look pretty good in black. Price looked good as well. I think I paid £400 plus for my anna. Back to zzzzzilerThisthingis driving me mad !. As you know I am new to live steam. But this thing seems so close but yet so far away. When I blew out gas jet I done it both ways. Do you think I could have damaged gas jet ?. Whilst I am trying to learn. This loco is my pride and joy. I would prefer to experiment on my Anna. I have spent the last six months and loads of cash sorting coaches for zzzzzilerLooksgreat on the track. Will ring roger at roundhouse tomorrow to see if he can help. On your point of other british suppliers. Could you post some numbers for me. Thanks

Steve
I don't think you could have damaged the jet by blowing through it and besides you had it running fine after the first clean out? so that wouldn't be it, I think it's just plugged again trouble is the orrofice (can I say that?) is so small it don't take an awful lot to do it in! and if the loco was stored for a long time who knows what is in the tank? I would just do the clean out and try again...............
I think we need someone from the UK to post some numbers for you Steve as I get all my steam supplies from over here in the USA!

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
minimans said:
Did you see this on Evil bay??? I was going to bid but got distracted ....................I think I would have won it too................
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160436314545&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

images

I saw this on Ebay also, but the other pictures show the cab possibly crooked and and the hand rails bent. might have some issues.

Steve

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Stephen, Roundhouse is the best bet as they ended up with all the left over parts from the Beck/Merlin buyout call them, they will help if they possibly can, they are stars.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Can you use the Anna one, Stephen?

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stephen said:
Hi Guy's,
well if the gas jet was not broken it is now. Spoke to Roger at Roundhouse this morning. Whilst he could not supply gas jet. He advised me to try ajusting gas jet allignment. Whilst trying to ajust the thing broke in two. Look's like I have an ornament. I will try to find gas jet or loco for spare or repair. (Im gutted).

Thanks again

Steve

What part broke Steve? can you post a picture please?.............Paul..........

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I'm wondering if an Accucraft or Roundhouse style one could be adapted to fit? Would almost certainly have to modify the burner sadly, but better than having an unserviceable engine.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Well I know chuffed 2 bits do a replacement jet holder (and suitable jets- I believe Roundhouse use a standard size one whereas Accucraft's are a bit odd, but don't quote me on that)

http://www.chuffed2bits.com/page32a.html

Nice folks to deal with in my experience.

Of course, you'd still need to modify the burner. It looks like it would probably need opening out a little, but might need a bush instead. You never know, it might even just fit! Either way it should be a reasonably easy job for a competent model engineer with a lathe.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Hi Steve, I can't really tell from the picture but would that be a collar that has come off the jet? I would think that it should be easy enough to repair with a silver solder job? if you don't feel confident enough to try it yourself I'm sure there are people in the UK that somebody could recomend? Matt must know a few!!!!
Or as has been suggested try to modify a roundhouse or accucraft one to fit as at least you will be able to get spare jets for it. Try Mike Ousby at Acme engineering I think it is, as he has the knowledge and skill to do this.
My anna already has the Roundhouse burner fitted so I'm sure it will fit with a jiggle and a joggle....................Paul................

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The gas jet problem appears to me to be simply a case of a fractured copper pipe. Most model engineers should be able to perform a repair, probably by silver soldering a union or elbow at the point of fracture.
Copper pipe is usually quite malleable, maybe it had work hardened by repeated adjustment and may have been cracked which in turn might have caused a small gas leak and be the cause of the initial problem.
In my opinion the worst case scenario would involve obtaining a new burner and matching boiler as the 'firebox' is very much part of the burner design. You may even consider a new matching gas tank and regulator.
When I built the loco in my avatar I used Roundhouse bodywork, motion, frames and cylinders with a custom built boiler, burner, gas tank and regulator from Tony Sant of Finescale Engineering. Tony's system has performed faultlessly for nigh on ten years but he may have retired by now, however I notice in the link to Chuffed 2 bits in a previous post that they are agents for Finescale. Based on this I suggest one option would be to approach them with your problem if you can't get it sorted locally.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Not a clue personally I'm afraid.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
here's the pictures Steve 1st up is the Accucraft burner and jet holder you can just see the single retaining screw on the flange
3b8ba3d34f3c4679b53ee8b8b591e306.jpg

The boiler tube is a lot smaller than the Beck/Roundhouse one
394ada45f9b64981b3d10f27e592079d.jpg

Side view of Accucraft burner
b2f3811e6cbe43f1a214d1f956e85f91.jpg

Now the Beck Roundhouse, Very similar and the same style you can see the brass core plug that is a friction fit inside the boiler tube
650efc2d0aab45728e84dff6dd17dc3b.jpg

And the Beck/Roundhouse boiler
73ba7e782b3c4ca999c95152d2861007.jpg

burner fit in boiler is tight but still a push fit.
f0a32abc524041f5ba2123df14c5e20b.jpg

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
a mere shell of it's former self.........................

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
All I know it is one of 10 made for Canadian National railroad for track inspection work. I would guess it would make a very comfortable inspection car!!

5569b34db2ac44b98faff18f11297b9c.jpg